Sugegestions please :)

DragonNamedPuff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm brand new to the hobby, I have a 55 gallon tank with a 30 gallon sump that I bought from a friend. Running an AquaIllumination Hydra LED and a VorTech MP10w.

So I would like a bunch of suggestions for what to stock my tank with!? Inverts, fish, and coral? You could say I have a blank canvas! I would like it to be a reef tank preferably all from the same region. For example all from the Caribbean. Or any other ideas are welcome! Please spam this thread with tons of ideas :)

5fb493e2494db4a41bc58cd1c2482410.jpg

Vahanyos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't recommend any Tangs - as tempting as it is, they can become a headache. I have a 55 as well and i regretted adding my yellow tang. It harassed any new comer and they'll just be too big for your tank... it literally claimed my whole tank lol.

Welcome! And once your tank is cycled fully and ready to be stocked, just experiment! :)

Axifuga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are looking for a sort of biotope tank from one region, an Australian reef would probably allow the most coral selections

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being new, Id suggest being cheap. Try corals that interest you, and the challenge of getting them to grow will take up PLENTY of your time. The best beginner corals? Cheap corals.
For fish, look at hardy fish who do a job, and create a community within the biosphere. One that eats algaes, one that eats bugs, one that makes you laugh and one that's just pretty.

Eventually(or already), you'll find the niche (challenge) you prefer.

Avoid difficult species, unless you are a mad man like myself, mainly because there truly is a difference between a 6 mo old tank and a 2 year old tank.

one quick story. I have always loved zoas. Guess what. My SPS are doing really nice.:rolleyes:

Tanks evolve, just like we do.

Back