• Other

Votes: 13 48.1%

• Total voters

RickG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 75 gallon tank and really want to upgrade my return. Im looking to spend at most $350. Top priority is getting something that is quiet! I have a Jebao and tbh it drives me nuts. Let me know what you guys think!

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eheim, Sicce, Mag, Quiet One, Tunze all make excellent pumps for return. All are very quiet. Eheim, Sicce and Quiet One probably offer the most silent return pumps out there. For the $ spent, Quiet One is far and away the best option....3 year warranty too. If money is no object then consider a German Eheim or Italian Sicce.

If you can tell us what your plumbing is like and what your target flow rate is we can make some specific suggestions....but you might not need anything more than a Quiet One 2200 which runs <$60 and <40 watts. They really are dead silent too....I have a 2200 and 4000.

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I have had amazing success with the current eflux 3100
Gph dc controlled pump. This pump is dead quiet and most
Of the time you can’t even hear that it is on. In addition it’s flow rate is amazing for the price which is 279.00 and also has a three year warranty. The pump also has the dc controller for you to optimize your flow rate as well. It can also be linked to a Bluetooth controller, so you can control it from your phone.

One of the best features about this product is that Current USA has outstanding customer service. They are very prompt, and are willing to help you no matter what. Of all the pumps I had considered, which I at one point did consider the ones on your poll. I found the current to be a much much better pump, specially for the price.

Sincerely
Sarah

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
In your poll, I can say I've used the Vectra M1 and a VarioS pump and they are both very quiet.
I was very happy with my M1 while I had it.
If you decide against a DC pump and go with a AC pump, then consider a Sicce, Tunze, or Eheim.
I've used all 3 and found them very dependable and reasonably quiet.

OP
OP
RickG

RickG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I probably end up with a DC pump because of the controllability but I’d be open to AC. I will take a look at the Eflux, sicce, eheim. Seem to have good reviews. Anybody have feedback on the cor15/20? Have an apex so it would be nice to have the extra features if I go that route

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the benefits of having an controllable return pump?

rockskimmerflow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fluval SP4 for higher flow option, eheim 1262 for more modrate flow.

Unless youre spending top dollar dont risk your systems reliability on a cheap DC pump. Askoll (fluval) AC pumps are just about as effecient when push comes to shove and way more reliable. Not to mention very quiet.

drtrash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure why fluval is under radar, its one of the mostefficient AC pumps, low power draw, high output quiet pumps on market

Emerson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it doesn't have to be a submersible, and you have the room, I switched to an Iwaki external pump. For a 75 gal, I used the Japanese motor MD-RXT20, for about $220. Been using it for a year, puloed about 40w based my APEX (even though spec is 60w). As an added bonus, heat generated by the pump stays outside from the water

Dragon52

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had AC before, been using a M1 DC since Feb of last yr & love the control I have with it. I'm retired & spend hrs a day sitting within 2ft of my tank & can't hear it at all. Looking to get an S1 for backup because I could use that even with the lower flow rate, M1 actually to strong at even 1/2 speed. The only reason I didn't get an S1 originally was because it wasn't available when I bought the M1.

OP
OP
RickG

RickG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think i am leaning more towards either an M1, Varios or Cor15/20. The AC pumps you guys have mentioned look like good options but i feel like the three that I listed are great pumps and will retain value in case I ever want to sell it. Also, for example a Sicce or Eheim will cost me around $200, for the extra $75 id rather get a cor15 with extra GPH and more features because I have an Apex to go with it. Would like someones input on the Cor! Thanks for everyones input btw, really looked at other options that I wasnt initially considering

rockskimmerflow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think i am leaning more towards either an M1, Varios or Cor15/20. The AC pumps you guys have mentioned look like good options but i feel like the three that I listed are great pumps and will retain value in case I ever want to sell it. Also, for example a Sicce or Eheim will cost me around $200, for the extra $75 id rather get a cor15 with extra GPH and more features because I have an Apex to go with it. Would like someones input on the Cor! Thanks for everyones input btw, really looked at other options that I wasnt initially considering
Im sure you'd do fine short term with any of those pumps - Cor sounds like it would fit you best since your an apex user.

I will say I'd bet money every time that that a 167.00 SP4 from amazon would outlast any of the pumps you mentioned by 2x or more without any repair or replacement parts, while using roughly the same or less power and also being dead silent. I guess I just favor a proven track record of reliability on my most critical piece of life support equipment than potential resale value or controllability. Good luck with your system and I hope a Cor pump serves you well. I think you'll be most happy with that option given your priorities in the equation.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 41.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 34.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back