Stocking for frag tank pest control and algea control

JohnIsNewToReefKeeping

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two 40-gallon tanks I have plumbed into my main display 75-gallon. The problem is the frag tanks are in the basement and I only go to the basement once a week and don't want to put an auto feeder since it will drop too much food for a sapphire damsel and lawn mower blenny x2 since there are two tanks, is there anything I can get away with for pest control since I know snails can go after algae.

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is there anything that I dont need to feed that can work as pest control:?
Unless the tank is very very large few fish are going to get enough nutrition from just scavenging--definitely not at that size. An arrow crab would eat a lot of pests but would get hungry if not fed and start skewering the fish in there

OP
OP
J

JohnIsNewToReefKeeping

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless the tank is very very large few fish are going to get enough nutrition from just scavenging--definitely not at that size. An arrow crab would eat a lot of pests but would get hungry if not fed and start skewering the fish in there
would arrow head crabs handle high waterflow?

OP
OP
J

JohnIsNewToReefKeeping

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would be a good option

Not really helping but is there a reason you only go to the basement once a week? Just curious because I have a hard time going 8 hours without checking on things and couldn't imagine going a week without checking in even if they are only frags.
main display is on first floor and sump is in basement and frag tank will be in the basement.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 62 43.4%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 69 48.3%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 12 8.4%
Back