Stocking for 220g with focus on easy..

bdejong1112o

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 220g tank is coming along good. I am probably going to add water to it by mid November. So now the big research project is what livestock to put into it.

The tank will be a reef tank so everything must be reef safe, trying to keep it simple and easy for me since this is the largest tank I have ever setup. While the main focus is coral my wife likes fish. I do not want nor am I ready for complicated feeding regimins. I also must have shrimp so nothing that will eat or threaten them is allowed. I do want one star attraction.

I have read page after page in this forum and have started my list and this is the basics I have so far. This list is in introduction order. The tank is new so there are no transfers from other tanks.
  1. Blue green chromis
    1. Thinking 3-5 of them all at once.
  2. Pajama cardinalfish fish
    1. Would like a small group of these as well. I think it would be cool to have two types of grouping fish.
  • Tail spot blenny.
    1. Not sure how many or if it's safe to have more than one.
    2. Don't know how long after introducing the chromis.
  • Exquisite firefish
    1. Would love to have this but am not sure about compatibility and if the order is right.
  • Lamarcks angelfish
    1. Read that these are reef safe. Not sure if they can be kept in numbers or just one.
  • Bellus angelfish
    1. Can I keep this one with the Lamarcks? Can I keep more than one?
  • Yellow pyramid butterfly fish
  • Foxface rabbitfish
  • Some sort of Tang.. yeah, this is the tough decision... I have some options but have not decided yet. Will only have one since it is meant to be the star of the tank.
    1. Naso, of course. Who doesn't like this one?
    2. Mimic lemmon peel
    3. Sailfin
    4. Chevron but a bit pricey.
So, this is the START of my list but I am more than open to suggestions and advice. I don't know if I am missing something beneficial to the tank. Again, the health and suitability to the tank size are top priorities for me.

Last edited:

leahfiish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chromis, while usually hardy once established, are prone to infections, so i would highly recommend quarantining them (and all fish but especially chromis from the ones you listed). Also, if you're going for a schooling effect, 5 chromis won't really do that in a 220, think 15-20 instead and even then they typically stop schooling and start fighting once they've settled in. In my experience, firefish and cardinals tend to stay in groups a little better. I think royal grammas would be a great choice if you wanted a group of rock-dwelling fish. You could have a small group of them and they are very colorful and hardy.

Cardinal fish and firefish can also be kept in pairs which is probably more stable long term, as long as the are true bonded pairs. Make sure you have a lid on your tank with no gaps.

It's probably best to do just 1 tailspot blenny but you can usually do more than once blenny as long as they are dissimilar in color and niche, especially in such a big tank.

I would probably add firefish early on as some of the first fish as they can be very very shy sometimes. I'm not sure if different species can be mixed.

I believe lamarks and bellus (and other genicanthus) can be kept in pairs or trios (mff) but it's possible for females to change to males so they might not coexist forever. I'm not sure about keeping multiple genicanthus although I suspect it would be okay if they are added at the same time.

Skip the butterfly if you're looking for easy and reef safe.

Foxface is a good choice, definitely add it before any tangs. They need to be fed algae sheets or pellets. There's a small chance of them picking at certain corals.

For the tang I think a naso would look great. But zebrasoma tend to be the easiest (less ich prone) so if you aren't going to qt and treat your fish prophylactically (all the fish not just the tang) then I would go with one of those.

You could also do a variety of gobies, I like Sharknose gobies and high fin gobies. They tend to be shy so add them early.

Fairy or Flasher wrasses would also be great choices and there's a huge variety of colors and choices there, all totally reef safe and usually easy once established.

OP
OP
bdejong1112o

bdejong1112o

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm, for some reason I am unable to edit my original post. I wanted to update the plan there as things change.

