Stocking questions

LifelessLewis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, new to reefing and have a livestock question. I have an aquaone aqua nano 40. It's a 55L all in one square tank. About 45l in the display area roughly.

It's still pretty new, I have a couple of cleaner shrimp and 3 turbo snails, I think I also have a brittle star that hitchhiked in on some liverock. For corals I have. Xenia, small zoa frag and a single Duncan head.

I want two Percula or occelaris clownfish and one other small fish like a neon or a clown goby. Is this too much for the tank? If so, what are the reasons?

I plan to do 25% weekly water changes and it's only a small tank so it's not too big of a job.

Thanks.

LiLinka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m f you have sand I would recommend some nessarius to stir the sand. 5 is good for your size tank. Some hermits to eat the algea that had structure to it. Would recommend 5 or 6 for your size. And some more turbos as well as some trochus maybe. Just to spice up your clean up crew. I like 10% weekly water changes. I find 25% to pull a lot of nitrates over time. Doing larger water changes weekly reduces nitrates and occasionally I actually need to raise nitrates in my tank. As far as clowns add them in in pairs not 1 at a time. Make sure they are same species. Percula with percula. Ocelaris with ocelaris. You could do a goby or perhaps a wrasse. Something small. You could also get away with the 2 clowns and cleaner shrimp just fine. I wouldn’t got more than 3 small fish though. Remember the clowns are going to get bigger. Happy reefing!

OP
OP
L

LifelessLewis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m f you have sand I would recommend some nessarius to stir the sand. 5 is good for your size tank. Some hermits to eat the algea that had structure to it. Would recommend 5 or 6 for your size. And some more turbos as well as some trochus maybe. Just to spice up your clean up crew. I like 10% weekly water changes. I find 25% to pull a lot of nitrates over time. Doing larger water changes weekly reduces nitrates and occasionally I actually need to raise nitrates in my tank. As far as clowns add them in in pairs not 1 at a time. Make sure they are same species. Percula with percula. Ocelaris with ocelaris. You could do a goby or perhaps a wrasse. Something small. You could also get away with the 2 clowns and cleaner shrimp just fine. I wouldn’t got more than 3 small fish though. Remember the clowns are going to get bigger. Happy reefing!
Thanks for the advice, yeah I plan to get more clean-up crew, it's only really just finished the cycle so wanting to stock it slowly.

So 2 clowns and another small fish should be fine then? Lots of conflicting info about it online haha. Cheers.

JaaxReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I wouldn’t put clowns in a tank under 20 gallons unless you bought really small captive bred ones and were planning to upgrade in a year or two. Maybe a goby like a rainfordi or a clown goby. Perhaps with a possum wrasse? Just ideas.

OP
OP
L

LifelessLewis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I wouldn’t put clowns in a tank under 20 gallons unless you bought really small captive bred ones and were planning to upgrade in a year or two. Maybe a goby like a rainfordi or a clown goby. Perhaps with a possum wrasse? Just ideas.
Thanks for the advice, will look into those fish.

OP
OP
L

LifelessLewis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also did not realize it was 12 I thought it was closer to 15 gallons that’s an issue on my end. You can do some gobies or a single clown!
I'd be happy to keep a single clown and some other fish, but from what I see online they tend be happier in pairs. What do you think about that?

LiLinka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd be happy to keep a single clown and some other fish, but from what I see online they tend be happier in pairs. What do you think about that?
Clowns are recommended to add in pairs so if you ever have the intention of adding another one to the tank which I don’t think is a good idea considering it’s 13 gallons, keeping one is fine but the clown prefer to be in pairs due to dominance.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 17.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 17.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 47 51.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.8%
Back