Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 180 set up April 2022. Current stocking is:

- Hippo tang
- Desjardini sailfin tang
- Foxface
- Ocellaris clownfish pair
- Tiger pistol (lost his goby a couple of years ago when I upgraded to this tank)

I’d like to add:
- Flame hawk
- Marine betta
- Yasha goby for the shrimp
- A shoal of 3-5 zebra dartfish or damsels
- Maybe a wrasse for future pest issues (six line??)

Suggestions? I’d love to have the damsels but am afraid of aggression… maybe azure or yellowtail would be ok?

Any suggestions on a useful wrasse?

Thank you!

3932EF3E-2563-47A5-BAC1-A06C78DF8184.jpeg

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 180 set up April 2022. Current stocking is:

- Hippo tang
- Desjardini sailfin tang
- Foxface
- Ocellaris clownfish pair
- Tiger pistol (lost his goby a couple of years ago when I upgraded to this tank)

I’d like to add:
- Flame hawk
- Marine betta
- Yasha goby for the shrimp
- A shoal of 3-5 zebra dartfish or damsels
- Maybe a wrasse for future pest issues (six line??)

Suggestions? I’d love to have the damsels but am afraid of aggression… maybe azure or yellowtail would be ok?

Any suggestions on a useful wrasse?

Thank you!

3932EF3E-2563-47A5-BAC1-A06C78DF8184.jpeg
I have a yellow wrasse that is chill and gets along with everyone. He spends the Day hunting.

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want a very nice looking Damsel that’s a bit more expensive than the average Damsel, I would look for a Starcki. They have a different shape, more Angel-like than your Azures and Yellowtails while not being overly aggressive for a Damsel.

For a 180 I would definitely consider the smaller large Angels: I think you can do 2. Some combination of Majestic (easily sourced as captive bred from Biota), Gold Flake (available captive bred from Biota), Regal (available as captive bred), Blue Line (Poma Labs captive bred), or the Genicanthus angels would look great. As a big Angelfish fan I can’t imagine not having at least one or a pair of angels.

If you do 2, I might drop a Tang. I think a Desjardini long-term really belongs in an 8-foot tank, so maybe drop that one for one or two of the larger angels. You could consider a pair of the Genicanthus angels, especially the Spot Breast, Bellus, Watanabei. The Lamarck’s has simpler patterning, black and white, but there’s a simplistic beauty to them.

You could also consider the dwarf angels of which a 180 is big enough for all of them.

Marine Bettas are awesome and would make a great addition IMO, they have certain habitat preferences of which I don’t know the most about, so feel free to ask the others.

OP
OP
itgoeson

itgoeson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a 180 I would definitely consider the smaller large Angels
I had a captive bred coral beauty in my old 45G that constantly nipped corals… I’ve avoided angels altogether due to that risk. Are they less likely to do that in a larger tank? Any tips for reducing the risk?

Those Starcki damsels are beautiful, thanks for that suggestion!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 145 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back