Sudden death of eight line wrasse

CDavmd

AstroReefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, just looking for some thoughts from the experts. I have had this eight line wrasse for about a month. Healthy, eating, active and flashing at his reflection constantly. He is always out and about and the last fish to bed down at lights out. I came home from work and no sign of him which is odd.

This morning he was active, feeding, and his usual self. I checked my Nest cam and found the moment. He was flashing to his reflection in a mirror as usual, active and swimming normally. I watched him doing this until 2:26:52pm- He suddenly swims toward the center of the tank and then darts back to the other side and must have gone in the rocks because he is obstructed from view. I did note that perhaps his head looked pale when he swam towards the middle of the tank, but I can't be sure if this was a lighting effect.

At 2:30:45pm- he suddenly does that lightning erratic swim to the surface, jerking, then suddenly floats motionless to the bottom :(:confused:

I have not found his body yet but clearly he suddenly died....I am stumped...what would cause such a sudden death in a wrasse in its terminal phase of becoming a male. Did he have a stroke or heart attack?? Any thoughts?

Here is a video 15 minutes worth showing him normal then the two time points i mention above. You'll see him mainly on the left near the glass were there is a mirror. He tends to flash at himself in this area.

Caption This Contest OFFICIAL VOTING POLL! (make a post in this thread and you could win a prize too)

• "What do you mean?! I am smiling!

• "Did she really just rejoin the ReefAholics Anonymous group...AGAIN?!"

• "Take a look at the new Sexy Shrimp!"

• "I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clownfish? I amuse you?"

• "Looks like your living room is going through the ugly stage"

• "Aghhh! Go put on your makeup before feeding me, please!"

• "You try eating sand and not get constipated!"

• "Everyone, hide! The landlord is coming!"

• "He touched the butt!"

• "They forgot to shut off the RO line and left for work...AGAIN"

• "Get off my sand!"

• "What do you mean I can't say that on a family friendly forum?"

• "My face looking over my bank statement after a reef show..."

• "Kids, you're grounded! Get back in my mouth!"

• "When you see a human with a bucket and know somethings is about to go down."

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back