Strawberry Shortcake Acropora

dougers31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Niiiicce!! I think I'd have to give that an edge over my red planet... now to find room in my tank for a frag of that.

johnanddawn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here is my newest pic of mine - my thread has a growth sequence in it i think but it is a slow one thats for sure
straw4.jpg

gar732

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know, its hard to beat a red planet that looks like mine:

DSC_2614.jpg

Where do you have your RP in regards to lighting. Thats probably the coolest looking RP I've ever seen. Sorry off topic.

OP
OP
btkrausen

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its exactly halfway up my shallow reef that is 12" tall. The lights are around 16" off the top of the tank.

gar732

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What lights are you running? I fraged my RP a while ago with the intent to put it lower in the tank to see what it does.

kingfisherfleshy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will not even bother to show mine.

It has been in tank since early summer...and the bottom now has crusted a little more than the size of a quarter. It has also almost doubled in size, but remains sort of a brownish color.

Occasionally I get flashes of green and blue, hopefully once I get it into my new reef, and get some stuff to control phosphates we will get the colors you guys are seeing. Cant wait to have my own colony of the stuff!

Michael7979

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is one of the prettiest "newer" corals to become all the rage and be on everyones 'wanted' list.
Hopefully it will be like all the others and come down in price as reefers grow it out and sell/trade frags.

nikesb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
man i need to get one of these when my bleaching problems are under control

gar732

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will not even bother to show mine.

It has been in tank since early summer...and the bottom now has crusted a little more than the size of a quarter. It has also almost doubled in size, but remains sort of a brownish color.

Occasionally I get flashes of green and blue, hopefully once I get it into my new reef, and get some stuff to control phosphates we will get the colors you guys are seeing. Cant wait to have my own colony of the stuff!

I hear ya. I almost killed mine twice and it finally started to show good color when I left in revive for too long and it browned out again. It has grown pretty decently. I got it as a 1" frag and now it has multiple new branches all around the plug it it on.

Bugg_zy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a really nice piece of this my last order. Prices I have seen are really coming down, with small colonies available. My guess(and just a guess) is either someone can grow it fast, or they found a new area to collect it from. I am leaning twords the later. I have both the Red Planet and the Strawberry Shortcake. They look different enough in my tank for me to want both. The Red Planet seems to have a more vivid color base(in my tank). But of my are still just frags though. I can snap a few pics when I get home tonight, but both are small still. My RP though is starting to get some buds on it so hopefully soon it will grow a few branches. I was thrilled when I saw how big the shortcake frag was when I got it!

gar732

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the RP it seems to encrust for a while the really take off with growth. If yours is budding you should start seeing some growth.

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here's mine, grown from a nub. :hammer:

I plan on picking up a mini colony when I find the right piece and price. :wink:

02-01-2011SPS17.jpg

This is some interesting color alot diffrent then then the others you seem may i ask the placment of it?

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is some interesting color alot diffrent then then the others you seem may i ask the placment of it?
middle of the tank, both front to back and top to bottom. it's being blasted by a Fiji Purple and Blue Special. I'm not sure if the "interesting color" is good or bad. LoL.

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like it alot more then the normal i would rather have that in my tank then the reg SSC

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have noticed mine doesn't like light at all I have a few different frags and any of them I put up high bleach out like crazy..... Mid to bottom of the 2/3rds of the tank it seems happy... Might is a real light teal and pink...

gar732

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Troylee, didn't you have a large colony? If so please post pics, a good sized colony must look nice.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya a volleyball sized one...I had it in quarentine or my frag tank I should say and I spiked the alk which caused it to start peeling so I had to frag it....:( it was a devastating day...

Back