Stocking ideas and scape ideas.

Jlit249

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve had my tank running for about two months now.
I have have two young oscellaris clowns. They are doing great and eating well.
I’m about to order the salifert mag/calc/alk test kits.

I’m ready to starting with corals hopefully soon. I really want to get frogspawn or hammers, so my clowns can have a place to host(hopefully). But I really like the way they look.

Unfortunately I didn’t scape my tank before I filled it I just threw dry rock in to get the tank cycled. So I have to finish that. I would like some opinions on how I should scape it and also some new tank mates possibly.
I have some algae growth so I gotta back the lights off a bit.
I also snagged this reef octopus classic 90 hang on back skimmer for 60 bucks.

-40 gallon cube AIO

12A29BC7-627E-4041-A719-20B40DD2C7E0.jpeg 67F41167-4AB8-4ACF-AA0C-FAEB0D42372F.jpeg 3F973C1B-D8AF-49BC-808E-BDA550FE40F0.jpeg 6ED7C0D4-E1EF-45AA-BF5C-E42A2A6897D0.jpeg

MightyMO

"The Algae made me do it!!!"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You used the 2 clowns as water canarys?!? Get nitrite/nitrate and ammonia test kits. Also pick yourself up a bottle of beneficial bacteria to seed the tank, follow instructions on the bottle. Adding more won't make it work better... How long has the tank been running???

OP
OP
J

Jlit249

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No no, sorry. I did a fish less cycle. My ammonia is 0ppm nitrites are 0ppm and nitrates are 30ppm. Then I added my clowns.

MightyMO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You used the 2 clowns as water canarys?!? Get nitrite/nitrate and ammonia test kits. Also pick yourself up a bottle of beneficial bacteria to seed the tank, follow instructions on the bottle. Adding more won't make it work better... How long has the tank been running???
Ok, reread the post. 2 months... Still would be a good idea to get the things I mentione above... And set your rock work, then seed your tank with some beneficial bacteria... It will make your rock work act as a filter, breaking down the harmful stuff in your water to something more acceptable...

OP
OP
J

Jlit249

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No no, sorry. I did a fish less cycle. My ammonia is 0ppm nitrites are 0ppm and nitrates are 30ppm. Then I added my clowns.
The fish are doing amazing and eating. No signs of illness. My scape just isn’t finished yet. And I’d like to also maybe start a clean up crew or a new tank mate possibly.

MightyMO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fish are doing amazing and eating. No signs of illness. My scape just isn’t finished yet. And I’d like to also maybe start a clean up crew or a new tank mate possibly.
Keep monitoring those parameters after adding the rock work... if things look stable, I say go for it...

OP
OP
J

Jlit249

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, reread the post. 2 months... Still would be a good idea to get the things I mentione above... And set your rock work, then seed your tank with some beneficial bacteria... It will make your rock work act as a filter, breaking down the harmful stuff in your water to something more acceptable...
I dosed with ammonium chloride from Fritz. And added fritzyme 9 at the very start.

OP
OP
J

Jlit249

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you adding live or dry rock???
So I started with dry rock. I wanted a clean slate as this is my first ever saltwater tank. I plan on adding more dry rock or maybe Live rock. Like Carib sea live rock.

dr.ben

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have CUC to manage your algae?

I know some with blanche, but I have a small xenia colony and my clowns host in that. I suspect if you get lucky with your clowns they will host in anything that moves!!

Parent_usmc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use carib sea live rock in my rsr250. It looks great and you can get it in awsome shapes. Check my build thread if your interested in seeing an arch design. They also have flat rocks and ones with holes like caves

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 103 43.5%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 79 33.3%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 39 16.5%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.7%
Back