OP
OP
markstubb

markstubb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol. But being awesome is even better! Malay is a simple language but there's definitely some intricacies to it. Especially how I learned that East Malaysia Malay is different than peninsular.

zcedric

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along!
Nice tanks so far!

How far away from the wall is the tank?
I learned that a few more inchs is better, it happens so many times that i need to reach behind.

Sea MunnKey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol. But being awesome is even better! Malay is a simple language but there's definitely some intricacies to it. Especially how I learned that East Malaysia Malay is different than peninsular.

Yes ... East Malaysian Malay language is more "simple" unlike West Malaysia ... them Malay folks have too many weird slangs which absolutely don't make sense ... lol

OP
OP
markstubb

markstubb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nasi Lemak either from Madam Kwan (Petronas Twin Towers) or Uncle Lee's. There's lots of delicious dishes to try out while there.

Have you tried durian yet?
I actually had Nasi Lemak last week from Ben's in Pavilion. It was pretty darn good, although I had no idea what some of the ingredients were. When I was in Madam Kwan's I can't remember what I had but it was also good.

I'm going to bite my tongue on the durian as to not offend you, but let's just say I don't keep it around the house. haha

OP
OP
markstubb

markstubb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along!
Nice tanks so far!

How far away from the wall is the tank?
I learned that a few more inchs is better, it happens so many times that i need to reach behind.
Thanks! It's approximately 5.5" from the wall. Seems like enough space and I tested being able to reach to the middle of the tank from each side before I filled it and it was a good spot where I felt comfortable letting it rest for a few years.

OP
OP
markstubb

markstubb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes ... East Malaysian Malay language is more "simple" unlike West Malaysia ... them Malay folks have too many weird slangs which absolutely don't make sense ... lol
And they freaking abbreviate EVERYTHING when they type. Makes it hard for me to follow what's happening

Sea MunnKey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually had Nasi Lemak last week from Ben's in Pavilion. It was pretty darn good, although I had no idea what some of the ingredients were. When I was in Madam Kwan's I can't remember what I had but it was also good.

I'm going to bite my tongue on the durian as to not offend you, but let's just say I don't keep it around the house. haha

Heck dude ... not offended at all. It's the kinda fruit that not all locals like as well.

Sea MunnKey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And they freaking abbreviate EVERYTHING when they type. Makes it hard for me to follow what's happening

Yeah heck I dislike that very much ... like "Ardy, Oredi, Wakaka etc". Every time my old high school buddies WhatsApp text us ... my wife would asked me to "encrypt" the abbreviations. We're both from Sabah.

OP
OP
markstubb

markstubb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This Gaya Eco Resort has a Clam Farm ... http://echoresorts.com/gayana/
That place looks legit! Gonna have to check it out!

Heck dude ... not offended at all. It's the kinda fruit that not all locals like as well.

If it didn't smell so terrible and look like a murder scene inside a wrecked pineapple, I might like it. The taste is just OK to me. I know folks are pretty protective of the durian, so I was treading lightly :-D

Sea MunnKey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh ... we may be planning a vacation back to KK next year (hopefully) and would definitely stop over in KL including Pahang & Penang (for durians) as we have a couple of long time buddies over there as well.

PPssttt ... I may pay you a visit and meet over delicious food

Sarawak is a heaven for wild durians ... ;Yuck

Last edited:

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's my first swing at the rockwork:

Then I moved some things around, and by that I mean I got the wife involved. I think it looks better. Yes, you were right, honey.

That's all for now!
Saw the update, but got lost in replying after reading the whole Malaysia-Singapore discussion... LOL.
I go the same problem with the Ecotech Coral Glue. Bought 3 of them and they arrived all 2 as a thick unusable jelly. That was the last time I ever bought coral glue as now I just go to the hardware store for some plumber epoxy and glue.
I liked the first rock scape most. It gives me a more natural impression and looks like more swimming space between the rocks. It would also improve water movement and trap less dirt. But that is just from that one picture.
... and yes, having rock travelling more than half the world is insane... but you are a reefer so it is fine and understood. :p

The build is looking great, nice wire management and the sump is awesome.

How do you think to seed the tank for cycling?

OP
OP
markstubb

markstubb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saw the update, but got lost in replying after reading the whole Malaysia-Singapore discussion... LOL.
I go the same problem with the Ecotech Coral Glue. Bought 3 of them and they arrived all 2 as a thick unusable jelly. That was the last time I ever bought coral glue as now I just go to the hardware store for some plumber epoxy and glue.
I liked the first rock scape most. It gives me a more natural impression and looks like more swimming space between the rocks. It would also improve water movement and trap less dirt. But that is just from that one picture.
... and yes, having rock travelling more than half the world is insane... but you are a reefer so it is fine and understood. :p

The build is looking great, nice wire management and the sump is awesome.

How do you think to seed the tank for cycling?

Haha yeah I was worried that our little side discussion might bury the real meat of the update in the thread! I bought some Ecotech glue locally and keep it in the freezer, but I have to thaw it before I can use it, which takes a while.

The first scape was my first swag at it, but i was worried that not having enough taller rocks in the middle would limit my ability to have euphyllias. Which, honestly, After having the tank running for a while, I pretty much have killed every euphyllia I've put in there anyway. End of the day, these XF250's are too powerful. I've tried to move them around and play with settings, but the only thing that has allowed the tank to "work" is to just pulse them alternating. It's been a battle with the pumps. My buddy here told me I just have an SPS tank and not to mess with the soft stuff, but the soft stuff provides that movement I like. Lots of colors too.

I haven't had too much problem with detritus to be honest. I want to post an update with what the tank looks like right now but I'm still working my way towards the pay off post. Already have some SPS in there that are mostly doing OK. Coraline is finally starting to pop up too. I even have some christmas tree worms :-D

I seeded with a lot of Aquaforest Bio-S, which took a while - rather I never really had a "spike" of ammonia according to the seneye. I even went so far as to drop a prawn in the tank for a while. Still never saw a spike. I think between the bacteria on the caribsea rocks and the Bio-S, I cruised through the cycle quickly.

OP
OP
markstubb

markstubb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And I'll get to this eventually, but I want to tell everyone that gold head sleeper gobies are the devil and I want them to burn.

OP
OP
markstubb

markstubb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
seriously. gold headed sleepers are the suck. i wish i could get this thing out without destroying my tank

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try to give the gyres a more downwards direction.
I found it gave better results instead of upper towards the surface.
I love the power they have.

Gold head goby suck.
You need the diamond goby instead. Those turn the sand and stay at the bottom. Not like the gold head which spit it directly where is high flow.

OP
OP
markstubb

markstubb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try to give the gyres a more downwards direction.
I found it gave better results instead of upper towards the surface.
I love the power they have.

Gold head goby suck.
You need the diamond goby instead. Those turn the sand and stay at the bottom. Not like the gold head which spit it directly where is high flow.
I'm telling you, I tried just about everything. The issue is my tank is so deep front to back and the rocks, as grown up high as they are, don't give me any spots for euphyllias if i have the gyres cranked up whatsoever. I tried to something similar to the BRS video where they have them alternate ramping up and down to move the gyre left and right on the tank, but they just blow everything around.

If I could catch that goby, it'd be gone. I will break down at some point and segment out the tank and take out some rocks but I REALLY don't want to do it just to catch that mf'ing fish! I learned my lesson. Dude scoops up sand, swims up 10" and dumps it all over everything. He's personally responsible for killing quite a few of my corals, even when I blow them off constantly.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 20 16.3%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 54 43.9%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%

Back