Substrate Change

Reaper_Six_Four

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 6 month established reef tank with inverts/corals/fish. I started with some really fine substrate but am looking to change it (gradually) with something heavier as the flow from my return pump and powerhead tends to sift it around (on low settings, not pointed directly towards substrate).

My plan is to do 20% substrate change over the course of 3 water changes (2 week intervals).

My question is this, do I need to remove my live stock to accomplish this? All live stock?

Thanks in advance.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dont do it that way, its not safe though the mases will state that it is. it's not.

do it all at once, here's 250+ jobs done all at once:

you tap rinse out your new sand for hours, then one final rinse in RO, then you install it all at once. drain off most of your water in the current tank for re use, add some new make water for the rest. do it all at once.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

there's one single job you'd copy from that 250+ above.

OP
OP
Reaper_Six_Four

Reaper_Six_Four

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

there's one single job you'd copy from that 250+ above.
What about adding additional substrate? Do I need to remove all livestock? I'm ultimately trying to avoid removing and stressing out the habitants. I could use more substrate.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It stresses the inhabitants to do it in sections you need to disassemble and reassemble. The aren't 50 page work threads on doing partial exchanges because those aren't safe, some tanks die from partial jobs. You can see in eight years pics no animals are stressed they're better looking than ever in all jobs logged.

If you want to add sand vs replace, you rinse it like we do in all jobs then just add it, it'll be cloudless and not mess up things. A total exchange is better, adding to means capping off waste.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 23 29.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 38.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 25.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back