Successfully Hypoed my 220 display.......so I thought.......

OP
OP
Larry Schwenk

Larry Schwenk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update - I brought tank up to full therapeutic level Friday morning, then tested Sunday night and readjusted copper back up to .5ppm. Fish are all active and eating well after 4 days. No sign of anything on any of the fish. I have had the typical ammonia spikes and have added 48oz of Smart Start to knock it down. I will commence the bi-weekly water changes tomorrow / then again this weekend.

OP
OP
Larry Schwenk

Larry Schwenk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tank 8-17.JPG
Update: Un-flipping believable........went through 30 days cupramine. Than about 10 water changes before doing prazi for 2 weeks. Probably did 10 water changes controlling ammonia throughout cupramine treatment. Everything looked better than it ever had. Last 2 weeks been using cuprisorb and a carbon pad to give the water a final clean (not to mention 3 additional water changes in these 2 weeks.) Went to feed last night and the Achilles is covered in ich!!! My rock is at 8 weeks fallow next week in a separate tank. I added cupramine last night. The fish had less spots and was still with us this morning. None of the other fish have any signs. All I can figure is I didn't maintain the cupramine level high enough for the 30 days.......I thought I had but it is the only thing I can figure.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All I can figure is I didn't maintain the cupramine level high enough for the 30 days.......I thought I had but it is the only thing I can figure.

There are a few strains of ich which take longer than 30 days for all the free swimmers to be released from their encysted tomonts.

Also, were you checking the copper level on a regular basis to ensure a therapeutic range (0.35-0.5 mg/L) was being maintained at all times?

OP
OP
Larry Schwenk

Larry Schwenk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was checking copper weekly and adjusting as needed. I don't think I ever had a reading below .35mg/L. If 30 days didn't do it how long should I go? I don't think I had ever read or heard much anything beyond the 30 day mark.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was checking copper weekly and adjusting as needed. I don't think I ever had a reading below .35mg/L. If 30 days didn't do it how long should I go? I don't think I had ever read or heard much anything beyond the 30 day mark.
30 days has been incredibly effective if done correctly. Now, I'm finding it more effective to treat for 14 days and transfer to a new tank.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If it hovered too close to 0.35 and dipped slightly in-between weekly tests, that could allow some of the theronts to survive and continue the parasite's life cycle. Holding the line at 0.5 mg/L (testing daily) greatly increases the odds of a successful treatment.

OP
OP
Larry Schwenk

Larry Schwenk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am at full copper and getting works. I don't think it's ich. Achilles died overnight. Started getting large white patches yesterday like something was eating him and this morning dead. My angel now has a blotch and is not eating. Any thoughts.

image.jpg

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Larry Schwenk

Larry Schwenk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update......Observed fish Saturday night for over an hr. Emperor was flashing and spots were not getting worse. I had the erythromycin ready to go but the spots on the Achilles and Emperor flashing kept giving me nagging thoughts of ich. I went with my gut....I did a 30% water change and brought cupramine back up to 5mg/l. By Wednesday my angel was eating again and blotches were almost gone. Last night the porcupine puffer started eating again. I am checking copper daily now and doing 2 water changes per week. Seems like de ja vo.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 102 75.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back