Stocking question

Ryan Depoister

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the 20L an I’m stuck on how to stock a saltwater. I’ve done freshwater for almost 20 years but this is my first salty. What I’m basically looking for is a sand sifter, some inverts, an some mid level fish for it.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a good sand-sifter, you could get a conch... and some shrimp-gobies will sometimes sift sand. As a bonus, the shrimp-goby / pistol shrimp symbiotic relationship is fun to observe. I would avoid "true" sandsifting gobies in a 20g, just because they can have a very specialized diet and often perish in small or under-established tanks once the sandbed flora and fauna is depleted. There are snails that can help clean your sand as well, like the nassarius and cerith.

Stocking fish in saltwater is a bit different than fresh. You will be stocking much lighter than a 20g freshwater tank, depending on your plans for filtration. For example, for a 20L with a normal HOB filter (no sump) I wouldn't probably suggest more than 2-3 fish total. You also want to avoid stocking multiples of the same species in most cases. A percula or ocellaris clown would work, maybe a basslet or firefish (I love the yellow assessor, it's a bit crypic but swims upside down which is kind of cool). You could also get away with a pygmy wrasse (wetmorella sp). If you do choose a wrasse or dartfish, a tight fitting screen top is required to prevent carpet surfing.

There's other good ones as well, you could check out the "nano fish" section on Live Aquaria for some ideas, just make sure to research new additions thoroughly.

Welcome to the salty-side :)

OP
OP
Ryan Depoister

Ryan Depoister

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I wouldn’t do it to a 20 but I’m not afraid of adding filtration, I’m running around 2k gph on my 55 gallon Oscar tank. But ima just stick with the tidal 55 I got now.

OP
OP
Ryan Depoister

Ryan Depoister

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The miss did say something about a purple firefish? I have her looking at pics of smaller aquarium fish for like -30 gallon tanks.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, purple firefish are small, generally hardy, and peaceful... but profilic jumpers so that's where a screen top comes in handy. You can make your own pretty easily though, just get a normal window-screen frame, cut to size, and you can buy clear plastic netting either at a hardware store or I ordered mine from BRS (bulk reef supply).

Crested

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would definitely recommend a firefish, they have great personality and are stunning colors. As far as sand sifters go I agree with a shrimp/goby pairing. Your best bet would probably be a yellow watchman goby with a randalls/red banded pistol shrimp.
They're relationship is so much fun to watch. The shrimp will dig under rocks and create burrows and let's the goby live with it but in return the goby acts as a seeing eye dog for the shrimp and hovers above the shrimp as it digs

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A word of caution on firefish. They generally are super skittish and easily bullied by other fish and clownfish can be super assertive once established. My purple firefish was the number 1 target for bullying when I had it and ended up hiding most of the time. If you like the purple color and shape I would personally go with a royal gramma basslet. It will be much more likely to stick up for itself and is generally more visible. For sand sifting a yellow goby, rainsford/court jester goby or something like a pink spotted goby would work.

OP
OP
Ryan Depoister

Ryan Depoister

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the tank as it sets now

image.jpg

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back