markstubb

markstubb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1D6A754C-374A-4D75-92B3-C746C702C305.jpeg
F618F59F-EE6F-475A-94F2-70F4C312BB6C.jpeg
Anyone know what kind of flatworms these are?

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
markstubb

markstubb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will all of the wrasse i have keep them in check? I have a leopard, lunar, moyeri and a melanurus. I haven't noticed a single flatworm in the DT. The pic I took was just in the fuge. Luckily I can easily get flatworm exit here. I'll get some on my next LFS trip.

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was not aware about the wrasse collection. The melanurus is one of the best.
I would wait with the chemicals and check regularly the DT.
Let nature do what I does best.

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What else did you throw in those 120gal so far?
;Drool

OP
OP
markstubb

markstubb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha I need to get to the house for my fish list but tangs, gobies, etc. I’ve lost a few amazing fish along the way too but luckily they’re easier to find here than in the states. I’ve even battled ich at one point already, with much success.

Have been focusing on corals a lot lately since the ich breakout.

OP
OP
markstubb

markstubb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was not aware about the wrasse collection. The melanurus is one of the best.
I would wait with the chemicals and check regularly the DT.
Let nature do what I does best.
Yeah I think they’ve been keeping it under control and I just never knew it was happening. The ones I noticed in the fuge were pretty big considering I haven’t added anything in a while and have never noticed them before. I’ve dipped every single coral I’ve added as well

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha I need to get to the house for my fish list but tangs, gobies, etc. I’ve lost a few amazing fish along the way too but luckily they’re easier to find here than in the states. I’ve even battled ich at one point already, with much success.

Have been focusing on corals a lot lately since the ich breakout.
Would like to see an update

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a question that I can't seem to figure out the answer to. I posted it in another thread but then realized I should have just posted it here... https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/ph-from-skimmer-outside-air-or-co2-scrubber.391907/
First suggestion... do not make a big fuss about it. 7.8-8 is a good level where even most of the reefers keep their pH at. If your tank is now running well without any mayor concerns, why take the burden to look for trouble while there is none.

Still waiting for that latest tank shot... you filled it with some nice goodies by now

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh something else I wanted to check with you...
If you are close to Singapore and have the time to make trip crossing the border, go and take a look at Fantasy Corals.
I have not been there but we recently ordered a 100pc frags pack to ship to Dubai and the corals are looking great.
They are on Instagram as well and very helpful.

OP
OP
markstubb

markstubb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as the pH, I somewhat agree with you, but like most reefers, I like to tinker. Most of the other stuff seems to be AOK for now. Still have some brown furry algae on the rocks and get diatoms on the sand, well i think that's what it is anyway. The stuff on the rocks isn't easily brushed off. It's brown and clumps the sand when i turkey baste it away.. goes away at night. Barely any coraline at this point, but I see signs of it on the rear glass and a few tiny spots on the rocks.

Started running GFO more aggressively the past month, hadn't been running it at all due to the fuge getting started.

Haha I know about the FTS. I'm trying to be dubious and work my way to the current state. Today was an interesting day - one of my cleaners either got popped by a pistol shrimp or someone went haywire and ate it. The other one seems OK. I heard the pistol clacking around then saw a possum wrasse carrying around one of the tentacles like it was a dog with a bone. Then earlier this morning I noticed the fish going crazy and it seems they either killed or found a dead black ray shrimp goby that should have been with the pistol. I'll at least give the fish list.

Blue Jaw Trigger (male & female)
Lunar Wrasse
Goldhead Sleeper Goby
Mandarin
Leopard Wrasse
Tail Spot Blenny (pair)
2 Firefish
5 PJ Cardinals
Flame Angel
Yellow Eye Kole Tang
Yellow Tang
Royal Gramma
Rainford's Goby (Court Jester)
Cleaner Shrimp (pair)
Carpenter Fairy Wrasse
Lubbock Fairy Wrasse
Black Ear Wrasse
Black Ray Shrimp Goby
Melanurus Wrasse

OP
OP
markstubb

markstubb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh something else I wanted to check with you...
If you are close to Singapore and have the time to make trip crossing the border, go and take a look at Fantasy Corals.
I have not been there but we recently ordered a 100pc frags pack to ship to Dubai and the corals are looking great.
They are on Instagram as well and very helpful.
I go there quite often but haven't driven yet. Wife is actually there right now. I haven't been to that shop - have been to quite a few others there. I will check and see if they sell colonies as I don't have the time in this tank to grow out toothpicks of sps. We will probably only be here another year and a half and at that point I need to break down the tank and move.

OP
OP
markstubb

markstubb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you knew of the grief this one little fish caused me, you'd understand why i'm so dang excited that I caught it. I caught it with a HOOK no less! I picked up 5 new SPS colonies today and noticed that all the fish hid when I floated the bags, so I figured it was my chance to try and hook him. I got some frozen food out and found a piece big enough for a little hook I got, lowered it down in front of his den and BLAM he hit it, casually swum away, then realized what the heck as I pulled him out. Couldn't believe it. Took me about 8 seconds to get him out when I've been trying with a net and traps for months. SO HAPPY. I was so excited I didn't stop to take a pic of him on the hook. The only thing that sucked is the hook went through right under his eye so I'm hoping he'll be OK. I couldn't find barbless hooks here so it had a small barb on it. His eye wasn't pierced, so hoping he'll be OK. Back to the fish shop next trip I make!

IMG_5604.JPG

OP
OP
markstubb

markstubb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And I realize that most folks seem to have problems long term with these types of sand sifters, but mine is fat as a pig. He seems quite healthy so hopefully someone else will find a good home for him.

psidriven

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great tank and writeup. Definitely look forward to your visits to indonesia coral markets. Sps colonies are getting rarer here in Taiwan compared to a few years before.

OP
OP
markstubb

markstubb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I made a cool little gadget for my MP40 the other day and outlined it in another thread which is working out pretty well. Still need to do an update on where the sump ended up and then onto the FTS and all the other stuff that's been happening the past few months.

OP
OP
markstubb

markstubb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also found this algae the other day and hoping it's not bryopsis so I don't have to deal with it. It is hopefully GHA, just a feathery kind. It's only in a few places in the tank at the moment., mostly behind powerheads or low light areas. IMG_1221.jpg

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mark, how is the tank doing these days?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back