So to get chromis to swim togather it would take many more than 3 to 5? And if they will end up fighting and splitting up in the end it's maybe time to change the plan.
  1. Pajama cardinalfish fish
    1. Would like a small group of these.
    2. How many should I get to keep them in a group?
  2. Tail spot blenny. Just in of these based on the advice above.
    1. What other type of blenny would be good looking, easy to care for and also beneficial to the tank?
  3. Exquisite firefish
    1. Would love to have this but am not sure about compatibility and if the order is right.
  4. Lamarcks angelfish
    1. Read that these are reef safe. Not sure if they can be kept in numbers or just one.
    2. So maybe these can be kept in multiple. That would be very nice.
  5. Bellus angelfish
    1. Can I keep this one with the Lamarcks? Can I keep more than one.
  6. Foxface rabbitfish
  7. Some sort of Tang.. yeah, this is the tough decision... I have some options but have not decided yet. Will only have one since it is meant to be the star of the tank.
  1. Naso, of course. Who doesn't like this one? My only concern is the wild variations in recommended tank size and also people's tanks who keep them.
  2. Mimic lemmon peel
  3. Sailfin
  4. Chevron but a bit pricey
  5. Zebrasoma, recommended above.
I do plan on using a QT tank, will not sacrifice the larger community for nothing.

I will look at options for Wrasse and firefish, thanks for the suggestions.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my favorite blennies, good-looking, generally out & about, and in a very different ecological niche from the tailspot or other algae blennies, is the golden midas. In the wild, these guys have been spotted schooling with anthias, and they're a planktivore that spends most of their time high in the water column. You might also take a look at the various "fang-blennies".

You can keep multiple species of Genicanthus together, but only one can be male. A pair of Lamark's and a female bellus, for instance.

The sailfin tang is a member of the genus Zebrasoma, as are the yellow, purple, black, desjardinii and gem tangs. Sailfins and desjardinii get pretty big...

If your fish are listed in the order you plan to add, the firefish should be fine. Firefish usually do best as singles or bonded pairs (look for two at the LFS who are hanging together and defending their space against all comers).

At the local public aquarium, there are about half a dozen pajama cardinals in a 3,000 gallon tank (with lots of other fish). They tend to hang together up in the top left corner, not moving very much, just chillin'.

~Bruce

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pyramid butterflies are pretty reef safe, so should be fine on the list.

OP
OP
bdejong1112o

bdejong1112o

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the input. Midas blenny looks like a good addition. I like the fact that it tends to swim high in the water column. I do want a good balance in where the fish swim.

For the genicanthus I did not realize only one male across all species. Does this then mean that when ordering I need to ensure that I get all females and then they will figure out who will be the one male?

I will adjust the list and update the post so we can track the changes. Keep the ideas coming. So far it's looking good.

OP
OP
bdejong1112o

bdejong1112o

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the new list. I also corrected the numbering from the previous spot since it got messed up at the tang level.

2. Tail spot blenny. Just one of these based on the advice above.
    1. What other type of blenny would be good looking, easy to care for and also beneficial to the tank?
  3. Midas blenny. Just one.
  • Exquisite firefish
    1. Will look for a pair of these.
  • Lamarcks angelfish
    2. So maybe these can be kept in multiple. Thatwould be very nice.
  • Bellus angelfish
  • Foxface rabbitfish
  • Some sort of Tang.. yeah, this is the tough decision... I have some options but have not decided yet. Will only have one since it is meant to be the star of the tank. I am leaning toward the sailfin snce I like them and it would have room to grow.
  1. Naso, of course. Who doesn't like this one? My onlyconcern is the wild variations in recommended tank size and also people's tanks who keep them.
  2. Mimic lemmon peel
  3. Sailfin

Inverts? With the list above what would be good? I will look for a goby/shrimp pair because that's cool but what others will be beneficial and ok with the planned bio load. Also where in the list should they be added?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the new list. I also corrected the numbering from the previous spot since it got messed up at the tang level.

