Sudden Change in Nem - Pls Help

damselindistress

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all - I've had a lovely BTA in my tank approximately 8 months and up until a couple of weeks ago he was growing well and flourishing greatly. He had been in his current "spot" since January and seemed content because he was, as my husband liked to say, loud and proud all sprawled out on his rock all day. I had to move nearby corals a few times because the nem kept manspreading. Suddenly about ten days ago I noticed he looked smaller than usual. He still accepted food (raw table shrimp, krill) and his 2 little sexy shrimp were still stuck to him like a kardashian to an nba player. I have a pair of clowns but they have never shown any real interest in the nem.

Five days ago the nem started walking all over the live rock and trying out new spots but never settled permanently. He just seemed discontent for some reason. Two days ago he detached and went for a swim. I found him stuck facedown between the live rock and my lobo coral, with some of his tentacles laying on the lobo - I thought he was a goner because that lobo can eat stuff 3 times bigger than him! I gently fished him out and put him right side up against the back wall of my tank in an area of gentle flow to see if he was going to recover. After several hours he did attach his foot to the back wall of the tank and moved over a bit but he's been in the same spot since yesterday and while he's still attached he looks like wilted lettuce [emoji30]. He does inflate his tentacles somewhat but then goes back to just laying like a wet mop. One sexy shrimp is in it for the long haul, the other one has abandoned ship and hooked up with the frogspawn, which the FS appears to have mixed feelings about [emoji136]. My tank stats are below - I should mention that I've purchased a 60 gallon tank because I quickly saw the 13.5 gallon Fluval Evo was not going to be suitable for him long term. I am moving in a couple months and am waiting to set up the new tank in my new place. This tank was my first reef tank and I've since learned A LOT. I actually brought this nem and my clownfish home when this tank was 3 weeks old - I now know that was asking for failure but at the time was going on what my lfs told me (I know, I know). I've literally carried this nem around on a silk pillow since I've had him because I was determined to meet his needs once I had him home. I'm going to be heartbroken if he kicks up his tentacles [emoji24].

My nitrates are high BUT they were off the charts, I've been dosing nopox for approx a month-ish and they've steadily declined. I overfeed [emoji21] .

Thanks for your time and sorry for the long post.

Salinity 1.023
Calc 458
Alk 10.7
Ph 7.6 (low but stable)
Phos 0
Nitrates 10-20
Magn Don't test magnesium
76 degrees
2 clownfish
1 purple striped dottyback
1 strawberry crab
2 nass
5 cerith
1 sand conch
Pair of sexiest
1 pep shrimp
LPS and softies + 1 green birdsnest
IMG_20180421_215613_811.jpeg
IMG_20180225_201309530.jpeg
IMG_20180609_122628_996.jpeg
IMG_20180613_190124319.jpeg

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm, any other changes other than the start of NOPOX? Not sure if that would cause issues, I have never used it. I will note that anemones are strange and often do things like move for no apparent reason.

#Reefsquad any thoughts?

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah,
BTA's can act nutty.

I'd stop the NoPox and your phos. is too low anyways.

You don't want zero phos. and high nitrates are good as long as your reef is happy.

OP
OP
damselindistress

damselindistress

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah,
BTA's can act nutty.

I'd stop the NoPox and your phos. is too low anyways.

You don't want zero phos. and high nitrates are good as long as your reef is happy.
Appreciate the input - does he look like he's on his way out?

GoVols...small world I'm in Knoxville [emoji4]

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appreciate the input - does he look like he's on his way out?

GoVols...small world I'm in Knoxville [emoji4]
I'd keep an eye out for deterioration in mouth and the foot.

It's color is still good.

I'd leave it alone and not move it.

(lol)
Live in Murfreesboro.
Been an Vols fan since 1977 and been going to Neyland stadium, since 1983... ;Oldman

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Color looks good. Agree on watching the mouth and foot. Who knows, maybe it wants to split. Definitely monitor closely and I would not try to move it unless it is in danger from a pump or something.

Amoo

Professional Thread Derailer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of lighting do you have and do you run carbon? I'm assuming you do have a skimmer?

Last edited:

Amoo

Professional Thread Derailer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm, any other changes other than the start of NOPOX? Not sure if that would cause issues, I have never used it. I will note that anemones are strange and often do things like move for no apparent reason.

#Reefsquad any thoughts?

Often times when people run NoPox (or most dosing similar) it tends to change the clarity of the water. This can lead to an increase in PAR in that area. The other thing NoPox and dosing like it does is obviously limit nutrients. So now you've increased the lighting and limited the nutrients. I think you can see where I'm going here Caveman.

OP
OP
damselindistress

damselindistress

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of lighting do you have and do you run carbon? I'm assuming you do have a skimmer?
I run the Aquatic Life 115 nano skimmer. I am running a cheapy light, a Hipergaro 30w cree led but it's actually not half bad and is way more adjustable than the stock Evo light. I don't run a long light period, had a case of dino when the tank was just a few months old and had to do a 3 day blackout to beat it. I've been light shy since then and only run about a 7 hr light period, however, everything in my tank has adjusted and is thriving. Thanks for any thoughts or suggestions you may have!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back