My tank was framed! Do you have a rimmed or rimless aquarium?

Do you have a rimmed or rimless aquarium?

• My tank has a frame/rim.

Votes: 183 34.3%
  • My tank is rimless.

Votes: 224 41.9%
  • I have both rimmed and rimless tanks.

Votes: 115 21.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 2.2%

• Total voters

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
kuwtk-keeping-up-with-the-kardashians.gif

I'm sorry, what was the question ❓

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All my tanks are small, 40g. cubes so rimless. When I do go bigger it will be euro braced but rimless. the bottom can have a rim, but probably euro braced also. I am just being snobby, but rimmed tanks feel dated. UNLESS it is the aforementioned stainless vintage. THAT! is awesome! Would love to do a fresh water planted or mangrove...

TWYOUNG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently bought my first new tank in 35 years and was attracted to the rimless look. I'm definitely not thrilled with how easily water spills over the edge when doing maintenance though, especially glass cleaning. Euro bracing does seem sturdier as well.

Gill the 3rd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have both a rimmed 180 gal and a rimless 300 gallon. The rimless is better aesthetically, but the rimmed aquarium is better functionally. I don't have to worry about water splashing over the edge and dripping down the front of the aquarium. To me a euro braced aquarium is the perfect compromise between the the two.

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine's a 180g rimmed from Aqueon. I'll take the lifetime warranty over a RedSea rimless of the same size that get's 2 year warranty.

The main reason I went with a trimmed tank, I hate seeing the water line.

There's nothing that irritates me more than someone who spends the extra money to get a rimless tank, and then puts a canopy on it that covers the water line, *cough* Ryan from BRS *cough*

jerses

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eurobraced is where i am at now. Helps keep the splashing in the tank when the flow is turned up high too!

Bruttall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your frags seem quite small for a 30 yr old tank.... :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:
The tank is 30 years old, My salt adventure started Feb 1, 2023 with a 75g that in April got migrated into this beauty, after I re-homed over 45 African Cichlids. Think pics of the tank before the conversion are in my build thread, I had a custom built by me background in this when it was Freshwater complete with Buttress Trees that camo'd the stand pipe overflows.

LPS Bum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a standard 180g framed tank and two redsea rimless tanks. I prefer the look of rimless tanks but on my next build (if I ever decide to actually start it) I'll be going braced and framed. I want an 8ft tank and would never go that large rimless, if that is even possible.
Some people do not like the visible water line on rimless but I don't mind it. I like being able to ae the surface agitation.
So for me smaller tanks rimless, larger tanks rimmed.
I have the same type of set up. 8 foot rimmed 240 FOWLR, and a rimless RedSea G2 625.

I’d never trust an 8 foot long rimless tank, just as you said.

Stealthreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this considered rimless? My rimless Red Sea 200XL front glass pane popped off Tuesday and this is my quick-thinking replacement. Still rimless right?

PXL_20230927_212550680.jpg
As a guy who has had probably a dozen tanks blow up this is a far better solution than the brute trashcan and 5 gallon buckets always set up.

Necrodaemus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a small 25g lagoon that is rimless and setting up a rimmed/braced 90g. While I like the look of rimless, I love the added structural integrity of a framed tank. The 90g Seapora tank I’m setting up also has black silicone in the Sean’s and with the stand I built and painted black, it really brings it all together and looks nice.
4BDB24F9-045C-4DAE-8063-1D2EB5C6BA67.jpeg

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both of my DT are rimmed.

The 135 Reef tank is built by Aquarium Masters and is rimmed and fully braced.

The 180g is from Oceanic and is rimmed and Euro-Braced.

The 135 has a 12 inch wide glass panel in the center as well as 2 small glass panels in the front corners.

The 180g has 2, 2 inch wide plastic bracing pieces dividing the tank into 3rds.

One thing I haven't seen ANYONE post yet is how nice it is to have a spot to place things on while working on the tank. I typically keep a small cup there for defrosting frozen food and maybe a pipette or other small items that may get lost in the stand, or stolen by cats and lost somewhere else.. lol

Brucealmighty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a cleair fish tank :face-with-hand-over-mouth: I'll wait for the crickets to die down, yes I spelled it correctly, I enclose a picture, I can speel honest.

It's Chinese now I will wait for that last bit of silence, it's been a beauty of a tank no bad comments ( watch it fall apart now I have said this ) it's been a faithful family member for 10 years and if I remember rightly comes out of warranty now ( I will have to research that to be sure )

It's braced with glass old school style at the top and has a plastic laminated wood (maybe chipboard) facia frame it had a lid with lights in it but it's sold as a tropical tank with a sump.

I don't like to see the water line and so the almost doubled price for the rimless tank and still needed equipment to run the thing finalized the deal and I went braced and framed around the glass

I am not sure how much the frame assists in this tanks strength but not having to clean as close to the seals with razor blades is definitely a plus for me all in all nice tank well built and after seeing so many nightmare stories of rimless blow outs I'm sticking with this option for any future tank I may get.

I custom built the hood from anodised aluminium frame and plastic and used foamex board covered externally with carbon fibre vynil to try match the bottom cupboards as best as possible forgiveness for the tanks glass today I have spent the weekend smashing and unsmashing my car into pieces so it's going to get extra next weekend (another plus frame hides the algae on the seals because there is a good covering on the missed maintenance schedule)

Happy reefing !

IMG_20231002_203248.jpg

IMG_20231002_203121.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.2%
Back