3. Midas blenny. Just one.
  • Exquisite firefish
    1. Will look for a pair of these.
  • Lamarcks angelfish
    2. So maybe these can be kept in multiple. Thatwould be very nice.
  • Bellus angelfish
  • Foxface rabbitfish
  • Some sort of Tang.. yeah, this is the tough decision... I have some options but have not decided yet. Will only have one since it is meant to be the star of the tank. I am leaning toward the sailfin snce I like them and it would have room to grow.
  1. Naso, of course. Who doesn't like this one? My onlyconcern is the wild variations in recommended tank size and also people's tanks who keep them.
  2. Mimic lemmon peel
  3. Sailfin
Inverts? With the list above what would be good? I will look for a goby/shrimp pair because that's cool but what others will be beneficial and ok with the planned bio load. Also where in the list should they be added?
Pj cardinals do fine singly, in prs, or in groups.

Add the firefish before the midas blenny.

For the Genicanthus angels get all females. Different species can be kept together in a sufficiently sized tank(yours is fine) and added simultaneously.

OP
OP
bdejong1112o

bdejong1112o

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's see if this list turns out right. Seem to have issues getting it done correctly. Lol

1. Pajama cardinalfish fish. Would like a small group of these so planning on maybe 6 and we will see how that goes.
3. Exquisite firefish. Adding before Midas based on suggestions
4. Midas blenny. Will look for a pair of these.
5. Lamarcks and Bellus angelfish. Will look to add them as juvinile with two of one type and one of the other so three in total.
6. Foxface rabbitfish
7. Some sort of Tang or tangs.. yeah, this is the tough decision... I have some options but have not decided yet. Will only have one, maybe two depending on how they behave or how big they get. One will be the star of the tank. I am leaning toward the sailfin snce I like them and it would have room to grow.
1. Naso, of course. Who doesn't like this one? Myonlyconcern is the wild variations in recommendedtank size and also people'stanks who keep them.
2. Mimic lemmon peel
3. Sailfin

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't come across too many midas blenny prs, so that may be difficult to acquire.

Naso tangs get huge, 18" when full grown.

Bluecbs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another butterfly that are primarily planktivores and considered reef safe is schooling bannerfish, heniochus diphreutes

OP
OP
bdejong1112o

bdejong1112o

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so my first Pajama Cardinals are doing great in QT. They are active, eating great and have zero signs of any disease. They will be going to the DT this weekend which means I am going to get ready for the next fish for my QT.

Below is the lost as it was but I have a new request/shall we say demand from my wife. CLOWNS.. MUST HAVE CLOWNS. Where should they sit in the list below?
  1. Pajama cardinalfish fish. I have 4 of these in the first batch.
  3. Exquisite firefish. Adding before Midas based on suggestions
  4. Midas blenny. Will look for a pair of these.
  5. Lamarcks and Bellus angelfish. Will look to add them as juvinile with two of one type and one of the other so three in total.
  6. Magnificent Foxface rabbitfish
  7. Some sort of Tang or tangs.. yeah, this is the tough decision... I have some options but have not decided yet. Will only have one, maybe two depending on how they behave or how big they get. One will be the star of the tank. I am leaning toward the sailfin snce I like them and it would have room to grow.
    1. Naso, of course. Who doesn't like this one? Myonlyconcern is the wild variations in recommendedtank size and also people's tanks who keep them.
    2. Mimic lemmon peel
    3. Sailfin

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clownfish can go in after the midas but before the angels.

A sailfin will work. Nasos get too big. I personally love the mimic. Yellow tangs are a ubiquitous reef fish.

biomek

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a 22o and have a tailspot blenny who's been in there for about 6 months first and then added a gold midas who's bigger and I haven't had any issues between them other than the midas will steal the tailspots cave, regardless of where it is, as soon as he leaves it. other than that, they are both out in the water column together. Due to them being so different in appearance, i think you would be perfectly fine adding a midas if thats of any interest with you. Desjardini sailfin was the first fish in the tank (yeah i know...) and he's been a model citizen and pals around with my one-spot foxy with the kole close behind. Sail postures up every now and then when the kole gets spazzy and things quickly settle down but other than initial tussle between the two the first week after the kole was introduced, they are civil.

dbraun15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which type of clowns? If something like a Maroon, they need to be added at the end due to their aggression. I would also look into some gobies/pistol shrimp pair as they will stay along the sand/bottom of tank. I've also got a 220 and have been adding fish slowly(currently have pair of perc clowns, royal gramma, yellow eyed kole tang, orange shoulder tang, and leopard wrasse).

