Substrate

  • Thread starter Thread starter Pete Luna
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Pete Luna

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 23, 2019
Messages
844
Reaction score
535
Location
Norway
What state or country do you live in
South Carolina
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don’t see people with substrate in their breeder tanks. I’m setting up new system for my pairs using 20gal talls I want them to have a little room, and the tanks to look a little better than bare bottom

Any thoughts?
 
Bare bottom is easier to clean is why people dont use a substrate.
 
I don’t see people with substrate in their breeder tanks. I’m setting up new system for my pairs using 20gal talls I want them to have a little room, and the tanks to look a little better than bare bottom

Any thoughts?
Depends. My breeding tank is my display tank so it has substrate. Is it harder to catch babies, yes. People do it because many breeder tanks are overfed, cleaned and use water changes for parameters. There is nothing stopping you from using substrate but you have to be the one to figure out how your system will work for you.
 
I have one pair in my main 220gal, they like all the others lay in a clay pot so getting babies isn’t an issue. batch out of main tank
 

Attachments

  • 1BB15320-2967-4EBA-B0A1-52E4D19F0FDF.jpeg
    1BB15320-2967-4EBA-B0A1-52E4D19F0FDF.jpeg
    208.6 KB · Views: 74
It depends very much on the species you plan to breed. Many fish don't care but if you, for example, plan on breeding jawfish you will need a substantial layer of gravel and sand. Same with a number of gobies.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 9 5.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 13 7.6%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 15.9%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 57 33.5%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 12 7.1%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 12 7.1%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 26 15.3%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 12 7.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new