Strange mark appeared on foxface in QT

Ciwyn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a foxface and yellow nose goby in QT. I am following HotRocks' QT procedure.

The fish have already had them in the copper treatment tank for 14 days at a concentration of about 1.9 (checked with hanna).

They are now in a different tank being treated with general cure. I did the first dose of GC last week and then yesterday started the second dose (more than 48 hours had occurred between doses).

Yesterday I noticed some strange things on the foxface though. There are brown spots that appear to be sub dermal on it. Also there are some strange spots on its tail fins.

Here are photos of both:
20190423_113912.jpg
20190423_113922.jpg

OP
OP
C

Ciwyn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK those photos are terrible. I'm going to have to try and get some better ones.

The marks are right behind the white stripe on its head.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, the pictures are not favorable for diagnosis, but Big G is correct about the foxface throwing down all kinds of blotchy skin coloration that makes the fish looks kinda like a house getting patched with putty and primer before repainting.
Hope this is all you are seeing? They do it often and it doesn't seem to impact their general health whatsoever.

OP
OP
C

Ciwyn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I've seen foxface "go camo" before. It's actually really neat.

This seems different. Here a decent photo finally. You can also see a little of whatever is on its tail fins. I did not notice any of this until just yesterday (about 3 weeks in QT ).
Other than that it appears to be acting normal.
20190423_175655.jpg

OP
OP
C

Ciwyn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it's potentially just some of the "camouflage" for lack of a better term that didn't go away?

OP
OP
C

Ciwyn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to tell from the pictures. Are the things white and cottony or cauliflower like?
Well it's honestly almost as difficult to tell with my eyes. If I had to say one over the other it seems a bit more cauliflower like. There are 4 spots. You can really only see the larger ones in the photo.

OP
OP
C

Ciwyn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Well being I did not notice these spots until the fish was in a tank being treated with General Cure I would lean towards that being lymphocysitis. Which there appears to be no treatment for.

*edit* just realized I accidentally posted the same photo again. This one is a slightly better look at the spots

OP
OP
C

Ciwyn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say that’s likely lympho
That's what I'm leaning towards. Since its been 48 hours on the general cure bath I'm leaning towards doing a large water change and observing him (I have no idea if its a him or her) until next week see if anything changes.

That reddish brown mark behind his gills is persistent and I haven't seen him camouflage himself in a while.

OP
OP
C

Ciwyn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just wanted to finish up the thread by saying the markings and spots are gone. Fish has been happy in my DT for a few weeks now.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.4%
Back