strange flashing tilefish behavior

slk55r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was hoping to get some insight into some strange behavior I noticed today with my 2 flashing tilefish.

They would occasionally dive down towards the sand bed and then barely touch it and come back up. They would be hovering about 4 to 5 inches above the sand then suddenly dive down. When they came back up they would go right back to only 4 to 5 inches about the sand. Both of them were exhibiting this behavior right next to each other.

Almost look like a dance or something.

Any thoughts?

I

inactive

View Badges
No clue.. not many people own these, or for very long so I doubt you will find that many who have one, let alone two of them.

OP
OP
S

slk55r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can't hurt to try :)

I think most people that do have these actually have them in pairs if not more.

They are doing fantastic btw ... Neptune really does sell very healthy fish. They are both absolute pigs and eat a ton.

I

inactive

View Badges
Man, I could never find anyone who owned any who I never brought one home... hmm.. I want to see and film them!!!!! :D

gdwats

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My royal grahma does that. I think he is itching or has a parasite on his lip or something. I've never seen anything on him, but he does this, does it to a rock too. Your fish could also be eating pods or those tube worm thing's that grow up from sand with the 2 feelers protruding?

OP
OP
S

slk55r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought of that

but they weren't pushing their head in the sand. It was just barely touching the sand with the side of their body. It wasn't restricted to one side they were both doing it with both sides. I was looking at them VERY closely and couldn't see anything on them. Also when they were touching the sand it was barely touching. If anything it seemed like they didn't touch and it was just the motion that was disturbing the sand.

yellojello

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
slk55r,

what size is your tank and what livestock you have? what do you feed them?

Neptune is supposed to get more flashing tilefish in tomorrow, and I'm contemplating if I should get one (or two).

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 38 32.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back