Strategic coral placement can make your corals look more colorful/brighter!

OP
OP
Queenofreef

Queenofreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder how many of my fellow reefers follow placement guidelines on retail sites like LiveAquaria. Do you find them to be accurate for the most part, or not very accurate?

Not sure what LiveAquaria has for guidelines but when I was starting out and didn’t know how certain types of coral would fit into my tank, I would just use what’s recommended online as a starting point and then tinker based on the coral’s reaction. With different lights/light schedules and flow, those guides are really only just a super generalized starting point imho. The coral must speak to you !!! Lol

OP
OP
Queenofreef

Queenofreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that more important than making things pop, is to make an harmonious looking tank.

It’s very difficult when you want one of each thing, so I try to focus on repetition, to make the tank look more cohesive.

I prefer no to go overboard with color contrasts and instead create contrasts in light and shadow and do whatever I can to enhance depth.

Congrats for focusing on this neglected subject.

Thank you so much. Would love to hear more about what you mean with light/shadow contrasts! Is that by the way you construct your aquascape? (Like using negative space?).

OP
OP
Queenofreef

Queenofreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the video. It was a well thought out presentation that showcased your effort in contributing to this hobby.

Now, if only I could find the right complementary color to highlight my currently brown sps sticks...

Thank you so much, I appreciate that!
Oh nooo, you skipped the disclaimer in the video huh ;) Gotta increase that light or reduce those nutrients before the color wheel trick Fishtituous!

OP
OP
Queenofreef

Queenofreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks - enjoyed it :)

My tank is pretty much all reds and greens - need to save up for some of those other colours.

I always get caught in the same trap!! Always have to remember the color wheel when buying corals now or my entire tank will end up blending together as a green blob smh ‍

kzitzman1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So glad it was useful for you! It really is a subconscious thing we always do (for the most part) because corals just look better in those arrangements. But once you consciously think about the color wheel in placement, you really can’t unsee it and it becomes something you always do without noticing!

I totally agree. I'm starting to think about my next/upgraded tank and your video and pointing out that thinking is something I will definitely take into consideration when planning it. In fact, I've already made a couple changes in my current tank that fell in line and improved it.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Very interesting!

OP
OP
Queenofreef

Queenofreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I totally agree. I'm starting to think about my next/upgraded tank and your video and pointing out that thinking is something I will definitely take into consideration when planning it. In fact, I've already made a couple changes in my current tank that fell in line and improved it.
I’m so happy to hear!! Any updates?

CavalierReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that more important than making things pop, is to make an harmonious looking tank.

It’s very difficult when you want one of each thing, so I try to focus on repetition, to make the tank look more cohesive.

I prefer no to go overboard with color contrasts and instead create contrasts in light and shadow and do whatever I can to enhance depth.

Congrats for focusing on this neglected subject.

That tank looks amazing to me and so much more like diving an actual reef. Congratulations on beautifully executing the concept.

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That tank looks amazing to me and so much more like diving an actual reef. Congratulations on beautifully executing the concept.

Thanks. The video is almost year old and the corals are much larger now, making the tank look too full. The fish like it though.

Stigigemla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just that the M. digitata grows well in lower light does´nt mean that you have to keep them that way. Some of them grow much stronger colors in high light and they also grow a little slower there. In many cases thats good because digitatas are very fast growers in many tanks causing regular fragging.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 42 30.9%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 25.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 49 36.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back