Stupid Question - Feeding the Bottom Feeders... Responsibly

capito2007

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So today I purchased a watchman goby and a pistol shrimp. Both relatively small so I’m sure they won’t eat a ton... the only other livestock I have are two piglet clowns...
My question is... how do I get food down to the shrimp and goby, without over feeding to ensure food gets to the bottom?
I have pellets and flake food... but usually only feed the pellets because the clowns don’t seem to give af about the flakes

Tia

Aldrinlights

Reeth Huthbandry
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed frozen mysis and my shrimp always comes out to get food. My goby even eats the mysis. I turn off my flow when feeding and then some of it gets around on the floor. They are scavengers though and will usually find plenty to eat.

melonheadorion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i feed my goby sinking crumbles. since they are big enough, the other fish cant eat them before they get to the bottom. my goby tends to be a pig, so my shrimp usually doesnt get his hand on any of these, but i make sure to feed my shrimp directly. mine is not afraid, so i can get a baster or tweezers to him, to feed him directly. i usually dont worry about feeding the shrimp directly too much because he gets whatever the goby and other fish miss anyway

Nigel35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Frozen food works quite well. I used to feed my gold-head goby with hikari brine shrimp and he ate like a pig. Just hold the cube of frozen next to the powerhead and it will blow around the tank (be conscious of how much is getting blown around at a single time). The food should go near the bottom, middle, top and that way all your fish are fed. Frozen foods don't tend to spoil and jack up nutrient levels as much as prepared foods like pellets and flakes so you can be a bit more liberal with your feeding but still responsible.

Nigel

Back