Struggling with some sps

Nicholas Dushynsky

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d look into trace element supplements since you aren’t adding via your two part. It’s likely that your colonies are consuming more than can be corrected with water changes.

Water testing might be useful too. It would give you a better idea on what is low without dosing a trace element supplement that would increase everything.
This is where an icp test comes in handy.

Millopolis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Solid advice from everyone here. I had a similar issue on an earlier tank where a frag rack magnet was leaching and I couldn’t figure out for weeks why my SPS were unhappy. Metals leaching in. Took the magnet out and it solved the problem. If your sure it’s not that, then I would guess it’s your trace elements since you dose two part. I use a calcium reactor because it adds exactly what the corals need.

Nicholas Dushynsky

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Solid advice from everyone here. I had a similar issue on an earlier tank where a frag rack magnet was leaching and I couldn’t figure out for weeks why my SPS were unhappy. Metals leaching in. Took the magnet out and it solved the problem. If your sure it’s not that, then I would guess it’s your trace elements since you dose two part. I use a calcium reactor because it adds exactly what the corals need.
If I was to add a reactor to mine it would cost more than my whole setup. I think I'll give it a miss. But if I do go for dosing trace elements I'll have to do alot of research of which would be best for my size system, or just go back to lps and water changes.

OP
OP
gonzo620

gonzo620

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Paul Sands @Millopolis I thought the trace elements was a possibility. Confident none of the equipment is rusting out.

I’ve actually sent out a Icp test last week. Won a test through a zoa grow out competition on my local forum believe it or not.
61F31D5D-7FB3-4772-A726-6A5A5F0FCE45.jpeg

05488AD4-BEE4-4F48-8D81-47CCCF272097.jpeg

How long is the turnaround on the Icp test? Definitely doing some research on trace elements now. Anybody have any recommendations? Any good links to start me off?

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bet your sps would do a 180 if you took the gfo offline for a while. I hate gfo. I couldn’t keep any sps alive or even happy when using it and/or nopox. Now my po4 is 0.2-0.3 and the colors and growth have exploded. Good luck. I hope you figure it out

Nicholas Dushynsky

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have noticed this morning that my remaining sps are stripping so I'm just going to go all euphillias I think as I've still got the first one I bought 13 years ago and can keep that one alive.
Just a thought do sps sometimes take a while to react to an issue as in a temp swing, or do they just start dying for no discernable reason that I cant test for. I've even tested for stray voltage and I cant seem to put my finger on why something that was once flourishing has just started to wither and die. Could it be a form of chemical warfare from euphillias?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 29 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 109 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.4%
Back