Strange spots on Copperband’s fins

BWilliby

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! I have a Copperband that has been in QT for 3 weeks today. I started with a week of observation and then suspected flukes, so I did a freshwater dip and sure enough quite a few jumped off. So I did 7 days of prazipro. Then noticed these strange looking white marks developing on the fish’s fins. To me they don’t look like any ich compared to what I’ve seen before but I started with cupramine anyway. So he’s been in cupramine for 5 days now and the fins look the same. So looking for advice. Thanks!
IMG_0923.JPG
IMG_0925.JPG

S-t-r-e-t-c-h

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's lymphocystis, for sure. It's virus, in the same way that a wart is a virus, so it's usually not deadly. It is an indication that current conditions or diet need improvement. Try to do things to beef up the diet (which can be hard for a copperband; not sure what he's eating at the moment). Fortified foods, like using selcon, can help.

Here's some more info that should be helpful:

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/lymphocystis.257461/

OP
OP
BWilliby

BWilliby

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @S-t-r-e-t-c-h ! That definitely looks like what it is. He has not been eating great in QT...I have tried live black worms, Larry's, regular mysis, and brine shrimp. I always stand back to see if he will eat anything, but I have not witnessed him going for any of them. But he has lived 3 weeks so maybe he is picking at things after I leave. I will pick up some Selcon and add it to the food to boost the nutritional value and keep trying. Thanks again for the info!

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine had the Lymphos when he was in QT and lost them soon after being moved to the DT. Was your CBB eating better before running the copper? Could be loss of appetite from the medication.
While in QT mine went after black worms with gusto but not so much with the other foods. To get him eating the other foods I would alternate one day worms and the next something else. The worms he would eat right away but the other foods he wouldn't and they would collect in one part of the QT, by the the time I'd get home from work and check on him the food would be gone so I assume he was picking at it through out the day like yours is probably doing.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cutie! Do you happen to have any rocks with aiptasia in your system you can move to qt? Of course, you would have to re-cure if copper and meds, but may help. I used to pick off aiptasia from overflow area and feed mine in qt.

OP
OP
BWilliby

BWilliby

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine had the Lymphos when he was in QT and lost them soon after being moved to the DT. Was your CBB eating better before running the copper? Could be loss of appetite from the medication.
While in QT mine went after black worms with gusto but not so much with the other foods. To get him eating the other foods I would alternate one day worms and the next something else. The worms he would eat right away but the other foods he wouldn't and they would collect in one part of the QT, by the the time I'd get home from work and check on him the food would be gone so I assume he was picking at it through out the day like yours is probably doing.

Mine really has not eaten well from the get go but I think it is because he came in with flukes, which I think can also lower appetite. That was the reason I ordered some live blackworms, but again, I have never seen him go after those, so I have been alternating between them and frozen. But like in your case, when I check the tank later I can't find any food laying around so he must be a shy eater and need to be in private. :)

OP
OP
BWilliby

BWilliby

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cutie! Do you happen to have any rocks with aiptasia in your system you can move to qt? Of course, you would have to re-cure if copper and meds, but may help. I used to pick off aiptasia from overflow area and feed mine in qt.

That is a good idea! Aiptasia is one of the reasons I got the Copperband. I don't think I have any rocks I can get out of my display, but I do have some aiptasia in my refugium that I can try to scrape off to see if he will eat those.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s classic butterfly lymph. Presents that way in butterflies and sometimes angels. Good water quality, good nutrition, etc will help :)

TX_Punisher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just found this thread. I, too, have a copperband with the same issue first time I've seen this issue on any copperband I've had.

Mine is a problem my eater and I thin that's part of the problem.

What options worked for you? Catch and treat? Another series of fw dips?

Thanks

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 106 76.3%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back