Stringy anemone

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I agree that lighting may be a tad low, parameters look good though. Lastly is could be a flow issue. Possibly not enough there either.

Nems are weird though. I have 10 that fight for the highest rock in my tank. While the largest(mother) of most of them is on the opposite side at the bottom. High flow at top, low at bottom.

I've never tested my par. I have 2 kessil 360s over a 90g tank. 13 hour schedule with 5 hours peak at 95% intensity during. My guess would be some of them are in the upper 200's

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Why isn’t going where there is more light if it wants more ?

The coral above is a Duncan. I didn’t think they could extend polyps ?
I was under the impression (based on some posts above - that (somehow - which didn't make sense) - that it was glued to a plug. as to the Duncan - correct - however if the anemone is extending its tentacles further out in the night - or the Duncan - its an (unlikely) - possibility.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Main point being - if it looks fine one day and 'off the next' - and as you said its not moving - its probably fine. I might stop feeding it for a week and watching the day-day behavior

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I agree that lighting may be a tad low, parameters look good though. Lastly is could be a flow issue. Possibly not enough there either.

Nems are weird though. I have 10 that fight for the highest rock in my tank. While the largest(mother) of most of them is on the opposite side at the bottom. High flow at top, low at bottom.

I've never tested my par. I have 2 kessil 360s over a 90g tank. 13 hour schedule with 5 hours peak at 95% intensity during. My guess would be some of them are in the upper 200's
I can try turning up the light a little. About the flow, did you look at the video ? I decreased flow because it really didn’t look happy with my previous levels.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can try turning up the light a little. About the flow, did you look at the video ? I decreased flow because it really didn’t look happy with my previous levels.
If unhappy they will move. If you're going to mess with lighting do it slowly. Like 5% every 2 weeks. See how tank reacts before making an adjustment.

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If unhappy they will move. If you're going to mess with lighting do it slowly. Like 5% every 2 weeks. See how tank reacts before making an adjustment.
Last time I messed with my light I lost 2-3 corals. Mind you they weren’t happy before, but still.

Definitely something to be very careful with.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I might just do that and take pictures to compare.
As I said I don't ever feed mine on purpose. Maybe the cycle you have currently is due to the digestion that is constantly going on.

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I said I don't ever feed mine on purpose. Maybe the cycle you have currently is due to the digestion that is constantly going on.
I was feeding once a week, every saturday. Then it started getting stringy, so I started feeding twice a week, this week.

I will give it a break for the week and see how it is next week-end.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was feeding once a week, every saturday. Then it started getting stringy, so I started feeding twice a week, this week.

I will give it a break for the week and see how it is next week-end.
What ever choice you make, just stick to 1 thing. Don't stop feeding, change lights, and change flow. Give it 2-3 weeks before deciding to try something different.

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here it is just now, a few hours after eating and with the lights going down.

IMG_1613.jpeg

IMG_1614.jpeg

IMG_1611.jpeg
Definitely better photos then originally posted lol.
I apologise for questioning of original grainy video, I'm only trying to help and video looked to me like anemone was on a frag plug, I'm really sorry and apologies so much

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely better photos then originally posted lol.
I apologise for questioning of original grainy video, I'm only trying to help and video looked to me like anemone was on a frag plug, I'm really sorry and apologies so much
Hey, don’t apologize ! I thank you for trying to help and I appreciate it ! :)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 123 57.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.5%

Back