reefo420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the tank is 123 gallons including sump
i believe the display is 93 gallon

I've just set up the tank, but want to decide on fish first
this system will be temporary - for approx 2years since I'm moving into a new house then
Tentative stock list:
Thinking of starting them all as babies/juvenile
Fish
pair of ocellaris clownfish
some anthias 2-3? not sure what kind would love some recommendations

baby regal tang (I will upgrade if needed, if i see any signs of it being unhappy)
sand sifting goby
some wrasse? not sure what kind
Magnificent Foxface
White Tail or Twin Spot Bristletooth Tang
Valentini puffer fish

in what order do i add these and what recommendations do u guys have?

thanks!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the tank is 123 gallons including sump
i believe the display is 93 gallon

I've just set up the tank, but want to decide on fish first
this system will be temporary - for approx 2years since I'm moving into a new house then
Tentative stock list:
Thinking of starting them all as babies/juvenile
Fish
pair of ocellaris clownfish
some anthias 2-3? not sure what kind would love some recommendations

baby regal tang (I will upgrade if needed, if i see any signs of it being unhappy)
sand sifting goby
some wrasse? not sure what kind
Magnificent Foxface
White Tail or Twin Spot Bristletooth Tang
Valentini puffer fish

in what order do i add these and what recommendations do u guys have?

thanks!
The only two issues I see on that list are the Goby and the Regal Tang. The rest should be alright. I wouldn’t start a Regal in a 4’ tank and then wait to upgrade as these are fast growers IME. My old one went from 2 inch to 5 inch in just under 1.5 years. This is a tang I would wait until you get a 6’ tank before thinking about one (and even then some think a 6’ is too small for this tang).

Now, a Sandsifting Goby is a bad idea unless you can have a 2-3” sand bed that’s mainly left open. This is because this is a fish that decimates life in sand that’s too shallow and not mature enough. You really do want Atleast a 2.5-3” sandbed that’s 3-4 years old (and this is bare minimum) to have these guys thrive.

OP
OP
R

reefo420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only two issues I see on that list are the Goby and the Regal Tang. The rest should be alright. I wouldn’t start a Regal in a 4’ tank and then wait to upgrade as these are fast growers IME. My old one went from 2 inch to 5 inch in just under 1.5 years. This is a tang I would wait until you get a 6’ tank before thinking about one (and even then some think a 6’ is too small for this tang).

Now, a Sandsifting Goby is a bad idea unless you can have a 2-3” sand bed that’s mainly left open. This is because this is a fish that decimates life in sand that’s too shallow and not mature enough. You really do want Atleast a 2.5-3” sandbed that’s 3-4 years old (and this is bare minimum) to have these guys thrive.
Thank you for your reply, I'm glad I posted because i didn't know anything about #2, I did get 120 lbs of sand for this 91 gallon so it should be enough, what's the alternatives for a regal tang?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your reply, I'm glad I posted because i didn't know anything about #2, I did get 120 lbs of sand for this 91 gallon so it should be enough, what's the alternatives for a regal tang?
I personally love the Sapphire Damsels which make excellent pest hunters and also give you the stunning blues. They also don’t hold the aggression most other damsels give.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
any wrasse recommendations? can i have more than 1?
You can have several wrasses as long as they aren’t aggressive species like Sixlines. If you can get a list of the ones you want together we can pick through them :)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back