Strange persistent Disease ID

Lucas o

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 30, 2026
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
What state or country do you live in
Michigan
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Disease ID please. The fish are all in 2.03 copper safe and have been for two days. Display tank is fallow. As you can see, there’s a quarter sized patch of fine white spots with one single white spot on the other side and maybe some on the face of the hippo tang. I’m not sure what this is. Was wondering if anyone can help me ID this I don’t know if it’s ich or something else. I see a couple spots on one of the yellow tangs that won’t show on video. But they are scattered and countable. They are not grouped like on the hippo. Jay hemdall, these fish have already gone through a 30 day copper treatment were added to the display tank in batches. Both the fish in the display tank and the ones still left in quarantine (to be added later so I could avoid a huge bioload) broke out in this disease. I suspect that I didn’t maintain therapeutic copper levels during QT. since they are therapeutic now I’m wondering why the parasite or whatever the white spots are is getting worse. It has taken out already a couple fish even while they’ve been in copper. The fish did not die within a couple days. They had the white spots on them for nearly seven days so I do not think it was velvet. right now my display tank is being held at 86° because I’m seriously over this constant battle and I want to find out how I can finally get rid of whatever this thing is that I’ve been dealing with for the past two months. Thank you
 

Attachments

  • IMG_1794.mov
    109.4 MB
Disease ID please. The fish are all in 2.03 copper safe and have been for two days. Display tank is fallow. As you can see, there’s a quarter sized patch of fine white spots with one single white spot on the other side and maybe some on the face of the hippo tang. I’m not sure what this is. Was wondering if anyone can help me ID this I don’t know if it’s ich or something else. I see a couple spots on one of the yellow tangs that won’t show on video. But they are scattered and countable. They are not grouped like on the hippo. Jay hemdall, these fish have already gone through a 30 day copper treatment were added to the display tank in batches. Both the fish in the display tank and the ones still left in quarantine (to be added later so I could avoid a huge bioload) broke out in this disease. I suspect that I didn’t maintain therapeutic copper levels during QT. since they are therapeutic now I’m wondering why the parasite or whatever the white spots are is getting worse. It has taken out already a couple fish even while they’ve been in copper. The fish did not die within a couple days. They had the white spots on them for nearly seven days so I do not think it was velvet. right now my display tank is being held at 86° because I’m seriously over this constant battle and I want to find out how I can finally get rid of whatever this thing is that I’ve been dealing with for the past two months. Thank you
These fish are subject to skin irritations and often get mucus cones and at times are mixed in with ich and Often you will notice other occupants show no signs but recommended is to remove all fish and treat them as well using coppersafe or copper power for a full 30 days at 2.25ppm which they respond to well and add an air stone and monitor copper level with a reliable Copper Test kit such as Hanna Brand- No API brand. Also monitor Ammonia levels while in quarantine with a reliable test kit and add aeration during treatment using an air stone.
 
Disease ID please. The fish are all in 2.03 copper safe and have been for two days. Display tank is fallow. As you can see, there’s a quarter sized patch of fine white spots with one single white spot on the other side and maybe some on the face of the hippo tang. I’m not sure what this is. Was wondering if anyone can help me ID this I don’t know if it’s ich or something else. I see a couple spots on one of the yellow tangs that won’t show on video. But they are scattered and countable. They are not grouped like on the hippo. Jay hemdall, these fish have already gone through a 30 day copper treatment were added to the display tank in batches. Both the fish in the display tank and the ones still left in quarantine (to be added later so I could avoid a huge bioload) broke out in this disease. I suspect that I didn’t maintain therapeutic copper levels during QT. since they are therapeutic now I’m wondering why the parasite or whatever the white spots are is getting worse. It has taken out already a couple fish even while they’ve been in copper. The fish did not die within a couple days. They had the white spots on them for nearly seven days so I do not think it was velvet. right now my display tank is being held at 86° because I’m seriously over this constant battle and I want to find out how I can finally get rid of whatever this thing is that I’ve been dealing with for the past two months. Thank you

Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Coppersafe takes 5 days or so to work, so seeing spots after 2 days isn’t unusual. However, unless there was some break in quarantine, I doubt this is ich. Could be mucus plugs as mentioned.

I am concerned though, about you holding the tank temperature at 86 degrees. Where did you hear that? That is advice often used for freshwater ich, but saltwater ich is a different species, and that high of a temperature actually makes the disease worse, plus it lowers the dissolved oxygen levels…..

Were the fish ever treated for flukes? Do you see any of the fish twitching or scratching?
 
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Coppersafe takes 5 days or so to work, so seeing spots after 2 days isn’t unusual. However, unless there was some break in quarantine, I doubt this is ich. Could be mucus plugs as mentioned.

I am concerned though, about you holding the tank temperature at 86 degrees. Where did you hear that? That is advice often used for freshwater ich, but saltwater ich is a different species, and that high of a temperature actually makes the disease worse, plus it lowers the dissolved oxygen levels…..

Were the fish ever treated for flukes? Do you see any of the fish twitching or scratching?
Thank you! And thank you for your response

Some fish were already showing spots when qt started, but that group of small spots on the hippo is new. I read some studies and through the “science” of the hobby that 86 will speed up the life cycle to around 30 days. Something I’ll be doing after that 30 day mark will be taking 10 gallons out into another tank and allowing transitioned mollies to live in there. In theory I’ll be able to see if they show ich or not. Going to siphon mainly water from tbe bottom of the tank and some substrate. I’m also dosing polylab medic while fallow just as an extra precaution. Does low oxygen make it worse by causing the parasite to go dormant? I know it will in a fully anaerobic environment but the surface is getting pretty agitated. I’ll probably run it down to 82-83 leaving some room in case the temperature drops so I’m still at 81. Just trying to understand what disease I’m dealing with. One more question, if I were to get a good looking copper band who eats, how long would you recommend the QT. I know they are a more sensitive specie. Thank you
 
I saw a big difference in fish behavior between 86ºF and 87ºF+ when my AC was out this summer.

You're close to the temp where they will stop having enough O2 in the water.....be careful!!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 4.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 6.8%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 19 21.6%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 26 29.5%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 10.2%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 5 5.7%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 11 12.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 8.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new