My tank was framed! Do you have a rimmed or rimless aquarium?

Do you have a rimmed or rimless aquarium?

• My tank has a frame/rim.

Votes: 183 34.3%
  • My tank is rimless.

Votes: 224 41.9%
  • I have both rimmed and rimless tanks.

Votes: 115 21.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 2.2%

• Total voters

hexcolor reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have rimmed/brace tanks. I used to buy all rimless but they all cracked.
Now I just use black silicone on all my rimmed tank seams and create that innovative marine look. Very nice!!!

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is from Planet Aquarium. Has a bottom frame, doesn't have a top frame. Seemed kinda odd to me when I received it, but it doesn't bother me. Been in service for nearly a decade now, no problems.

FTS-090823.jpg

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got one of those rimless Cade ones from Australia. Seems to be build like a tank! ( ha ha! )

Derrick0580

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My current dt is my very first rimless and will be my last. In general it is just a pain to keep clean. Scraping the inside causes splashes and drip down the outside which I don’t like getting under the outter piece of my flipper max edge. Then let’s not even talk about the ****** fish that splash constantly. My glass is usually clean for about 10 minutes whenever I decide to clean it.

TurboTang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like rimmed tanks also. I prefer not seeing the water line or cleaning it. And not all rimmed tanks are molded plastic. I found an aquarium with aluminum trim and removable center braces. Much nicer look than plastic

Attachments

• IMG_20230928_151128347_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230928_151128347_HDR.jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 53

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I like rimmed tanks also. I prefer not seeing the water line or cleaning it. And not all rimmed tanks are molded plastic. I found an aquarium with aluminum trim and removable center braces. Much nicer look than plastic

Pretty sure these removable center braces can only be removed when the tank is empty.

shcrimps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have both and like them for different reasons
my 65 is rimless and the goal was focus on livestock so make equipment less visible and such, simple tank simple setup i think is a good time for rimless
other applications such as AIO and more traditional tanks/ones to match the house i prefer rimmed

TurboTang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty sure these removable center braces can only be removed when the tank is empty.
Yes you are correct - they made it very clear in bold caps on the build sheet :)
But it's a nice feature when building the aquascape

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me a rimmed tank is a plastic trim lol.. I think the question is a little vague honestly.. I don’t consider my tank rimmed at all! Its euro braced.
even that part is a bit ambiguous. some tanks have a bottom frame that is imperative to it securely holding water and then some just use plastic trim to cover the euro-brace seams and waterline.

knockout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both my tanks are rimless, and although I enjoy the look of them, I don't enjoy cleaning the outside glass every 5 minutes when a fish decides to splash, it is a hassle, and any minor disturbance inside the tank is a wipe the outside job, other than that, I love it.

1979fishgeek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m running three tanks at the moment, Fluval Evo (rimless) AquaOne 2ft cube (rimless) and a 6x2x2ft which is fully euro braced.

I love the clean look of the rimless tanks and how easy equipment fits on it. However, I prefer a braced tank as it just feels safer and the water don’t splash out when I clean glass, or use strong pulsing flow and when hungry fish loose patience and tail whip the water it don’t flow down the glass. Plus the fish jumpers nearly always jump out at the edges/sides and at least with bracing it makes it little harder to find those gaps to get through.

Stealthreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the 90s I would buy tanks from petco and then take the plastic frames off them and people went crazy. I made a pretty decent living selling tanks like that for a while. The moment it became the normal way for tanks to be I stopped liking it and obviously shook my fist furiously at manufacturers for stealing my business out from under me.
Ended up working at oceanic for a few years after that so I made my peace, for now.
I have a few rimless AIO tanks but most of my stuff is old school tanks from craigslist. I will not have a big tank without eurobracing ever again. Love it.
I pulled the frame off a 40 tall and the front glass blew off and destroyed my couch. I had completely forgotten about that. Ohh my wild fish guy days.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 142 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.4%
Back