Struggling with water cloudiness

MarcinPl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All!
My tank seems like a very good habitat for corals, they grow like crazy, but for the last weeks I have been fighting water cloudiness that
looks like Calcium precipitate - there are small white, sand-like particle in the water, and the water is generally cloudy.
I base on ATI Essentials+. Did an experiment once and stopped dosing ATI, the water turned crystal clear overnight.
I also noticed that my Mg is dropping (even though ATI 2 should provide it) and I started additionaly dosing Mg

Having watched the BRS movie, I added a circulation pump to sump in the place where the ATI1/2 are added.
ATI 1 (the one with kH) immediately turns white when added to water (looks normal in the bottle)
My tank is Red Sea 525XL
kH 8.0
NO3 2.6
PO4 0.03
Ca 424
Mg 1363
I dose ATI Essentials +, NO3PO4-X. I also run Rowaphos and BioPellet Reactors.
I strongly think that ATI is causing the cloudiness and consider switching to another product, but maybe there is something that could fix
the cloudiness... Anyone had similar problem with ATI ?

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All!
My tank seems like a very good habitat for corals, they grow like crazy, but for the last weeks I have been fighting water cloudiness that
looks like Calcium precipitate - there are small white, sand-like particle in the water, and the water is generally cloudy.
I base on ATI Essentials+. Did an experiment once and stopped dosing ATI, the water turned crystal clear overnight.
I also noticed that my Mg is dropping (even though ATI 2 should provide it) and I started additionaly dosing Mg

Having watched the BRS movie, I added a circulation pump to sump in the place where the ATI1/2 are added.
ATI 1 (the one with kH) immediately turns white when added to water (looks normal in the bottle)
My tank is Red Sea 525XL
kH 8.0
NO3 2.6
PO4 0.03
Ca 424
Mg 1363
I dose ATI Essentials +, NO3PO4-X. I also run Rowaphos and BioPellet Reactors.
I strongly think that ATI is causing the cloudiness and consider switching to another product, but maybe there is something that could fix
the cloudiness... Anyone had similar problem with ATI ?
You have been thorough in solving the cloudy water issue. Trying another product would be worth a try.

OP
OP
M

MarcinPl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have been thorough in solving the cloudy water issue. Trying another product would be worth a try.
Yes, but if the problem continues, I will go crazy.. :) I wanted to ask if anyone had similar issue with ATI before ?

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, but if the problem continues, I will go crazy.. :) I wanted to ask if anyone had similar issue with ATI before ?
Yes, I understand. Usually, just me making a comment will stimulate someone to give a good answer.

I had one more idea. Could you try diluting the additive with RO water?

OP
OP
M

MarcinPl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I understand. Usually, just me making a comment will stimulate someone to give a good answer.

I had one more idea. Could you try diluting the additive with RO water?
Wouldnt like to dilute more, because:
1. ATI Essentials+ is supposed to be already diluted
2. My tank consumes around 50ml of each liquid per day. I would need to refill liquid containers every few days.
If the answer is to dilute, I would rather switch to something else :)

OP
OP
M

MarcinPl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One think that some colleagues suggested. Mg in water should be equal to 4*Ca.
I am going to lower Ca a bit while keeping the Mg.. Hope this helps

OP
OP
M

MarcinPl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, If anyone is reading this.. I noticed that ATI Essentials+ 1 turns to white snow in contact with water. I made an experiment and created a jug of new saltwater, added a few drops of ATI1 and.. the same effect. I think 90% it's the fault of ATI1 liquid or (10%) something wrong with the salt I use

OP
OP
M

MarcinPl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just stop using ATI. Are you sure its not bacteria? Do you have a UV? If you have UV then do a process of elimination.
Well it doesnt look like bacteria but looks exactly like that ATI snow.. I made experiment and stopped dosing ATI since yesterday. Water is better.. but when I add a bit of it, the snow appears

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 63 36.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back