OP
btkrausen

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya a volleyball sized one...I had it in quarentine or my frag tank I should say and I spiked the alk which caused it to start peeling so I had to frag it....:( it was a devastating day...

Ouch, I'm sure that was a bad day cutting that apart. I'm hoping min grows out fairly quickly, but of course, who doesn't :)

gar732

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya a volleyball sized one...I had it in quarentine or my frag tank I should say and I spiked the alk which caused it to start peeling so I had to frag it....:( it was a devastating day...

Wow sorry to hear it bro. I was devastated when I almost lost my 1" frag, I can't imagine losing a huge colony like that.

jaypainter24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here is mine NFS
IMG_0452-1.jpg

OP
OP
btkrausen

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice colony you have going there. Had a lot more red than most of the others posted. Looks fantastic man.

Bugg_zy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, that colony shot is really nice! I got my Shortcake a few weeks ago and is starting to color up. Hard to post after that last pic but here it is
33314b8d.jpg

And my Red planet
05109250.jpg

kevinpratt823

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a frag for like 6 mos, I'll post a pic later. I also just bought a nice size colony that I just got the other day. Right now it is mostly just the pink coralites with a cream base. The only place I could fit it is pretty high up under my LED's. Can I get some input on what lighting brings out the best colors? My other frag is in moderate lighting, and I just don't want to have to find a different spot for the colony if it's going to be too much light where it is.

OP
OP
btkrausen

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, that colony shot is really nice! I got my Shortcake a few weeks ago and is starting to color up. Hard to post after that last pic but here it is
33314b8d.jpg

And my Red planet
05109250.jpg

Nice, your frag looks about the same size as mine. How long have you had it? Had it encrusted much?

Bugg_zy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had it about 3 weeks now, and it's starting to encrust. To soon though to tell how fast it's going to take to cover the plug. The colors are a touch brighter in person then in the pic. I am falling in love with it. Also as you can see it's so nice to receive a frag this size. I got mine from Wet Thumbs. Thanks Tina and Dan! Now I just need to save up for the newer extreme type shortcakes that have been showing up as of late. :nerd:

OP
OP
btkrausen

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had it about 3 weeks now, and it's starting to encrust. To soon though to tell how fast it's going to take to cover the plug. The colors are a touch brighter in person then in the pic. I am falling in love with it. Also as you can see it's so nice to receive a frag this size. I got mine from Wet Thumbs. Thanks Tina and Dan! Now I just need to save up for the newer extreme type shortcakes that have been showing up as of late. :nerd:

Yeah, I was fortunate to get a nice chunk as well from Cherry Corals while at the Cincinnati frag swap. They had a fairly large colony, and took a pair of bone cutters to it. I paid $60 for my larger frag, which I didn't think was terrible. Yours also looks like its about the same in coloration than mine.

Y-Diver

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What current are people having the best luck with? I plan to put it in a Med/Low light in acro standards and was wondering on current. I am running a MP10 on Reef Crest mode in a 29G Bio Cube....

OP
OP
btkrausen

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My frag is probably at the highest point in the tank, directly under a 150w 14k Phoenix, and the color is wonderful. Still has its nice cream base, pink tips, and greenish tint to it.

As for flow, mine is close to an MP20, but isn't getting direct flow, but close to it.

bitterboy2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had this one for almost a year before I lost all my acros, browned out, and I thought it wasn't that special, until I saw it from the top down...as is the case with a lot of stuff
Shortcake-1.jpg

Prices have dropped big time, so when I got a replacement, I couldn't resist
ssc11.jpg

actinics2079.jpg

sorry, I'm no photographer

OP
OP
btkrausen

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, that looks like you have a nice sized colony there. Lets see a pic from back a little further. Does yours still have the creamish color to it?

OP
OP
btkrausen

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet, where did you get it? Mine is a nice cream color with a hint of green, and then of course the red tips. I think the green has really come in since I moved it up closer to the light. However, the camera just doesn't pick it up that well.

bitterboy2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet, where did you get it? Mine is a nice cream color with a hint of green, and then of course the red tips. I think the green has really come in since I moved it up closer to the light. However, the camera just doesn't pick it up that well.

Got mine locally...for a great deal. I'll break it up and place it in two different spots to find it's sweet spot.

secretreefer

**MAD PHANTOM SCIENTIST**
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hahah i've tried 3 large pieces already. all of them died on me. idk this seems to be a cursed sps for me. anyone had a large "tank raised" colony?

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 27 30.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 21 23.6%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 24.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 21.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back