strange favia dying

crocodile receptionist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got 4 favia frags about 4-5 weeks ago and they have been dying back, showing their skeleton. I have them all under the same light at the bottom of my tank. 4 of them are dying but there is one that is completely fine and not showing its skeleton. I am very confused about why is happening and I am new to reading and would appreciate some help/ advice. Thank you
Here are photos of them with no lights on the tank. They are all relatively close to each other but not in range for stinging, the last photo is the one that is not dying.
IMG_2636.JPG
IMG_4122.JPG
IMG_6889.JPG
IMG_1783.JPG

MohrReefs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I'm being frank, only 1 looks really bad. Its not uncommon to have some recession after they ship, but idk if you bought in person or online.

What are your params?
Are they eating?

OP
OP
crocodile receptionist

crocodile receptionist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I'm being frank, only 1 looks really bad. Its not uncommon to have some recession after they ship, but idk if you bought in person or online.

What are your params?
Are they eating?
I got them online and they were fine until I put them in my tank and they started to show the skeleton the first week, I've had them for around 4 weeks. Here are my permators:
alk: 7 dkh
cal: 420 ppm
mag:1320 ppm
Phos: 0.03 ppm
nitrates: 10
ph: 8

zaq11

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got 4 favia frags about 4-5 weeks ago and they have been dying back, showing their skeleton. I have them all under the same light at the bottom of my tank. 4 of them are dying but there is one that is completely fine and not showing its skeleton. I am very confused about why is happening and I am new to reading and would appreciate some help/ advice. Thank you
Here are photos of them with no lights on the tank. They are all relatively close to each other but not in range for stinging, the last photo is the one that is not dying.
IMG_2636.JPG
IMG_4122.JPG
IMG_6889.JPG
IMG_1783.JPG
try to increase alkalinity slowly to 8-9
and dip the bad one in dip solution and feed at night with Mysis shrimp

OP
OP
crocodile receptionist

crocodile receptionist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
okay, do you think this is the reason, also a bunch of my other coral is closed and my parameters are all good. Does anyone knows what is happening?

TankCandy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   1
I would try spot feeding them at night when the fish are asleep. Also turn off the flow when you spot feed. Any other coral in the tank?

MohrReefs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
okay, do you think this is the reason, also a bunch of my other coral is closed and my parameters are all good. Does anyone knows what is happening?
There could be a lot of reasons why they are closed, if you see pests do a pest dip. If you see tissue necrosis (peeling back and rotting away of polyp flesh not just receding) then do an iodine dip. Let me tag someone in who can help understand your tanks current state and see if we cant find a solution for you, we do want you to succeed .

@vetteguy53081 Any input?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Tissue recession
90% of time associated with water quality and remaining pests or fish picking at them.
There will be a few questions and answers will help pinpoint the cause.

Age of tank?
Type of water (Tap from faucet or RODI ? )
Type of test kit used

Nitrate level
Phosphate level
Temp
salinity
Ph ?
Type of salt mix

These guys do best mid tank as they need enough light PAR and flow which is referred to as moderate light and water flow. Having them low in the tank where you currently placed them subjects them to sand and sand can and will irritate them and cause them to retract.

- they need to be fed 2-3X per week also.

OP
OP
crocodile receptionist

crocodile receptionist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tissue recession
90% of time associated with water quality and remaining pests or fish picking at them.

Age of tank?
Type of test kit used

Nitrate level
Phosphate level
Temp
salinity
Ph ?
Type of salt mix

These guys do best mid tank as they need enough light PAR and flow which is referred to as moderate light and water flow. Having them low in the tank where you currently placed them subjects them to sand and sand can and will irritate them and cause them to retract.

Thank you sm for the info and I will take your recommendations. My water is rodi and I am using API and salifert test kits. Nitrates are at 10 ppm, phosphates are around 0- 0.03 ppm, temp is at 78, salinity is at 1.024 sg, ph is at 8 ppm, and I use red sea salt.

OP
OP
crocodile receptionist

crocodile receptionist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There could be a lot of reasons why they are closed, if you see pests do a pest dip. If you see tissue necrosis (peeling back and rotting away of polyp flesh not just receding) then do an iodine dip. Let me tag someone in who can help understand your tanks current state and see if we cant find a solution for you, we do want you to succeed .

@vetteguy53081 Any input?
Thank you!!

OP
OP
crocodile receptionist

crocodile receptionist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tissue recession

Age of tank?
Type of test kit used

Nitrate level
Phosphate level
Temp
salinity
Ph ?
Type of salt mix

Also, I don't see any fish/inverts picking at them, and my tank is around 8 months old.

Jilly92

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you looked for vermetid snails? I bought a hammer and they were all over the base and I had one drop its head before I found out what they were.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thank you sm for the info and I will take your recommendations. My water is rodi and I am using API and salifert test kits. Nitrates are at 10 ppm, phosphates are around 0- 0.03 ppm, temp is at 78, salinity is at 1.024 sg, ph is at 8 ppm, and I use red sea salt.
Assuming these are accurate, it comes down to light and water flow and location in tank

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back