Striped Fang Blenny

MRDC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have one of these guys? What are their tempermant? My hawkfish doesn't like me adding another fish and keeps killing them by making them jump. I was told that the fang blenny can hold his own. What do you think? Personally I believe I am done adding another fish to my tank until I relocate the marroon but I still would like your input on the fang blenny.

KLR

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ive had 1..

they are neat fish..mine never tried to fight anything in the tank(75 gal tank), it held its own against 3 tangs,3 chromises and 2 clowns

they are reef safe

they are neat fish!

you can actually put multiple in a tank creating tiny schools!

what size tank do you have?

i think it would be fine..i had a longnose hawk and a striped fang blenny in the same tank for a few months with no probs, then i moved then blenny to the 75

OP
OP
M

MRDC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 120g that's been setup for 7 years. I have a 29g and 60g currently cycling.

The hawkfish just became so dang territorial after being in the tank for a few months. He doesn't mess with the current stock which include maroon clown, two-spot bristletooth tang, diamond goby and orchid dottyback. Now the maroon is about to be removed this weekend if i can catch him. He causes too much damage to the tank. He loves to knock corals around and he throws sand everywhere.

KLR

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i really think he will be fine in that size tank

is your tank covered?

whichever side the hawkfish usually is at more often, put the blenny on the exact opposite side

_Alex_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i had one for a while and loved him nevre caused any problems liked to perch up agains the rock work like litterally lay against it, also in the corner of the glass alot at night.... but then decided to try and lay on my korela current maker and didnt turn out good it got the best of him..... was a very cool fish though and fun to watch moved around a lot when lights were on then was fun to try and find where he was posted up at night, found him a couple times up against the bottom sides of a hang over in my rockwork just stuck to the bottom side of the rock sleeping i guess lol

OP
OP
M

MRDC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you think the fang blenny will hold up against the hawikfish? Do you think he can hold his own?

KLR

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hmmm i really think he will be fine

what type of hawkfish/how big is it?

OP
OP
M

MRDC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a falco and I thought it was supposed to be one of the lesser aggressive hawkfish. He is probably 4-5 inches. He has so far booted out a midas blenny, lawnmower bleny and six line wrasse.

KLR

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ooo well if he didnt like the midas blenny the fang blenny is kinda like a midas but smaller......

Im not sure what to tell you

U might need to make a thread on fish acclimation tips to prevent aggression or something

Speg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could try taking the hawk out for a little while...add the blenny...and then readd the hawk after a few hours to a day. It should confuse him and un-establish his dominance.

OP
OP
M

MRDC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love to remove the hawk but that will be very difficult. I have a tall tank and a lot of rock and the hawkfish isn't much of a swimmer. He likes to stay in the rock until it's feeding time.

OP
OP
M

MRDC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually have a net in there right now that I added last night. I plan on moving the marroon.

Does adding a fish at night with the lights off help that much?

Speg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool. I might try that. What's up Speg? Ready to send me a hornet? :p

I could...I have a bunch of stuff fragged up! One guy already wanted the hornet once it's big enough...quoted him a $50 price tag...

by the way, you should really go to the "meet/greet" area in the forum to introduce yourself/your tank! :)

OP
OP
M

MRDC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had plans to. I may get around to doing it this afternoon after I finish my errands.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 31 30.1%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 28 27.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 23.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 20 19.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back