Success post for 8 hour transport

kayla s

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I recently made an 8 hour drive transporting a 20g tank, with 100% inhabitants surviving, so I thought I’d make a little case experiment write up in case it can help others.
My method used 2 five gallon buckets, inside a styrofoam cooler. Both filled with display tank water, then fish in one bucket, coral and Live Rock in the other. We used a plastic shower cap wrapped around the mouth of the buckets to keep water from splashing all over the car.
A battery powered bubbler and 50w thermometer was in each bucket, attached to a 400W power Inverter in the car. Every 2 hours we checked temperature, and had zero issues.
Upon setting up new tank, we used NutriSea water entirely, with NEW sand. Reused live rock and reused the old biomedia, while keeping BioSpira and Prime on hand.
It is day 5 since the move, and I have zero ammonia, 5ppm Nitrate, while anemones and fish are looking healthy as ever! Even the emerald crab, hermit crab, and nassarius snail survived the haul.

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I recently made an 8 hour drive transporting a 20g tank, with 100% inhabitants surviving, so I thought I’d make a little case experiment write up in case it can help others.
My method used 2 five gallon buckets, inside a styrofoam cooler. Both filled with display tank water, then fish in one bucket, coral and Live Rock in the other. We used a plastic shower cap wrapped around the mouth of the buckets to keep water from splashing all over the car.
A battery powered bubbler and 50w thermometer was in each bucket, attached to a 400W power Inverter in the car. Every 2 hours we checked temperature, and had zero issues.
Upon setting up new tank, we used NutriSea water entirely, with NEW sand. Reused live rock and reused the old biomedia, while keeping BioSpira and Prime on hand.
It is day 5 since the move, and I have zero ammonia, 5ppm Nitrate, while anemones and fish are looking healthy as ever! Even the emerald crab, hermit crab, and nassarius snail survived the haul.

good job!

Larry L

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats, for me fish moves are one of the most stressful things... Always good to hear when things go great!

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Must have been stressful, but it sounds like you really planned well.
One thing I will say though, this thread needs pics!

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 31 29.5%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 28 26.7%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 22.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 22 21.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back