Strange SPS tissue loss.

SamMule

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I've been having some really weird losses over the last several months and thought I would share. Maybe somebody else has experienced something similar.
This is not your typical STN or RTN type issue where the skin just peels off and exposes white skeleton. The tissue bubbles up, turns brown, and desintigrates. Looks a lot like BJD. It seems to affect any SPS. I have lost multiple acros and montis. Interestingly, on several occasions, it tears up half of a colony and stops. Other times, it toasts the whole thing. Thinking it has to be some sort of bacterial infection. Yes, I have pulled colonies and inspected for pests to no avail. Here's some bad pics....

The latest casualty. SCOP after trying to frag off the base that was dying. Note how brown the skeleton is.
20230827_194217.jpg

Same piece before attempting to save the rest.
20230826_092259.jpg

Orange setosa dying back. Skin came off really stringy and brown. It also nuked the whole base of the GARF bansai above it. The rest of the bansai is fine and growing back over the dead base now.
20230607_221908.jpg

Lemons

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds and looks like SCTLD (stony coral tissue loss disease) if you're in the states id maybe pay for an aquabiomics test to confirm...

Sadly theres not much to do about it. Some corals are more resistant then others...

OP
OP
SamMule

SamMule

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. I have heard that mentioned before, but did not even think of it. I will have to look into that. Thank you!

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is probably an urgent enough situation to try some ciprofloaxin dosing. Obviously seems to be a bacteria infection. I would try 3 doses of ciprofloaxin over 6 days. I've had success using cipro

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. I will look into that as well.
Assuming of course that you are not having parameters swings or something else obvious that tends to affect sensitive SPS. Alk or temp would be the primary areas of concern followed by salinity.

Have you done a recent ICP test? Have you checked equipment for rusty parts?

OP
OP
SamMule

SamMule

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, nothing out of the ordinary. The tank is going on 4 years and has been relatively stable overall. Cal/Alk are maintained with kalkwasser via ATO and swing a bit, but has been this way for basically the life of the tank. Mag is maintained via buffering my water change mixture with MG. I keep it pretty simple lol.
Had an ICP several months back and the only thing out of whack was the iodide and it was just a little low. That was remedied according to their recommendations.

Thanks for that link. I did a little googling and SCTLD does sound very similar to what I'm experiencing.

OP
OP
SamMule

SamMule

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's something else interesting I've been noticing. Some of the flesh on many of my acropora is swollen and bubbling. I imagine it has to be related. It is still attached and when I blow on it with a turkey baster, it moves but does not tear away.

Some of the bubbles are very obvious. Centered in the pic below.
20230906_181912.jpg
20230906_181918.jpg

Here is a pic of that colony a few months ago.
20230328_221846.jpg

Another clearer one from a different angle, but you can clearly see the difference in the flesh.
20230328_221941.jpg

Not sure if it will recover, but I will try and keep documenting what I find.

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There was a post where someone was talking about bubbling acros..I'll see if i can find

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

OP
OP
SamMule

SamMule

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I just read through that entire thread. Doesn't seem like there was anything conclusive. The OP did have a test that showed SCTLD.

OP
OP
SamMule

SamMule

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally ordered an aquabiomics test today. Will update when I have results.
Seems like there is a lot of this going around right now. From everything I've read, it sounds like there are a few possibilities for this bubbling and/or tuliping of polyps.
Here is my thoughts on results and course of action.
1: SCTLD Positive. ----> Treat with Cipro or Amoxicillin.
SCTLD negative:----> Send out ICP for possible contaminants. Treat as necessary.

2:Suspect larval trematode (Some type of fluke or flatworm) ----> Ivermectin? Or some other type of anti-parasitic. Tank has already been treated recently for bugs with interceptor.

3:Give up and just let whatever happens, happen....

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally ordered an aquabiomics test today. Will update when I have results.
Seems like there is a lot of this going around right now. From everything I've read, it sounds like there are a few possibilities for this bubbling and/or tuliping of polyps.
Here is my thoughts on results and course of action.
1: SCTLD Positive. ----> Treat with Cipro or Amoxicillin.
SCTLD negative:----> Send out ICP for possible contaminants. Treat as necessary.

2:Suspect larval trematode (Some type of fluke or flatworm) ----> Ivermectin? Or some other type of anti-parasitic. Tank has already been treated recently for bugs with interceptor.

3:Give up and just let whatever happens, happen....
I’ve had this problem for awhile now and it’s seemed to have worked its own way out! I’ve never experienced a loss at all but had a few sticks bubble up here or there and then the bubbles fade away! The only thing I’ve noticed is stunted growth and some times they loose color… I can happily say for the last month all bubbles are gone and things are growing again! Idk what it is “nobody does” but I’m glad it’s gone! Looking forward to your results.

OP
OP
SamMule

SamMule

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, it is really aggravating. I do have another 75g that I went ahead and dropped some frags in to see how they respond.
Fresh cut from the colony in my earlier post.
20240110_164116.jpg

I have a couple other acros in that tank that seem to be growing well, so I know it can support them.
20240110_163948.jpg

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, it is really aggravating. I do have another 75g that I went ahead and dropped some frags in to see how they respond.
Fresh cut from the colony in my earlier post.
20240110_164116.jpg

I have a couple other acros in that tank that seem to be growing well, so I know it can support them.
20240110_163948.jpg
My pink lemonade.. it’s bubble free today. I don’t have a current picture on me.. the bubbles are gone and polyps are back out finally.
IMG_1983.jpeg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 26 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 14.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 96 56.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 7.1%
Back