Suggestions on fish/Inverts

JoeJoe822

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a JBJ 28 gallon mixed reef. Whats good opinions on the biggest fish/Inverts etc, for this tank. Pictures would help Alot. TIA!
I currently have two clowns, and two purple dottybacks.

Peach02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could keep a yellow tang in there for a little and you could keep a coral beauty I’m not sure about compatibility though

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s why I said yellow tang for a little and I’ve read you can keep a coral beauty in a 30 gal (are you talking full tank or just the display section?)
I’m taking about the display. Sumps add water volume but doesn’t mean this accounts for fishes recommended tank size

Peach02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m taking about the display. Sumps add water volume but doesn’t mean this accounts for fishes recommended tank size
Okay so what I was saying was the tang could be in there before it outgrew it and the coral beauty I’ve heard can be kept in smaller tanks but there is a ton of conflicting information on tank sizes

Jvesche20

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so what I was saying was the tang could be in there before it outgrew it and the coral beauty I’ve heard can be kept in smaller tanks but there is a ton of conflicting information on tank sizes
If I got a fish I would not want to get a fish that was going to outgrow my tank. I get too attached to my fish and wouldn't want to get rid of them

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only reason I would see someone do that is if they have another tank to add it too. Other than that’s it’s just a waste of money and time.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a JBJ 28 gallon mixed reef. Whats good opinions on the biggest fish/Inverts etc, for this tank. Pictures would help Alot. TIA!
I currently have two clowns, and two purple dottybacks.

I wouldn't add ANY fish to that tank with 2 clowns and 2 dottybacks in there. You have a tank full of jerks.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s why I said yellow tang for a little and I’ve read you can keep a coral beauty in a 30 gal (are you talking full tank or just the display section?)

You are getting your info from the wrong places. And the "You can keep this fish in this tank for a while" is not smart thinking. It's not as simple as just pulling the fish out and handing it over to your LFS. Trapping and catching fish is NOT an exact science and each transfer is very stressful on the fish. A 30 gallon tank is essentially a holding tank/quarantine tank for (ie a few months at most) for ANY Tang. Beyond that and the chances of success diminish rapidly. As for the Dwarf Angel, that is incorrect as well. Dwarf Angels are best suited for tanks that are 4 foot long or more. Take it from a guy who tried a Flame Angel in a 36 gallon bowfront (30 inch long tank) and had it blow up in his face. Fish was a complete butthead. If he had a 3 foot long tank I might feel comfortable recommending a Cherubfish (aka Pygmy Angel) but that's as close as I would get to an Angel in his tank. It's always best practice to buy a fish that can do well at it's max size in the tank that you have.

Oh and for Yellow Tangs, I wouldn't even go with a 4 foot tank, I would say 5 foot minimum. This coming from a guy who had a 4 inch Yellow Tang take over his entire 90 gallon after just one month.

Jvesche20

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are getting your info from the wrong places. And the "You can keep this fish in this tank for a while" is not smart thinking. It's not as simple as just pulling the fish out and handing it over to your LFS. Trapping and catching fish is NOT an exact science and each transfer is very stressful on the fish. A 30 gallon tank is essentially a holding tank/quarantine tank for (ie a few months at most) for ANY Tang. Beyond that and the chances of success diminish rapidly. As for the Dwarf Angel, that is incorrect as well. Dwarf Angels are best suited for tanks that are 4 foot long or more. Take it from a guy who tried a Flame Angel in a 36 gallon bowfront (30 inch long tank) and had it blow up in his face. Fish was a complete butthead. If he had a 3 foot long tank I might feel comfortable recommending a Cherubfish (aka Pygmy Angel) but that's as close as I would get to an Angel in his tank. It's always best practice to buy a fish that can do well at it's max size in the tank that you have.

Oh and for Yellow Tangs, I wouldn't even go with a 4 foot tank, I would say 5 foot minimum. This coming from a guy who had a 4 inch Yellow Tang take over his entire 90 gallon after just one month.
Good info! I had a yellow tang in a 6ft tank and it was a bully to my fish and would let them go anywhere so I had to remove the yellow tang

Peach02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I got a fish I would not want to get a fish that was going to outgrow my tank. I get too attached to my fish and wouldn't want to get rid of them
That’s why I said could but I agree I’m the same with you I’m already attached to my snail

Peach02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My bad where would you suggest looking for information?

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 100 75.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%

Back