Successful Light, Alk and Nutrient Ratios

Select the fields that best describe your zone of highest success.

• Total voters

Maximitsurugi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DO NOT VOTE UNLESS YOU HAVE BEEN REEFING FOR OVER A YEAR!

This is gonna be a heck of a poll but it should help both seasoned and newb reefers, all in one place.

Reefing is the game of keeping a balance between adequate Par, mixed with a relatively stable Alk range and acceptable levels of N and P.

Peak par range refers to Acropora. If you don't grow Acros, use the range of your highest coral, not highest point on rockwork.

I'll take suggestions on editing fields.

Gurus welcome @jda @Charlie’s Frags @SawCJack00 @revhtree @Randy Holmes-Farley @Dana Riddle @randyBRS @pmiggy and others too long to type. Lol

Last edited:

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
One problem with the poll - is that you can't tell if someone that has a 400 PAR, has an alkalinity of 7 or 12, etc. I do not believe that the way the poll is worded in the end will give a result suggesting that one should take the 'alkalinity and Po4, etc etc' with the most popular answers and use those for their tank. Because at an Alkalinity for example of 10, the other paremeters might not give the 'highest success'

IMHO, the lower (towards 7-8) the alkalinity, the more tolerant all corals are of higher PAR (and I like higher PAR/not so much blue). Additionally, the higher the flow, the more tolerant corals are of higher light. I tend not to test PO4 or Nitrate (at all) - unless there is a visible problem/change. I do not think there is a 'perfect' range - within the numbers you're choosing for the poll - The key to Alkalinity NO3 and PO4 to me is 'stability'. I have seen lots of tanks with low NO3 and PO4 - doing well. I have seen lots of tanks crash when GFO was added and PO4 dropped suddenly, etc.

OP
OP
Maximitsurugi

Maximitsurugi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One problem with the poll - is that you can't tell if someone that has a 400 PAR, has an alkalinity of 7 or 12, etc. I do not believe that the way the poll is worded in the end will give a result suggesting that one should take the 'alkalinity and Po4, etc etc' with the most popular answers and use those for their tank. Because at an Alkalinity for example of 10, the other paremeters might not give the 'highest success'

IMHO, the lower (towards 7-8) the alkalinity, the more tolerant all corals are of higher PAR (and I like higher PAR/not so much blue). Additionally, the higher the flow, the more tolerant corals are of higher light. I tend not to test PO4 or Nitrate (at all) - unless there is a visible problem/change. I do not think there is a 'perfect' range - within the numbers you're choosing for the poll - The key to Alkalinity NO3 and PO4 to me is 'stability'. I have seen lots of tanks with low NO3 and PO4 - doing well. I have seen lots of tanks crash when GFO was added and PO4 dropped suddenly, etc.

Problem is the poll format. I don't think I can do much about that, however, what I did just now was to click on the specific number of votes and identify a reefer then looked to see if the name appears in another field.eg.

You chose Alk 8, P.06-.08, N 6-10, Led only, Peak 400 and above, Peak Hours 6-8,, Don't think I see a measurement of your Total Photo Period.

As we say, choose a reefer you are akin to and try to emulate them. Based in what you've posted, I'm gonna look at your tank and might ask you for some advice.

Thanks for voting @MnFish1 If you come up with any other suggestions or thoughts let me know.

I'd expect, and that's just me, that the highest scores will be skewed toward one point or the other.

Last edited:

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DO NOT VOTE UNLESS YOU HAVE BEEN REEFING FOR OVER A YEAR!

This is gonna be a heck of a poll but it should help both seasoned and newb reefers, all in one place.

Reefing is the game of keeping a balance between adequate Par, mixed with a relatively stable Alk range and acceptable levels of N and P.

Peak par range refers to Acropora. If you don't grow Acros, use the range of your highest coral, not highest point on rockwork.

I'll take suggestions on editing fields.

Gurus welcome @jda @Charlie’s Frags @SawCJack00 @revhtree and others too long to type. Lol
Very interesting pol. Always wondered where other Reefers found their aquarium sweets spots? Stating ideal numbers and maintaining them are 2 different things. Looking forward to seeing the pol’s results.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Maximitsurugi

Maximitsurugi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very interesting pol. Always wondered where other Reefers found their aquarium sweets spots? Stating idea numbers and maintaining them are 2 different things. Looking forward to seeing the pol’s results.

If you find some reefer on R2R whose tank you like then maybe their stats (range) will end up here.

OP
OP
Maximitsurugi

Maximitsurugi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People are voting but please feel free to comment. We all know that there are variables but there is not test rubric for things like trace elements and aminos however if you feel that something is indeed significant, let is know.

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Agree. Very flawed poll. Success depends on combination of parameters and type of systems you are trying to keep.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This a very good point, and there are many problems with this survey, IF we were attempting a serious investigation.

