Structural engineers: Please HELP with 7 foot DIY stand build.

mjovic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, so I've read countless posts and seen many DIY stands, but still can't tell if what I want to achieve is doable. I have an aquarium on order that is 84"L x 30"W x 24"H (265 gallons) and would like to build a stand that allows full access to the front. Which would mean I would need to span about 6' without a center brace. I was planning on using 2x6's for everything except for the bottom frame which would be 2x4 to give me a slightly larger opening. Does anyone have calculations they could run on the type and size of wood I would need to span that distance with a generous margin of safety? Or better yet, has anyone tried this and can give me first-hand advice? TIA! I'm excited to get my tank set up, but as this is my first stand build I want to make sure I take my time, do my homework and make sure it is overbuilt for peace of mind.

Diagram of what I would like to achieve is attached.

tank_design 33.75%22 high - 75 gallon sump copy@2x.png

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
from personal experience, the price paid for an appropriate stand will far be lower than the daily anxiety. IMHO - the person to ask would be a custom stand builder. Like I said I'm not an engineer - however I've experienced the problem with self-designed stands.

Thumbster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not an engineer but I’ve built a few things that haven’t fell down, yet.
I would look into some diagonal bracing though. Most people don’t, but if you push on the end of your tank the diagonal bracing will keep it from falling onto itself.

IMG_1774.jpeg

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Im not an engineer but I’ve built a few things that haven’t fell down, yet.
I would look into some diagonal bracing though. Most people don’t, but if you push on the end of your tank the diagonal bracing will keep it from falling onto itself.

IMG_1774.jpeg
is that a static or temporary load?

Thumbster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is that a static or temporary load?
I would assume static. It’s a copy/paste off of a builders website.

PeterErc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been a while now, this was for a 150. There was a thread somewhere on stand building and capacity. Supposedly the 2x6 was overkill but I wanted the piece of mind. I believe you need a center support. I added one and made a removable trim piece in case the sump had to be removed.
You may be able to get away with a metal beam that won’t sag to span the opening. But leave that to the experts.
I am by no means a carpenter and that by far is the best thing I have ever built out of wood.
Just some ideas and if I had a 6
7’ tank I would use two braces and leave large opening in center. 16671940375_974736d183_o.jpg 16049618794_34515b495b_o.jpg 15855674534_b8ce7ba7e1_o 2.jpg

PeterErc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found the thread, don’t know if can post the link . Better put your reading glasses on it’s a long one

Google

DIY stands and template calculator

OP
OP
M

mjovic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys, as I said I've researched this ad nauseam and haven't come across anyone attempting to do what I am asking so looking for some engineering help/advice here. Of course I can add a center vertical support but looking to avoid. Thanks again.

ShakeyGizzard

RedNeck Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On a side note, I'm building a much smaller 40G tank stand. I plan to make the stand with an end panel that can be removed so the 20G long sump can be removed. If this makes the stand wider than the tank, the extra will be in the back.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, so I've read countless posts and seen many DIY stands, but still can't tell if what I want to achieve is doable. I have an aquarium on order that is 84"L x 30"W x 24"H (265 gallons) and would like to build a stand that allows full access to the front. Which would mean I would need to span about 6' without a center brace. I was planning on using 2x6's for everything except for the bottom frame which would be 2x4 to give me a slightly larger opening. Does anyone have calculations they could run on the type and size of wood I would need to span that distance with a generous margin of safety? Or better yet, has anyone tried this and can give me first-hand advice? TIA! I'm excited to get my tank set up, but as this is my first stand build I want to make sure I take my time, do my homework and make sure it is overbuilt for peace of mind.

Play with this calculator.
If anything it will give you an idea.
https://www.omnicalculator.com/construction/wood-beam-span
3 2x10's should work . DONT take my word for it
As you can see I used 200 lbs/sqft and really small deflection factor.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230928-201325.png
    Screenshot_20230928-201325.png
    188.7 KB · Views: 36

RocketEngineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

For a span that size, I recommend a 2X8 top frame to minimize deflection. The uprights and base can be 2X4. I recommend stabilizing boards between the front and back rails to ensure they don’t twist plus a plywood top.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Isn't most of the weigh on the corners? I'm no engineer and I guess too much is better than not enough but I've seen stands on here that would support a car.
I've seen mass produced partical board stands that really look scary but hold the weight just fine for years. I've had this 40g breeder on this 1x3 stand for years. While I'll admit it looks a bit sketchy it has been fine.
Just an example that placement of supports is just if not more important than size of material being used tho that matters of course
20231001_182534.jpg

nuxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just find a local welder, will do it cheap... can either powder coat or spray it.

Should easily be able to cover your desired span using metal.

RocketEngineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Isn't most of the weigh on the corners? I'm no engineer and I guess too much is better than not enough but I've seen stands on here that would support a car.
I've seen mass produced partical board stands that really look scary but hold the weight just fine for years. I've had this 40g breeder on this 1x3 stand for years. While I'll admit it looks a bit sketchy it has been fine.
Just an example that placement of supports is just if not more important than size of material being used tho that matters of course
20231001_182534.jpg

I AM an engineer and have been posting about wood stands for almost two decades. :cool: To quote “this is a case of go back and do it again” because that’s beyond sketchy.

In any of these stand designs, look how the load gets moved from the tank to the floor. In a good design, the legs are directly under the top so the load goes from board to board. All the screws do is keep it held in place. Trusting screws or nails to carry weight in an area where saltwater corrodes anything it can is asking for trouble.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I AM an engineer and have been posting about wood stands for almost two decades. :cool: To quote “this is a case of go back and do it again” because that’s beyond sketchy.

In any of these stand designs, look how the load gets moved from the tank to the floor. In a good design, the legs are directly under the top so the load goes from board to board. All the screws do is keep it held in place. Trusting screws or nails to carry weight in an area where saltwater corrodes anything it can is asking for trouble.
It's been beyond sketchy for years and in an unfinished basement so I'll roll with it a for a few more years.

RocketEngineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been beyond sketchy for years and in an unfinished basement so I'll roll with it a for a few more years.
That’s on you but it’s not something I would recommend. :grinning-squinting-face::) To each their own. Now, it’s possible to build a stand for that size tank with 1X3 it’s the joints that make me nervous.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand the question at hand but did the OP consider an aluminum profile stand?
Something like this in @Stang67 build thread would be awesome IMO and much easier to move than a solid wood stand. This is a 72x24 tank she has but could probably do one for a 84x30 I would think.
20220213_101604.jpg
20220213_101249.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 118 58.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.5%
Back