Stocking ideas

Nigel35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eventually ( though I pray this day never comes lol) my yellow tang and flame angel will grow out my 45 mixed reef. I'm looking into other options but most of what I come across is no bueno. I prefer a lidless tank so no jumpers... I Thought about a baby fox face that I could move to a larger tank when it comes of age but I don't know if that is a great idea. Current tank inhabitants that will be there would be a pair of clownfish, cleaner shrimp, sand sifting starfish, and CUC. Ideas, comments, concerns greatly appreciated.

Nigel

sarcophytonIndy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the flame angel should not outgrow your 45, the yellow probably will. You might try a bristletooth tang like a tomini or a kole. They both tend to stay on the small side longer than most tangs.

Zakery Murray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you ever consider adding a lid, most of the fish will jump even if they say they won't they have the ability to do so. Also have a lot of recommendations but all jump.

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is an idea, but I do like the aesthetic look of no lid
I mean heaps of people have no lid, but yeah, just know and prepare yourself as any fish can end up carpet-surfing. Basically any fish you could google and find an examples of jumping. Clownfish in particular, by the way, since you mentioned them.

If you are happy to accept the risks then it is probably easier for recommendations.

sarcophytonIndy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think jumping is inevitable with rimless tanks. I have had good luck with my old school 125. The only issue I have had is fish jumping into the overflow and ending up in the sump.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plenty of fish that won’t jump. Mandarin dragonet, jaw fish, when they establish their cave, shrimp goby with their shrimp, Dottyback, Royal gramma, damsels... ... .

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 47 85.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 3 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.5%
Back