Suggestions on removing the rim on fishtank

Aquatic_reef_guru

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, I have a 40 breeder glass aquarium that id like to change into a rimless Aquarium. I bought the tank brand new from petco and drilled 3/4 holes in the back for plumbing, Anyone has any experience doing this on that size tank with no problems?

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, I have a 40 breeder glass aquarium that id like to change into a rimless Aquarium. I bought the tank brand new from petco and drilled 3/4 holes in the back for plumbing, Anyone has any experience doing this on that size tank with no problems?

Ya that thing will split right open, aka the trim is what holds the tank together.

BTW Trimmed tanks look terrible with the trim off because the manufacturers know the trim will hide the sloppy silicone.

ReefLab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya that thing will split right open, aka the trim is what holds the tank together.

BTW Trimmed tanks look terrible with the trim off because the manufacturers know the trim will hide the sloppy silicone.
forgot about that aspect as well - the glass isn't finished under the trim and at worst will be very sharp and at best just ugly.

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll just echo what the others are saying, don’t even think about it.
Not only is the bracing structurally important, rimmed tanks are also made with thinner glass than their rimless counterparts and removing the rim will make the glass bow and crack if the silicone doesn’t give out first.

TDEcoral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

OP
OP
Aquatic_reef_guru

Aquatic_reef_guru

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for all your suggestions!! However have you all considered eurobracing the structure after the rim is removed? I appreciate all the opinions but I am the type of person that likes to do a clean job, so I’m considering doing a euro brace and adding more silicone on the edges of the glass. I have seen one person on youtube named ( jessmosis ) that has done this before, I haven’t seen any recent material on this but I’d like to know if I add more support will that help reduce the bow affect and possible problems in the future based on what you guys said what (COULD) happen!
890B7593-B049-424D-A20A-C7007BF9950B.jpeg
I took this photo from another thread, but he did say right here you can get away with doing a 40 breeder that way, I want to do the work to make it Safe to hold for about 5 years but I’d like to keep a clean look if possible.

Last edited:

cvrle1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for all your suggestions!! However have you all considered eurobracing the structure after the rim is removed? I appreciate all the opinions but I am the type of person that likes to do a clean job, so I’m considering doing a euro brace and adding more silicone on the edges of the glass. I have seen one person on youtube named ( jessmosis ) that has done this before, I haven’t seen any recent material on this but I’d like to know if I add more support will that help reduce the bow affect and possible problems in the future based on what you guys said what (COULD) happen!
890B7593-B049-424D-A20A-C7007BF9950B.jpeg
I took this photo from another thread, but he did say right here you can get away with doing a 40 breeder that way, I want to do the work to make it Safe to hold for about 5 years but I’d like to keep a clean look if possible.

Eurobracing and just removing plastic brace without replacing it are 2 completely different things. If you remove plastic brace and leave as is, tank will split. If you remove plastic brace and replace it with proper Eurobracing, it will be fine. In your original post, you never mentioned Eurobracing, so assumption was that you just want to remove plastic brace and call it a day.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back