Stocking the biocube

soldier.1102

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious here but, if you had a 32G biocube, currently with a shrimp, purple fire fish, royal gramma, and two clowns....what would you do different?

OP
OP
S

soldier.1102

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe if the tank is stable and established a nem for the clowns. Or you could do some cool inverts, like a Pom Pom crab
I’ve been thinking about it....(obviously not any time soon), but I am definitely starting to think about corals. I’ve never done it before, so I’m definitely intrigued

TVV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
make a budjet. find and be patient, ha ha/ corals in your budget and stock away.

OP
OP
S

soldier.1102

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m definitely wanting to one day upgrade...for now I really wanna learn every little thing. Being in Kansas, it’s hard even counting neighboring states to find a good store. But for fun, I’ve kicked around using this a hospital tank or something if I upgrade

TVV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious, what corals or Inverts would you do? Gimme the list haha feather dusters? What’s a good starting point?

This is my 32 biocube led. 15 months old. First off, I changed the lights to steves to support the SPS on top. Then I changed the filter to intank refugium and intank media tray, added a MP40 and changed the return pump to a stronger one.

I started with toadstool (got big so I booted him), hollywood stunner (got tired of him so booted him), kenya tree (still have some but got out most of them (nuisance spreads everywhere), convict mushrooms (still like those but put in back bottom to get them out of the way), grandis palythoa colony and green paly colony (they melted away when I blasted them with Part 2, not a big loss). Pulsing xenia and clove polyps (still have them for now-like them but shading out my zoanthids, probably getting the boot)
Fish: started with ocellaris clown whilst cycling. After 3 month cycle: royal gramma (died after a month), black bar chromis jumped into filter and died, clown wrasse (died within a week), high fin goby and pistol shrimp (still have the goby, had to feed the pistol shrimp to the fish cause he kept moving sand and burying corals) . Clean up crew: 10 small blue leg hermits, turbo snails, cerith snails, margarita snails, emerald crabs, cleaner shrimp, 3 peppermint shrimp, lawnmower blenny (now that I have zero algae for them to eat, aiptasia eradicated, most of the snails died and the emerald crabs are eating my blue kiss and rasta zoas (if I could catch them I would eat them!), (the peppermint shrimp got eaten by predators-not sure which ones), cleaner shrimp is still ruling the roost.

After 8 months or so: Corals: Acan lords (having limited success), candy canes (started with 4, now it is huge and in the center of the front of the tank), green hairy mushrooms (one into 2), common hammer (2 into 5 heads), dragon soul goniastrea dong great, favia growing slow but happy, gorgonian (gonna get the boot), green star polyps (look cool but big mistake), blue clove polyps (again cool but big mistake), forest fire mushrooms (got huge and one turned to 2 and splitting), zoanthids (struggling with shade issues and hungry emerald crabs, sun corals (got tired of feeding them daily (died), SPS corals from jason fox but cant remember the names - they went from 1" to what you see in the pic very fast, and then there are the torches my favorite but they sting anything within reach and the indo's have a long reach - 6". Of those I have todds (bought on R2R), aussie golds (bought one from calikid and the other from extreme), indo gold (calikid), what was sold to reefer on R2R as holy grail but is some sort of dragon soul (love it), black torch (AquaSD), purple torches with green tips (R2R), purple torch with blue tips (R2R), purple torch with yellow tips (tropical fish bowl in Lafayette, LA). All torches increasing in size and heads except the gold aussie with blue tips.

Fish after 8 months: another clown to keep the first company (white), sapphire damsel to eat pests, purple dartfish for granddaughter, 2 bengali cardinal fish, coral beauty angel (had to but might be a mistake, nips on corals).

Hope this helps you get kicked off.
There are easy soft corals and inverts you can start with but be advised that some grow and take over the tank fast making it hard to upgrade your reef. As you spend the big bucks for what you really want, it is disappointing to have the nearly free ones be responsible for the death of your favorites. It is even more disappointing to have a $9.00 crab eat $500.00 meal in a couple of days because you finally got rid of the green hair algae, removing his diet! Guy at my LFS said "you can't blame him, what would you do?"....so I'm taking his advice and following suit to catch and eat them!

Oct 24_2019.jpg

OP
OP
S

soldier.1102

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow let me say for starters, absolutely beautiful. Your tank will be my gold standard for sure. I’m new to the coral scene, I have done a lot of fish only set ups and I’m wanting to get thru to inverts and coral...I have the 32 gallon bio cube and I’ve taken the hood off and added a Kessil 160 (I’m at work but I’m pretty sure that’s the light), anyway....with that light, I’m looking for a good cluster of beginner corals to play with and try. The only thing I’m missing as far as a cleanup crew is the peppermint shrimp and I can’t find them any where. Is there any coral you’d recommend?