Monkichi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think royal grammas would be a great choice if you wanted a group of rock-dwelling fish. You could have a small group of them and they are very colorful and hardy.

This is very interesting to me. I was going to add one because I had one about 13 years ago and loved it. I have a similar size tank 210, but didn't realize you can have more than one royal gramma. How many is a good group, 3?

bdejong1112o, I'd strongly consider this option as they are very interesting. Glad I stopped by this post.

A good group of fish I really like is a trio of Bartletts Anthias. One will go male, they are a little feisty but very active.

Speaking of feisty I had a trio of Heniochus also, at first they were always fighting until the 2 stronger ones killed off the the weaker one. The pair was then fine, but they are super aggressive, especially at feeding time, they will straight up steal food from others mouths. Both were lost to velvet this summer and I am not planning on restocking them even though they were super hardy and ate anything I dropped in, just too rowdy.

I do like your idea of triangle butterfly fish as it is also very visually appalling, but have no personal experience with them. If people can get these eating pellets, etc then this might be a really good choice for a butterfly.

OP
OP
bdejong1112o

bdejong1112o

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where would something like a 6 line wrasse fit in my stocking list and which order?

I heard they are good at pest control for corals. Plus i keep seeing them and they are very cool.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A sixline will be problematic with a firefish.

While good at pest control, sixlines are known to be jerks. Other good pest control wrasses that are peaceful include yellow coris, melanurus, grey head, iridis.

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A sixline will be problematic with a firefish.

While good at pest control, sixlines are known to be jerks. Other good pest control wrasses that are peaceful include yellow coris, melanurus, grey head, iridis.
+1 on the yellow coris. Bright, active, peaceful, and will eat some pests. Can't ask for much more from a reef fish. Make sure you have a sand bed to support it.

OP
OP
bdejong1112o

bdejong1112o

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE:
So, from my list a few things have changed and are reflected below.
  1. Pajama cardinalfish fish. I have 4 of these in the the DT. They completed QT just fine. They hang out togather most of them time but occasionally go thier seperate ways.
  2. Bonded pair ocellaris clown fish, Male and Female were added a few weeks after the cardinals. The female had a bout with internal parisites but a round of general cure cleared that right up. They are doing great in the display and get along with the cardinals great. The only issue so far is the female nips my hand each time its in the tank for maintenance. Just a nip but what an annoyance. She doesnt nip when I feed her... lol
  3. Pink spotted watchman goby. This is in QT right now. Decided on adding a bottom dweller next and this guy was found at the LFS. I added a few pounds of fresh substrate to the QT for him to play with. He is eating great and is very active so far. I expect he will clear QT with a clean bill of health. I placed all my rocks directly on the glass before adding substrate so it should be safe for him once in the DT.
  4. Blenny will be next. Just need to decisde which types and how many.
    1. l spot blenny. Just one of these based on the advice above.
    2. Midas blenny. Will look for a pair of these.
  5. Need recomendations for a wrass, now that I see more and understand the benefits I would like one or more in the tank.
  6. Royal gramma, more than one.
  7. Lamarcks and Bellus angelfish. Will look to add them as juvinile with two of one type and one of the other so three in total.
  8. Magnificent Foxface rabbitfish
  9. Some sort of Tang or tangs.. yeah, this is the tough decision... I have some options but have not decided yet. Will only have one, maybe two depending on how they behave or how big they get. One will be the star of the tank. I am leaning toward the sailfin snce I like them and it would have room to grow.
    1. Naso, of course. Who doesn't like this one? Myonlyconcern is the wild variations in recommendedtank size and also people's tanks who keep them.
    2. Mimic lemmon peel
    3. Sailfin

So as noted above once the goby clears QT I am thinking a bleny or wrass will be beneficial and could be added next. What are the recomendations here? I assume the blenny type should be next and before the wrass types. Can I have more than one for each and which will get along with current tank mates and the remainder of the list?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back