What we are doing here is gathering undefined and unvalidated data. The results will be fun to discuss.

OP
OP
Maximitsurugi

Maximitsurugi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree. Very flawed poll. Success depends on combination of parameters and type of systems you are trying to keep.

This a very good point, and there are many problems with this survey, IF we were attempting a serious investigation.

What we are doing here is gathering undefined and unvalidated data. The results will be fun to discuss.

How would you word it? It might be flawed but the poll is limited to the design of the R2R poll.

As was stated, the poll is general. It's purpose is to see where the generalized group keeps their params. We hear everyday that the range for Alk is 7-12dkh so we should pick one. What if we knew where most persons find success with the lighting we use? Or the nutrients we keep? Aren't those the first things we ask of someone who is having issues?

Yes the poll isn't perfect and very flawed but the persons who have answered so far have allowed me to have an idea of how they keep their tanks. Names are attached to each vote and their selections can be tracked.

If you have a good fix then suggest it. It'd be appreciated.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How would you word it? It might be flawed but the poll is limited to the design of the R2R poll.

As was stated, the poll is general. It's purpose is to see where the generalized group keeps their params. We hear everyday that the range for Alk is 7-12dkh so we should pick one. What if we knew where most persons find success with the lighting we use? Or the nutrients we keep? Aren't those the first things we ask of someone who is having issues?

Yes the poll isn't perfect and very flawed but the persons who have answered so far have allowed me to have an idea of how they keep their tanks. Names are attached to each vote and their selections can be tracked.

Kudos to you for making the effort to collect information and start an interesting conversation with It. As I suggested, it will be fun to exchange ideas on this topic.

Dan

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So a more interesting discussion and valid discussion would be to have a picture of the successful tank, setup, and parameters. Then you could look across successful tanks and look for commonalities.

OP
OP
Maximitsurugi

Maximitsurugi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So a more interesting discussion and valid discussion would be to have a picture of the successful tank, setup, and parameters. Then you could look across successful tanks and look for commonalities.

I'd love to have asked for tank pics but it felt like asking too much. Lol.

WELL... POST YOUR TANK PICS GUYS. It'll be fun to match your poll choices with a face... I mean, tank.

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd love to have asked for tank pics but it felt like asking too much. Lol.

WELL... POST YOUR TANK PICS GUYS. It'll be fun to match your poll choices with a face... I mean, tank.

Unfortunately, I wouldn’t consider my current tank successful yet. My old tank was...

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I'd appreciate seeing your best reef tank and the params you kept. I'm sure others would too.

I think this was the last full tank picture I had of the tank before my upgrade.

20201027_193734.jpg

Temp: 80
Salinity: 1.023
pH: 7.9ish
Alk: 8dKHish
Ca: 420ish
Mag: 1400ish
NO3: 25ppm
PO4: 0.9ppm

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salinity should also be a parameter, and Mg.

It would also be nice to have folks specify minimum and maximum Alk, PO4, NO3.

Nice idea!

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

The poll is flawed - excactly because of what you said - the way R2R works their polls. The other thing is that you're being a little too broad - if you wanted to do it this way - I would separate Fish only, Soft corals, LPS and SPS into separate polls (at least that would be a start). But - like I said originally, the problem is not 'you' - but the limits of the system.

OP
OP
Maximitsurugi

Maximitsurugi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The poll is flawed - excactly because of what you said - the way R2R works their polls. The other thing is that you're being a little too broad - if you wanted to do it this way - I would separate Fish only, Soft corals, LPS and SPS into separate polls (at least that would be a start). But - like I said originally, the problem is not 'you' - but the limits of the system.
Ok cool, I'll try to add a field for Softy, Mixed Reef and Sps dominant. I'm not really interested in fish only as the params aren't as critical. If others want it they can suggest and I'll put it by popular demand.

@ReefSquad Could you add the fields Softie, Mixed Reef and Sps dominant please? I don't seem to be able to edit the poll anymore. Thanks.

Last edited:

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ok cool, I'll try to add a field for Softy, Mixed Reef and Sps dominant. I'm not really interested in fish only as the params aren't as critical. If others want it they can suggest and I'll put it by popular demand.

@ReefSquad Could you add the fields Softie, Mixed Reef and Sps dominant please? I don't seem to be able to edit the poll anymore. Thanks.
By the way - you mentioned that you could tell 'how I voted (I did put the Par in - 400 or more) - but I've done a lot of polls, and didn't ever know how to look at individual results If you can (though it would be time consuming, you could analyze the data a little more by entering it into a spreadsheet etc. It will be interesting to see where the results come out in the end

Acros

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I don't think there is a better way to use the R2R poll feature. You could create a google forms or qualtrics survey and share it here. That way we can look at correlations between various parameters. I can help with the data analysis part if someone can collect all the data. :D

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 12 27.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 36 81.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.5%
Back