19BBD285-77FD-481F-93FD-805D32BFA8B2.jpeg

TheShrimpNibbler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow let me say for starters, absolutely beautiful. Your tank will be my gold standard for sure. I’m new to the coral scene, I have done a lot of fish only set ups and I’m wanting to get thru to inverts and coral...I have the 32 gallon bio cube and I’ve taken the hood off and added a Kessil 160 (I’m at work but I’m pretty sure that’s the light), anyway....with that light, I’m looking for a good cluster of beginner corals to play with and try. The only thing I’m missing as far as a cleanup crew is the peppermint shrimp and I can’t find them any where. Is there any coral you’d recommend?

Some people have problems with peppermint shrimp. They certainly aren’t necessary for a clean up crew either. Green star polyps, zoas/palys, or Xenia are good beginner corals. I would try one of those out before I getting an anemone.

TVV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

probably aside from torch corals, the most satisfying is the radioactive trumpets. cheap, easy and multiply. not to mention sellable if you get to that point.

TVV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

the pepermint shrimp was to eat aptasia as I started stupid and bought live rock from the lfs that does tank teardowns. the live rock had aptasia, brown palythoa and some other crap that sped up the cycle but added frustration. no aptasia, no need for peppermint shrimp. cycle properly with rock not harvested from an-other's tank. I am sure you have heard of patience in the reef comunity.

ReeferGuy927

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my 32 biocube led. 15 months old. First off, I changed the lights to steves to support the SPS on top. Then I changed the filter to intank refugium and intank media tray, added a MP40 and changed the return pump to a stronger one.

I started with toadstool (got big so I booted him), hollywood stunner (got tired of him so booted him), kenya tree (still have some but got out most of them (nuisance spreads everywhere), convict mushrooms (still like those but put in back bottom to get them out of the way), grandis palythoa colony and green paly colony (they melted away when I blasted them with Part 2, not a big loss). Pulsing xenia and clove polyps (still have them for now-like them but shading out my zoanthids, probably getting the boot)
Fish: started with ocellaris clown whilst cycling. After 3 month cycle: royal gramma (died after a month), black bar chromis jumped into filter and died, clown wrasse (died within a week), high fin goby and pistol shrimp (still have the goby, had to feed the pistol shrimp to the fish cause he kept moving sand and burying corals) . Clean up crew: 10 small blue leg hermits, turbo snails, cerith snails, margarita snails, emerald crabs, cleaner shrimp, 3 peppermint shrimp, lawnmower blenny (now that I have zero algae for them to eat, aiptasia eradicated, most of the snails died and the emerald crabs are eating my blue kiss and rasta zoas (if I could catch them I would eat them!), (the peppermint shrimp got eaten by predators-not sure which ones), cleaner shrimp is still ruling the roost.

After 8 months or so: Corals: Acan lords (having limited success), candy canes (started with 4, now it is huge and in the center of the front of the tank), green hairy mushrooms (one into 2), common hammer (2 into 5 heads), dragon soul goniastrea dong great, favia growing slow but happy, gorgonian (gonna get the boot), green star polyps (look cool but big mistake), blue clove polyps (again cool but big mistake), forest fire mushrooms (got huge and one turned to 2 and splitting), zoanthids (struggling with shade issues and hungry emerald crabs, sun corals (got tired of feeding them daily (died), SPS corals from jason fox but cant remember the names - they went from 1" to what you see in the pic very fast, and then there are the torches my favorite but they sting anything within reach and the indo's have a long reach - 6". Of those I have todds (bought on R2R), aussie golds (bought one from calikid and the other from extreme), indo gold (calikid), what was sold to reefer on R2R as holy grail but is some sort of dragon soul (love it), black torch (AquaSD), purple torches with green tips (R2R), purple torch with blue tips (R2R), purple torch with yellow tips (tropical fish bowl in Lafayette, LA). All torches increasing in size and heads except the gold aussie with blue tips.

Fish after 8 months: another clown to keep the first company (white), sapphire damsel to eat pests, purple dartfish for granddaughter, 2 bengali cardinal fish, coral beauty angel (had to but might be a mistake, nips on corals).

Hope this helps you get kicked off.
There are easy soft corals and inverts you can start with but be advised that some grow and take over the tank fast making it hard to upgrade your reef. As you spend the big bucks for what you really want, it is disappointing to have the nearly free ones be responsible for the death of your favorites. It is even more disappointing to have a $9.00 crab eat $500.00 meal in a couple of days because you finally got rid of the green hair algae, removing his diet! Guy at my LFS said "you can't blame him, what would you do?"....so I'm taking his advice and following suit to catch and eat them!

Oct 24_2019.jpg
WOW!!!! incredible

TVV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW!!!! incredible
Thank you. I think I need more tank! I have a feeling that no matter how big, I will overload it. Told the wife I was going to take over the swimming pool turning it into a mixed reef. She didn't find that funny. What she doesn't know is I wasn't kidding or trying to be funny!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back