Struggling with SPS - I think

Natural_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No one growing or selling acros will have them under low light....cuz they prefer high light....
Yes, acros prefer high light! However, they will be extremely stressed from being transferred to another system which most likely not the same parameters (plus the stress from being shipped). This is why we all put new frags in the lower PAR area to get them acclimated.

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I've had a mixed reef going for well over a year now.

Tank - Waterbox Frag 105.4
Reef Octopus Skimmer
Full APEX system including Trident

Alk, CA, and Mg all stay pretty consistent through my Trident output:

Alk - 8.48
CA - 402
MG - 1332

Lighting up until recently consisted of 2 XR15 Blues. I recently added a Aquatic Life T5HO Hybrid and I'm now running the XR15's and 2 T5 Blue Plus and 2 T5 Coral Plus

I was struggling with having 0 nitrates for a long time - I recently started dosing Nitrate and it's been around 15ppm via Hanna Nitrate HR. That may be a bit high? Phosphates have been pretty consistently under .05 via Hanna Checker Phosphate ULR.

I picked up a small SPS frag from my LFS and it was doing great when I added it. Recently the tips started to brown a bit and then lower parts of the frag started to bleach out and lose tissue, so I did move it down as it was getting around 320 par where it was. LFS had no idea what SPS it was? I have zero issues with mushrooms, zoanthids and LPS. They all thrive in my tank. I've attached my PAR log over the past 7 days - the par meter has been placed where the SPS coral is.

Where should I start looking first, as I really want to keep SPS? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Screen Shot 2022-11-10 at 11.59.42 PM.png
If everything is where it should be you should definitely start with captive bred stuff. Red planets, yellow tips, pearlberry first and see what happens. Alot of deals comming this black friday. Can find something your looking for.

OP
OP
neotactical

neotactical

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Snagged some pictures tonight of the new stuff. There are a few chalice in the mix, but mostly sps - see the brown algae? Assuming it's tissue that was burned? Any input is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_3408.JPG
    IMG_3408.JPG
    173.8 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_3411.JPG
    IMG_3411.JPG
    129.8 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_3412.JPG
    IMG_3412.JPG
    171.7 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_3413.JPG
    IMG_3413.JPG
    126.4 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_3414.JPG
    IMG_3414.JPG
    121.7 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_3415.JPG
    IMG_3415.JPG
    104 KB · Views: 61
OP
OP
neotactical

neotactical

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't dip anything. I'm usually find a place stick it there, and for the most part - goes okay - but SPS continue = fail.

sculpin01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kind of looks like tip burn (plus dino’s) on several of those Acropora.

The reason you start with low light is shipping stress/acclimation stress, which can be similar to bleaching.

OP
OP
neotactical

neotactical

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kind of looks like tip burn (plus dino’s) on several of those Acropora.

The reason you start with low light is shipping stress/acclimation stress, which can be similar to bleaching.
I just finished hooking up my UV sterilizer. I also have a new bulb coming because the existing one is roughly a year old. Hopefully if it is dino's the UV can take care of it.

ninjamyst

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just make sure you get them from a good vendor. My order from @TCK Corals came in today. Full polyp extensions in the bag and in the tank. I have gotten frags from big names with local pickup and they don't even have this much polyp extensions or color. So the source does matter...

1000000472.jpg

1000000470.jpg

Reefer45C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just make sure you get them from a good vendor. My order from @TCK Corals came in today. Full polyp extensions in the bag and in the tank. I have gotten frags from big names with local pickup and they don't even have this much polyp extensions or color. So the source does matter...

1000000472.jpg

1000000470.jpg
Beautiful assortment of frags you got there... I see you must of picked up @TCK Corals UC Dippin Dots door buster lol... I also did too and I am with you 100% on frags from @TCK Corals, they are super healthy and have awesome color and PE in the bag and instantly in my tank. Luck for me I am local to them, so I can swing by on my way home from work and pick up!!! Dan is the Man!

OP
OP
neotactical

neotactical

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1000000472.jpg

1000000470.jpg
Those are stunning! I'll check TCK out when I do my next SPS order. I've mostly purchased from GWCorals on ebay.

OP
OP
neotactical

neotactical

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful assortment of frags you got there... I see you must of picked up @TCK Corals UC Dippin Dots door buster lol... I also did too and I am with you 100% on frags from @TCK Corals, they are super healthy and have awesome color and PE in the bag and instantly in my tank. Luck for me I am local to them, so I can swing by on my way home from work and pick up!!! Dan is the Man!
Oh wow - I just saw - they are in Buffalo. I'm in Northeast Ohio, so going to Buffalo is not a big deal for me. Years ago with a previous tank I went to a place in Buffalo called Reef Creations or something along those lines. It was a pretty small cramped store, but back when I was there they had nice looking stuff. Is this by chance the same place under a new name?

LOVEROCK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1000000472.jpg

1000000470.jpg
Any pest during the dip ?

ninjamyst

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any pest during the dip ?
I will be honest. I usually dip but this time I separated out the acros from the rest of my order and did not dip the acros. I dipped the zoas and gonis and montis in revive and nothing came off. I inspected each acro frag with flashlight and did not notice any bite marks so I just added them all in without dip. Last time I dipped acros from another vendor, had a 20% death rate so this time I decided to take the risk and not dip.

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something to consider is the fact that many LFS keep their corals in relatively low par conditions because it's cheaper for them electricity-wise and the fact that most of these corals are going to cycle out of the shop within a few weeks of putting them on display. I say if you get ANY coral, place it on the bottom and watch its response for the first week or two. Just because you have 250 par at a certain depth doesn't mean you can just "plug" any acro frag into that spot. You might have to acclimate it from 100 par to 250 over the course of a few weeks, if not months. If the coral retains color and starts growing/encrusting, move it up an inch and rubber band/zip tie the frag to a rock. Give it a week or two and repeat.

LOVEROCK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will be honest. I usually dip but this time I separated out the acros from the rest of my order and did not dip the acros. I dipped the zoas and gonis and montis in revive and nothing came off. I inspected each acro frag with flashlight and did not notice any bite marks so I just added them all in without dip. Last time I dipped acros from another vendor, had a 20% death rate so this time I decided to take the risk and not dip.
Did you inspect with a jewelers loop ? Or just your bare eyes

Reefer45C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh wow - I just saw - they are in Buffalo. I'm in Northeast Ohio, so going to Buffalo is not a big deal for me. Years ago with a previous tank I went to a place in Buffalo called Reef Creations or something along those lines. It was a pretty small cramped store, but back when I was there they had nice looking stuff. Is this by chance the same place under a new name?
Yea that's A Reef Creations... They are literally located right next to each other, but depending on how long ago you went Randy may have had it at his older location. Now they are in the same facility kind of... I buy from both, Randy (A Reef Creation) has awesome coral, and a great selection of fish... I get my dry goods and livestock from him, never had any problems with them. We have it pretty well here in Buffalo lol, its a good trade off for the snow!

OP
OP
neotactical

neotactical

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes - I recall talking to Randy! The space I went to was really cramped, but I loved it - a few rimless frag tanks when you first walked in and then in the back it was fish only if I recall. My Dad and I drove up together and stopped somewhere for beef on wek!

Reefer45C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes - I recall talking to Randy! The space I went to was really cramped, but I loved it - a few rimless frag tanks when you first walked in and then in the back it was fish only if I recall. My Dad and I drove up together and stopped somewhere for beef on wek!
Probably Charlie The Butcher right on the corner near ARC & TCK lol

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%

Back