Suggestion for refugium lighting

cbellm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking to get suggestions for a refugium light. The tank is a 120 display and 145 in total. The fuge is a 14″ x 15.5″ space in an under tank sump.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

OP
OP
cbellm

cbellm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those that were using the Amazon light how are you mounting it and how far off the water? I was looking the Kessle H80 but after a bit of reading it sounds like it may be underpowered.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
those that were using the Amazon light how are you mounting it and how far off the water? I was looking the Kessle H80 but after a bit of reading it sounds like it may be underpowered.
My flrefugium is half of a regular 29g glass aquarium. I put egg crate louver for a lid on it and just lay the light on that. Mine is probably about 3 inches or so from the water. I wanted to mount mine differently but I unfortunately don't have enough room in my stand to do it any other way.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
For the last 20 years or so I've been using cheap clamp-on fixtures and a bulbs off the shelf from Lowes.
Since led spot bulbs are more affordable I use one in the 75 watt range with a 5k-6k color temperature.

OP
OP
cbellm

cbellm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for your suggestions. Anyone out there have one of the highend options, if so, what are your preseved benifits?

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Kessil H160 user here and extremely happy with it. What are your goals with the fuge? If you have a light bioload and don't need heavy export, then you can get away with almost any grow style light, but if you're aiming for consistent, heavy export, then I would look at a light that's completely designed for that purpose. I have a 90g with a 35g sump, but the total system is around 100g give or take. The Kessil isn't cheap, but I can fine tune the intensity and if need be fine tune the spectrum. I'm a firm believer in heavy in, heavy out and the Kessil is a big part of that process for me. I usually have to remove 2/3 of my chaeto every couple weeks or it grows out of the water.

OP
OP
cbellm

cbellm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I am still looking. I have read about the options above and the 160 seems like a beast and a great option but I have heard of some issues with longevity. I amazon options seem apatizing but I have used the "cheap options" in the past and have had horrible growth from my refugium. Have others tried out the Kessil 160? What about the H80? Again I have a 14″ x 15.5″ space. Does anyone have a similar area and can I see some resaults?

1guydude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same as mfinn. Clamp on reptile reflecotor style. Its a fuge. U can grow with a 40w flouresent bulb. Lol. I dont like the red lights. How do you people look at that or work under their with that light on? Lol
D

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So, I am still looking. I have read about the options above and the 160 seems like a beast and a great option but I have heard of some issues with longevity. I amazon options seem apatizing but I have used the "cheap options" in the past and have had horrible growth from my refugium. Have others tried out the Kessil 160? What about the H80? Again I have a 14″ x 15.5″ space. Does anyone have a similar area and can I see some resaults?
The H160 is the perfect light for that size fuge. The key with longevity is maintenance, which applies to all equipment that we keep near saltwater. Keep it clean and use compressed air monthly. I've splashed water on my 160 and simply opened it up and used compressed air to clean it off. Made sure everything was dry and plugged it in, it's still going strong. The electronics are sealed, so the water didn't get to the most important parts of the light. H80 is good for nano sized fuges and would be undersized for the dimensions you listed. Look for a used H160 if you want to save a little money. I had an Amazon grow light, but it just doesn't compare to the H160, but this is just my experience.

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Luxbird Waterproof Aquarium Refugium Light Bulb, LED Aquarium Plant Grow Light for Macroalgae and Indoor Plants E26 Non Dimmable

dollar for dollar the best reefing purchase I have made. I can’t understand why anyone would pay more than a $100 for a light without additional coverage. It doubles in size weekly or more. I don’t see the value in spending more on a kessil, I would rather light my money on fire myself

OP
OP
cbellm

cbellm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neonrabbit can I see your setup, how have you mounted it? How much light spillover do you have?

Philly Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was using that luxbird but when I saw a tunze eco light on R2R marketplace, I had to bought it.
IMG_20210217_020750037.jpg

My sump is 20g long tank. So that light is around 12"

Philly Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That pic was taken feb 16.
11 days.
This is today.
Its not the same angle. But its much more full now.
IMG_20210227_185334577.jpg

Krully

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have had good success with the Tunze too even though it's not really powerful it works and it's submersible so you can pretty much have it sit on the chaeto, works for me in a Reefer 350.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 36.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 36 30.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back