Stung/bitten by something from my coral

scandinavian reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys ! My name is David I live in Sweden and I’m new to this forum but happy to be here.
Soo as my title says I got some corals today from my LFS and was acclimating them as usual. Then when I was going to move them from the plastic bag something happened… it was when I was going to pick up my cynarina coral I suddenly felt pain on the underside of my arm like a (bite or stinging feeling)in my reaction I just flipped the “thing” with my hand. The only thing I managed to see in all panic was something small and black but I couldn’t find anything on the floor later…. Just hope I wasn’t bitten by something poisonous. I mean if it was poisonous I wouldn’t probably be writing here now since this was approximately 2 hours ago.

to my question is there any possible way that poisonous hitchhikers can come with corals ? Or does anyone else had a similar experience ?

muzikalmatt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to say what it could have been without a picture. My first guess (excluding your description) would be a bristleworm or fireworm as they can sting, but they don't match your description of something "small and black". It could potentially have been a small urchin maybe.

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

Think about getting long waterproof gloves for handling your corals.

32E9F3C3-ADEA-4E66-A547-E2AC11DA30BD.gif

muzikalmatt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

Think about getting long waterproof gloves for handling your corals.

32E9F3C3-ADEA-4E66-A547-E2AC11DA30BD.gif
I second this recommendation and not just to protect you from stings. It will also prevent you from accidentally contaminating your tank with anything on your hands/arms such as oils, lotions, or soap.

OP
OP
S

scandinavian reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will definitely get gloves from now on. I would have gotten a picture if I only could find the thing but I guess I will never know what it was. Anyway i feel fine now and that’s what’s important.
Next purchase will be gloves

TheDragonsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most common things youll get pricked or stung by is a bristle worm or vermetid snail shell. Bristle worms have thin white bristles that can give you a good sting and may get lodged like a splinter but typically wont do much else. Vermetid snail shells break pretty easy but are sharp and may cut or prick you.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
probably nothing, wash effected area with hot water and soap usually treats stings from corals, lionfish, bristleworms, etc

TnFishwater98

Drink more fishwater there! And I still want more!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys ! My name is David I live in Sweden and I’m new to this forum but happy to be here.
Soo as my title says I got some corals today from my LFS and was acclimating them as usual. Then when I was going to move them from the plastic bag something happened… it was when I was going to pick up my cynarina coral I suddenly felt pain on the underside of my arm like a (bite or stinging feeling)in my reaction I just flipped the “thing” with my hand. The only thing I managed to see in all panic was something small and black but I couldn’t find anything on the floor later…. Just hope I wasn’t bitten by something poisonous. I mean if it was poisonous I wouldn’t probably be writing here now since this was approximately 2 hours ago.

to my question is there any possible way that poisonous hitchhikers can come with corals ? Or does anyone else had a similar experience ?
You sure it wasn’t a spider it something? You said you felt it on the underside of your arm, just wonder how the coral touched the underside of your arm...?....Do that store sell reptiles?

OP
OP
S

scandinavian reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Black (Haliclona cnidata) stinging sponges are fairly common and sting like fire. Treatment is to immerse the stung appendage in vinegar for 5-10 minutes until the pain resolves.
You sure it wasn’t a spider it something? You said you felt it on the underside of your arm, just wonder how the coral touched the underside of your arm...?....Do that store sell reptiles?
Sculpin : yea could have been a sponge of some sort as I said I only managed to see Like a very small black dot since I was in panic haha. But yea the feeling was like fire and I got a mark on the arm as well it even got a little swollen but today it feels fine.

tnfishwater 98: the coral itself didn’t touch the underside of my arm it happend when I reached the coral in the plastic bag and since the bag is quite tall a part of my underside of the arm got in contact with the water of the bag. My suspicion is that whatever it was it was in the water of the bag and got on my arm and then pinched/stung or bite me.

OP
OP
S

scandinavian reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
859AEE6A-D767-4C67-9691-0C1674A2C5CE.jpeg

This is a picture. Taken today the day after I’m not swollen anymore and it’s hard to tell on the picture. But I still got a little mark. I should have taken a picture yesterday but I forgot.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 77 76.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 6.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back