Stocking Order help?

Kiara_Pyrenei

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I'm starting up a 25g nano tank. It's my first tank, I'm looking at adding my first fish in the near future once my tank has completely finished cycling, but I'm not sure about what order to put things in.

Here's my Ideal Future stocking list, as it is right now:

Clownfish x2
Banggai Cardinal
Firefish
Randall's Goby (w/ pistol shrimp)
Orchid Dottyback

I also have a wishlist of eventual inverts like a blood fire/peppermint/sexy shrimp, pom pom crabs, a clam, plus the usual crew of snails, hermits and a conch.

It seems like most people start their tanks with a clownfish pair first due to their hardiness, BUT i've heard you should add peaceful fish first and aggressive fish last, and the cardinal, firefish and goby are probably more peaceful than the clowns. So the question is, which should I start with? (I assume the dottyback should be Last lol)

If I add the clowns first, will they become too territorial and cause problems when adding fish later on? If I add more peaceful fish first, which one should I start with after cycling and in what order should I add them?

(Also, as a note, Yes, I am aware this is will be a pretty heavily stocked tank. I am not planning on adding these all at once or even one after another, but rather over the course of 1-2 years, I'm looking for long term advice. That's part of why I'm concerned about the clowns getting territorial if I have only them for a long period. I have a skimmer, plan on doing regular water changes, and am generally willing to keep up with the maintenance and filtering required to stock heavily in the future. I also do not plan on keeping SPS corals, just LPS and softies.)

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would probably add the clownfish last because, well - clownfish. You can add the non-clownfish in any order really. The dottyback is probably the second fish I'd put in after the goby.

OP
OP
Kiara_Pyrenei

Kiara_Pyrenei

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would probably add the clownfish last because, well - clownfish. You can add the non-clownfish in any order really. The dottyback is probably the second fish I'd put in after the goby.
Huh. I'm curious, can you explain a little more about your thought process? I'd heard that dottybacks are fair aggressive compared to firefish and cardinals, so I'm curious. Why the goby first? And why the clownfish last? Im new so I don't have any experience with what they're like haha

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Huh. I'm curious, can you explain a little more about your thought process? I'd heard that dottybacks are fair aggressive compared to firefish and cardinals, so I'm curious. Why the goby first? And why the clownfish last? Im new so I don't have any experience with what they're like haha
I have a pair of dottybacks (sunshine and striped) and they're very docile towards all other fish. They do like to carve out their own spot in crevices or under rocks, though - which is why I suggest adding them after the goby/shrimp have figured out their lair.

As for the clownfish, they can be total ***** so I'd add them last because you may find another type of fish or two that you'd may want to add instead. Also, by adding them last you minimize any aggression along the way.

OP
OP
Kiara_Pyrenei

Kiara_Pyrenei

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pair of dottybacks (sunshine and striped) and they're very docile towards all other fish. They do like to carve out their own spot in crevices or under rocks, though - which is why I suggest adding them after the goby/shrimp have figured out their lair.

As for the clownfish, they can be total ***** so I'd add them last because you may find another type of fish or two that you'd may want to add instead. Also, by adding them last you minimize any aggression along the way.
I see... Interesting. If I was to add a wrasse, say a 6 line or a flasher wrasse, where would you put those in the list? I know 6 lines are agressive how do they compare to the clowns?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see... Interesting. If I was to add a wrasse, say a 6 line or a flasher wrasse, where would you put those in the list? I know 6 lines are agressive how do they compare to the clowns?
I probably wouldn't put a 6-line on the list due to the tank size and as they're somewhat controversial (I like them, but that's just me). A flasher wrasse is fine.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me it all looks good, except for the dottyback, they can be jerks. I would say your tank is full at about 5 small fish
Agreed. 5-6 small fish is probably maxing it (I've had more but I don't necessarily recommend it).

OP
OP
Kiara_Pyrenei

Kiara_Pyrenei

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me it all looks good, except for the dottyback, they can be jerks.
I would say your tank is full at about 5 small fish
I have heard that, that last spot I've been kinda debating between a 6 line, an orchid dottyback, and a flasher wrasse.

The 6 line is probably a no since i've heard they're real ***** but I've heard they can be real useful for certain pests people keep recommending them. And the dottyback looks great and eats bristleworms (i am kinda terrified of bristleworms so I like the idea of having something that eats them). Meanwhile the flasher wrasse is SO pretty but doesn't eat any pests so. I'm kinda up in the air about it, leaning towards trying out the dottyback, added last to hopefully mitigate aggression.

But yeah this is like, my final plan for a "full" tank so i wouldn't be adding more than this.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard that, that last spot I've been kinda debating between a 6 line, an orchid dottyback, and a flasher wrasse.

The 6 line is probably a no since i've heard they're real ***** but I've heard they can be real useful for certain pests people keep recommending them. And the dottyback looks great and eats bristleworms (i am kinda terrified of bristleworms so I like the idea of having something that eats them). Meanwhile the flasher wrasse is SO pretty but doesn't eat any pests so. I'm kinda up in the air about it, leaning towards trying out the dottyback, added last to hopefully mitigate aggression.

But yeah this is like, my final plan for a "full" tank so i wouldn't be adding more than this.
Very honestly, the tank is too small for any wrasse, it will be taking a big chance on aggression and/or disease from stress from being in a small tank. Flasher wrasses should be in a 50ish gallon tank size.

OP
OP
Kiara_Pyrenei

Kiara_Pyrenei

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very honestly, the tank is too small for any wrasse, it will be taking a big chance on aggression and/or disease from stress from being in a small tank. Flasher wrasses should be in a 50ish gallon tank size.
Oh, I see. Are there any other fish you might recommend for that last slot? I am looking for something that is either just, Very bright/pretty or that eats common pests XD

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, I see. Are there any other fish you might recommend for that last slot? I am looking for something that is either just, Very bright/pretty or that eats common pests XD
A yellow tailed damsel would ad a nice pop of blue, stay small and are a much more peaceful damsel.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back