Store Credit No Refund??

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A business owner has "every right" to determine their DOA policy.
You have the right to choose not to do business with them if you don't like it
Ding, ding! This is why I avoid mail order in the aquatics game.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the OP. there is very little incentive for a store to take a sick coral off their inventory. They could advertise a healthy coral, knowing it’s sick, get their money. While obviously if they did this for every coral, it would be problematic, but it’s a good way for them to capture money on sick corals.

The argument that they are not responsible for shipping is crazy. We are typically not given a choice on shipping companies.

I think the point is that as a community we have the right to discuss it. One person alone won’t change their policy, but if there a bunch of us who agree, we can let them know with a combination of email and money.
Email doesn't matter, money only does. Folks stop ordering online, policies will change to reflect it.

dcsorrell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You forget you bought something living and it is their responsibility until it reaches your door and the transaction completes If it died in transit that is on them.
I agree that it's their responsibility. What I am advising is to find out ahead of time what happens if the animal does arrive dead (or dying) so that there are no surprises.

Brian_68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that it's their responsibility. What I am advising is to find out ahead of time what happens if the animal does arrive dead (or dying) so that there are no surprises.
Bingo. If you don't like the terms do not order and complain later. Just move on or order from someone else that has terms you agree with. If the majority do the same they may have to change their policies. Since many have similar policies it seems enough buyers are ok with it.

pendulum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a two way street. Are their bad vendors? Statistically, there has to be. Are their sucky customers. ABSOLUTELY!.:zany-face: Perhaps there are sellers that sell junk and have a business model to make that one time $40-$100 sale off of you. Lol- I don't see them staying in business, and we all run our mouths more than enough to share bad experiences. These vendors aren't selling $20 weight-loss pills to 10 million dummys and pocketing $200 million.

Have I purchased frags that arrived rough. Yep. Have I purchased frags from the same vendor that are incredible. YEP! A rough frag or two out of 30 frags, several orders and 100+degree temps? Doesn't sound like a scummy business. I'll take those odds any day on my next grocery order!

As has already been stated- buy, don't buy. That is a customer's decision. But don't be the customer that doesn't check, assumes and then complains later about the decision THEY made.

firechild

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A business owner has "every right" to determine their DOA policy.
You have the right to choose not to do business with them if you don't like it
100% this. Free market USA. Vendors are free to make their own rules and you are free to choose where to buy. Freedom is great until someone else's freedom creates a negative situation for you.

spsick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reading this thread reminds me that I will never ever ship a coral to anyone.

Sure selling coral a a business comes with Rosie’s and you need to build that in to your pricing model but to me a replacement is where that expectation ends.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the OP. there is very little incentive for a store to take a sick coral off their inventory. They could advertise a healthy coral, knowing it’s sick, get their money. While obviously if they did this for every coral, it would be problematic, but it’s a good way for them to capture money on sick corals.

The argument that they are not responsible for shipping is crazy. We are typically not given a choice on shipping companies.

I think the point is that as a community we have the right to discuss it. One person alone won’t change their policy, but if there a bunch of us who agree, we can let them know with a combination of email and money.

This. exactly. I got caught in this groundhog's day too many times when I use to do online reefing. I just couldn't figure out how a coral could end up in such a condition in about 18 hours. Then you are out money or you are doing it all over again. I left more money on the table I wish to remember.

Last edited:

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But most businesses also have insurance to cover for these setbacks .
This is highway robbery.
sell and ship a near dead frag and still make money from it ?

store credit is better than nothing.

This is why I refuse to buy corals online
I would love to know where I can purchase this type of insurance.

Way to many do and then they try and charge you shipping on the new order without crediting shipping for the first.

We need to not stand for this abuse in the hobby any longer. I had an LfS try to make me go through a warranty process for a radion that was problematic 2 days after buying it. Gave them a choice. Swap it or deal with a charge back.
No one credits shipping. If I am selling you coral I am selling the coral. I'm willing to ship the coral, but I'm not getting free shipping and charging you $50 of profit.

