Stop with the names!

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya i dont think the actinic led thing will ever go away. Ppl are dumbfounded by the glowing coral. Oooo. Aahhhhhh.
The hype name game to get an extra buck might but i think not. Prob get worse.
D

View Badges
+2 ^^^ Hu?

Agree, the name game has gotten to be pretty comical. Seems like the legalization of cannabis has increased the number of "reefing" addicts that are attracted to shiny things and fancy labels. You have to be seriously stoned to pay some of these outrageous prices for a single polyp or a qtr inch frag...

why does it have to be cannabis? Why can’t it just be social media and the constant need to have “the experience”.

sorry, just decided to take that personally. Has nothing to do with you :)

I just hate the stigma on cannabis when the problem isn’t a plant, it’s people who’s life revolves around getting another social media brain zap when they get a like or click a like or see that somebody might be thinking of clicking like.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't mind the names, we need away to ID different morphs. I just wish there was a universal naming committee of some sort that picked the name and everyone would adopt that single name. 3 vendors calling the same zoa morph different names is not helpful.

Cabinetman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only way this crazy name and crazy price game ends is if we as a whole stop buying from them. As long as demand is there, someone will supply. The other thing is to educate new reefers. Let them know that photos are faked and that these vendors are just ripping them off.

View Badges
We do not need a dedicated naming team. Ex nay that. Lol
D
It would destroy the current market.

I’m not saying I’m for or against the market changing. Everyone wants lower prices, but everyone also wants to satisfy their own desires, so free markets right?

I wouldn’t hate everyone agreeing that the same blue and red zoa can just be x zoa and not - x y z zoa + celebrity name x y z zoa.

Edit: for clarity, when I was talking about desires, I meant “make a living” but that sounded so mundane. But after reading it, I’m pretty sure it was weird and vague.

Last edited by a moderator:

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The worst is when people here (and elsewhere) really passionately try to defend these naming conventions like they are genuine hybrids or pedigrees. They’re not, there are no standards, they are 100% made up, constantly changed, and aren’t useful for identification or classification. They are a marketing ploy. But some people will defend the dumbest things once they’ve bought into it, it’s so much easier on the ego to defend your bad opinion than admit you are wrong.

shneerf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The worst is when people here (and elsewhere) really passionately try to defend these naming conventions like they are genuine hybrids or pedigrees. They’re not, there are no standards, they are 100% made up, constantly changed, and aren’t useful for identification or classification. They are a marketing ploy. But some people will defend the dumbest things once they’ve bought into it, it’s so much easier on the ego to defend your bad opinion than admit you are wrong.

Your rong Tip Top Cherry Zoas™ are 5.56 mm diameter with 118 to 134 polyps with RGB of 234 12 12 and have been bred in pristine Gatorade™ conditions. It's what zoas crave. Regular Cherry Zoas are 5.55 mm with only 117 to 133 polyps and an terrible RGB of 233 12 12. Those people don't use Gatorade™, they use water, like from the toilet.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your rong Tip Top Cherry Zoas™ are 5.56 mm diameter with 118 to 134 polyps with RGB of 234 12 12 and have been bred in pristine Gatorade™ conditions. It's what zoas crave. Regular Cherry Zoas are 5.55 mm with only 117 to 133 polyps and an terrible RGB of 233 12 12. Those people don't use Gatorade™, they use water, like from the toilet.
Funny thing, in Hong Kong, a lot of reefers use toilet water because Hong Kong’s sewage system uses salt water from the ocean, so they take water from the toilet, filter it (not exactly sure on what kind of filtering), and use it for their reef tanks because it’s much cheaper than using filtered tap water with salt mix. They even refer to it as ‘toilet water’.

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed, and I'm sick of the doctored photos. Was just looking at one store with $300 single polyp blastos, photos rediculously doctored. And who's buying all of these corals being sold for $500 to $1000? With the exception of Austin Aqua Farms and a few others, I feel like I'm walking into a used car dealer lot to be scammed every time I look at corals online. I don't put on orange glasses to look at my tank.

And I just saw one of "those" post: I just bought such and such. Dumped it in my tank. Is it good or bad :rolleyes:
Word. I just bought $600 of corals from an online retailer out of San Diego. These cats not only photoshop the colors but this was my first experience with photoshopping the SIZES

instead of “cat fishing” I’m calling it “coral fishing”

OP
OP
Jekyl

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd be fine with color scheme rather than names. Orange and blue zoas, gold torch, green hammer with purple tips.. Use of just colors instead of some stupid name would cut the price in half. At the same time would be much easier to find. It's not like the coral dealers created the frag in a lab.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back