My tank was framed! Do you have a rimmed or rimless aquarium?

Do you have a rimmed or rimless aquarium?

• My tank has a frame/rim.

Votes: 183 34.3%
  • My tank is rimless.

Votes: 224 41.9%
  • I have both rimmed and rimless tanks.

Votes: 115 21.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 2.2%

• Total voters

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My tank was framed! Do you have a rimmed or rimless aquarium?

Rimless tanks seem to get all the press, but there are a lot of tanks sold with frames. There was a time when all tanks had frames and there was not a choice between rimmed and rimless. When rimless tanks were introduced they were reserved for the aquarist that was willing to spend top dollar. Now it seems like the rimless tanks are commonplace and the framed tanks are the commodity tanks. Are rimless tanks really the norm now or rather just normal from the marketing perspective. While some of us have a mix of both, please let us know which type of tank you have and any thoughts relating to the frame, or the lack thereof, on your tank. Do you have a rimmed or rimless aquarium?

Renton777_ROTM.jpeg

Photo by @Renton777

This QOTD is sponsored by: www.tckcorals.com

TCK_logo.png

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a standard 180g framed tank and two redsea rimless tanks. I prefer the look of rimless tanks but on my next build (if I ever decide to actually start it) I'll be going braced and framed. I want an 8ft tank and would never go that large rimless, if that is even possible.
Some people do not like the visible water line on rimless but I don't mind it. I like being able to ae the surface agitation.
So for me smaller tanks rimless, larger tanks rimmed.

Last edited:

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a tradition rimmed tank, a euro braced tank, and a small nano that is rimless and not braced.
I prefer the looks of a rimless tank but don’t like the added stress on the seams. If I were to get a larger new tank now I’d probably just go with eurobraced. It adds some extra support without having the horrible looking black plastic rim.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What the heck is other? Either your tank has a rim or it doesn’t! :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:
I have other lol.. euro brace isn’t rimmed or rimless haha! To me a a tank with a rim is a plastic brace such as aquaeon or petco specials. Custom tanks are rimless or euro.

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have other lol.. euro brace isn’t rimmed or rimless haha! To me a a tank with a rim is a plastic brace such as aquaeon or petco specials. Custom tanks are rimless or euro.
Oh I see. It’s a mix of both lol. I wasn’t thinking of them.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I have proper euro-braced tank and rimless sump - both made of glass.

1695924069698.png

1695924184328.png

Last edited:

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0

So Euro is not rimmed? Hmmm

Internally rimmed? LOL

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So Euro is not rimmed? Hmmm

Internally rimmed? LOL
To me a rimmed tank is a plastic trim lol.. I think the question is a little vague honestly.. I don’t consider my tank rimmed at all! Its euro braced.

shwareefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
An aquarium brand. Looking at their current offerings they seem to have gone to an integrated Lid which looks thicker. Back in the day their rimmed tanks had Aluminum/titanium trims that were less than 3/4".

https://www.juwel-aquarium.de/en/aquariums/rio-line-led/rio-450-led#aquarium-line

aha - not really a fan but if one doesnt like the water line - I get it.

After this many years in the hobby, I believe custom is the only way to go to get exactly what one needs....but I understand the need/market for these pre-fabs.

PotatoPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think my wallet is rather grateful that I prefer the look of rimmed tanks…

I find the trim creates a nice beginning and end to the tank, with my sand banked up and away from the edge so it’s typically below the trim line at the perimeter, and the water line right below the trim line at the top.

This is obviously a preference that’s highly subjective and varies considerably.

Rusty_L_Shackleford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I'm not a fan of the trend toward rimless tanks and hanging lights. I have a 32g biocube and a 130dd red sea and both have the full hoods intact. I like enclosed hoods and canopies. The red sea has a Steve's LED retrofit I stuffed in it, and I'm going to add a couple more led strip into the biocube hood to supplement the existing LEDs.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 30 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 111 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back