Stocking order for fish?

GoneReefin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. My Reefer 350 G2 (72 gallon display, 18 gallon sump, 4’) is cycled and I added the two clowns and 1 PJ cardinal I had from my last tank yesterday. While I’ve had all 3 for about a year now in my first tank I still put them through a copper treatment in QT before adding them to the new tank.

I know I’ve got to wait a couple of weeks but I’m getting excited about adding some new fish finally! Below is what I’d like to add to my tank. More utilitarian / preventative fish to start with. Any thoughts on order?

Yellow captive tang (yes I’ll rehome after a year)
Tomini tang
Six line wrasse
Filefish
CUC

Any other recommendations? I’d like to add a gobi and dragonet once the tank is more established in the future

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the yellow tang maxes you out for tangs. Sixline is fine (you'll get mixed opinions here); check the filefish type for reef compatibility. Other considerations:

* Royal gramma or dottyback
* Yellow coris wrasse
* Flame hawkfish
* Coral beauty dawrf angel
* Midas blenny

A mandarin is fine once you've established your tank and seeded with copepods. Try to opt for captive bred so you have a better chance of getting them to eat frozen.

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On dragonets/ mandarin, I cycled empty for 8 months to build pod culture in my aquriam, definitely worth the extra time, and additional pod culture. I culture pods (to my best ability still working on them, also 10 packs of pods delivered monthly ) I also add live artemia daily, I have tried various live, frozen, dry, but they love frozen bloodworms, thier choice :)
I think if you get everything in place before adding dragonet especially pods they will have a great life :)

Attachments

• VID20220721151230.mp4
    29.9 MB

homegrowncichlid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the bristle mouth tang needs a dirty tank to feed off, if your glass and rockwork is too clean, it'll starve out. As for limits on how many tangs can fit into there, heh, if you can feed them all, be my guest. You can keep only one bristle mouth (not only do they not tolerate each other, but there probably isn't enough slime growing in there to feed more than one), one acanthuris genus, as they are intolerant of others of the same genus, but I keep multiple zebrasomas without long term issues, as long as you introduce them at the same time or manage their aggression.

Don't bother with a dragonette, unless its the scooter blenny, which seems to adapt to dry food, over time, provided you have enough live food growing in there to support it that long.

The 6-line will learn to eat your snails/hermit crabs and any small shimps you may want to add in the future.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll always recommend a Goby/Pistol Shrimp duo. Fun to watch those guys build tunnels, caves and interact with each other!
Completely agree with this. I’ve always been a huge fan of gobies (No literally… I had 6, went to 7 today and still want another once weve identified it). Finally acquired a must have symbiotic relationship with these guys today.
Have yet to see or hear them however I do look forward to it.
AA5D4D9F-0986-4E3A-85F0-9157410A819F.jpeg

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. My Reefer 350 G2 (72 gallon display, 18 gallon sump, 4’) is cycled and I added the two clowns and 1 PJ cardinal I had from my last tank yesterday. While I’ve had all 3 for about a year now in my first tank I still put them through a copper treatment in QT before adding them to the new tank.

I know I’ve got to wait a couple of weeks but I’m getting excited about adding some new fish finally! Below is what I’d like to add to my tank. More utilitarian / preventative fish to start with. Any thoughts on order?

Yellow captive tang (yes I’ll rehome after a year)
Tomini tang
Six line wrasse
Filefish
CUC

Any other recommendations? I’d like to add a gobi and dragonet once the tank is more established in the future
Sixline is a big no, here’s a post I wrote earlier for someone recommending a six line to someone saying it would do well in a 40 breeder.
They just don’t get along with many if

Absolutely not, in that size tank the sixline would be overwhelmingly aggressive. They’re nowhere near peaceful and with a wrasse already in there the sixline is most likely to be much worse.

If you look at the stories of good sixlines, then 9 times out of 10 you’ll be reading similar posts from the same people. The lined wrasses of the genus pseudocheilinus are really meant to be recommended for the most aggressive of tanks. And if housed with other wrasses then, personally I feel these wrasses should be housed with other wrasses around the same aggression levels

Here’s a few recommendations for wrasses in a 4’ tank that will do the same job with less aggression :)

- Macropharyngodon negrosensis
- Halichoeres iridis
- Halichoeres chrysus
- Halichoeres timorensis
- Halichoeres biocellatus
- Halichoeres argus
- Halichoeres melanurus
- Halichoeres vroliki
- Halichoeres richmondi
- Halichoeres melasmapomus
- Halichoeres pallidus
- Halichoeres trimaculatus

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 33 34.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 20.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 9.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 6.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 26 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back