I've looked into shippig and have an account. After my expenses to ship a small box of lets say 6 coral frags in a Uline styro box with 48 hour heat pack it's going to cost me approximately $70 over night via UPS. Now I can't charge more than around $50 that everyone else is charging so I'm going to just eat $20 on every order. I'm going to just have to make that $20 in the price of the coral. That also goes back into offering store credit and not a monetary refund. If I refund your money I just lost $20 out of my pocket on top of the lost inventory. If I replace your order at least then I'm going to make something or at the least not lose money.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100% this. Free market USA. Vendors are free to make their own rules and you are free to choose where to buy. Freedom is great until someone else's freedom creates a negative situation for you.
There are many online retailers of non-live goods that also only offer store credit... It's the business's choice and as long as they post their return policy where it can easily be found, I can't see why anyone would be bothered enough to complain about it online. If I read the OP correctly, he didn't actually buy anything... the vendor made their policy clear, so it's not like anyone should be caught by surprise.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I work in an eCommerce business now and I used to sell live fish online. Granted I do not sell live animals anymore but I understand there are differences. For me in my current business, a huge red flag for fraud is I don't want a replacement, I can't send the item back, and I want a refund. I understand that with DOA live animals this is different but everyone must also understand that the internet is full of scammers and one way of avoiding fraud is having a return policy of only replacements no refunds. I have lost literally tens of thousands of dollars to internet fraud over the years. It is ridiculous. Credit card companies do not side with the merchant in nearly any case and law enforcement doesn't do anything about this kind of theft.

This is unfortunate but for me it just solidifies the fact that I greatly prefer to buy livestock in person. I have a good LFS and I only have animals shipped to me if I have to.
+1

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

No one credits shipping. If I am selling you coral I am selling the coral. I'm willing to ship the coral, but I'm not getting free shipping and charging you $50 of profit.

I've looked into shippig and have an account. After my expenses to ship a small box of lets say 6 coral frags in a Uline styro box with 48 hour heat pack it's going to cost me approximately $70 over night via UPS. Now I can't charge more than around $50 that everyone else is charging so I'm going to just eat $20 on every order. I'm going to just have to make that $20 in the price of the coral. That also goes back into offering store credit and not a monetary refund. If I refund your money I just lost $20 out of my pocket on top of the lost inventory. If I replace your order at least then I'm going to make something or at the least not lose money.
So the way I’m understanding this .
if you ship a coral and it’s dead when I receive it , you still have to make money so you will charge me $50 to ship another to me .
But technically i would already be out the initial price plus shipping , now as the consumer I took my business to you not expecting dead livestock , I have to pay shipping twice ?

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Do businesses not have insurance ?

does insurance not cover things like dead livestock , lawsuits , thefts etc ?

what happens if someone walks into your store and slips on a wet floor or trips over something walking into your store ?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hey everyone I want to share my opinion on something I’m tired of seeing.

“If coral arrives is doa , we DO NOT do refunds only “store credit”.

like what type of policy is that? I don’t think that’s fair to put you into that position where you’re stuck even if they shipped to you and it died you’re still stuck with them no matter what , if you place a coral order for a specific coral and it came doa you should have every right to get your money back not a “store credit”. What are you guys thoughts? I’m seeing a lot of online vendors doing this nonsense now almost all , it sucks , I miss old school reefin :(
I dont mind a store credit but No shipping Credit has me urked as one is literally forced to pay shipping again in order to use the store credit.

Many shippers have resorted to store credit as they dont know if it was shipper or customer error/fault for loss so they issue that to allow you to repurchase or choose something else

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do businesses not have insurance ?

does insurance not cover things like dead livestock , lawsuits , thefts etc ?

what happens if someone walks into your store and slips on a wet floor or trips over something walking into your store ?
Liability insurance is completely different than covering live animals losses... No one insures for that.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No worries :)
To add to this topic .
to avoid the issues of challenging whos eating what loss , I would much rather see what im buying .

from that point of bag this for me please . There is nothing for me to argue

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the way I’m understanding this .
if you ship a coral and it’s dead when I receive it , you still have to make money so you will charge me $50 to ship another to me .
But technically i would already be out the initial price plus shipping , now as the consumer I took my business to you not expecting dead livestock , I have to pay shipping twice ?
That's how it works, crappy ain't it.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 15.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 18 15.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 64 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.1%
Back