Koral King

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Torch experiment here at Koral King. Cuts performed on 15th of nov, have been healing for 4 days now and is Showing signs of taking the graft successfully. Both fragments have shown good signs of health and healing with no tissue recession or melting. Polyps have been performing feeding responses when fed so it is looking good for this one. Graft performed with one purple tip torch and one Rasta (yellow tip) torch. Updates will be posted.
6FCF36FE-B04E-431D-8C8D-5B50387B39AA.jpeg
BC2C6930-AB73-4BB9-9259-4B17F6DE4996.jpeg
C15B2C80-B27E-4571-AAC3-A7F1D4D71F43.jpeg
4A36D1B5-465D-427E-844B-C4FD80F93215.jpeg

OP
OP
Koral King

Koral King

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It won't start growing heads that are half and half so I think l would just place two colors next to eachother and achieve the same side by side look without the risk of loosing both.
Actually, the torch coral grows new head by splitting, so if they fuse then they will split into multiple half and half heads and create a multi-head hybrid colony.
If any new heads sprout out of the flesh on the skeleton, however, then you are correct, as they will only exhibit the color torch they sprouted from. This is much less common and these heads rarely ever make it, so if this specimen lives then we will have a successful half and half colony

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, the torch coral grows new head by splitting, so if they fuse then they will split into multiple half and half heads and create a multi-head hybrid colony.
If any new heads sprout out of the flesh on the skeleton, however, then you are correct, as they will only exhibit the color torch they sprouted from. This is much less common and these heads rarely ever make it, so if this specimen lives then we will have a successful half and half colony

But you don't have a single head that is truly grafted. You have two half heads that are glued together.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The skeletons may grow over one another but they will never fuse; which is why it is not going to split in-between. Best of luck, and I really hope that I am wrong.

If it was this simple we would have them saturating the market already.

OP
OP
Koral King

Koral King

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The skeletons may grow over one another but they will never fuse; which is why it is not going to split in-between. Best of luck, and I really hope that I am wrong.

If it was this simple we would have them saturating the market already.
The chance of flesh fusing is low, but it is still a possibility, and our hopes are high! You are right though, it is not simple and many people are unwilling to take the risk. We hope that we can learn from this in the future too! Trying to document all of our experiments to share with our fellow reefers and motivate others to follow.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm... I find this interesting.

The OP is calling this a "graft". In my mind, that means that the two torches of different colors have been split, and the two halves placed together.

If it is a true graft, then I come to understand this to mean the two halves have knitted together and became one. Glued together is not a graft in my mind.

To end up with a true multi-colored torch, wouldn't this have to be done by editing DNA?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back