Sump for beginners/overflow box

swoons

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been searching YouTube for help on where to start but a lot of the videos are on setting up the sump tank itself whereas I’m more concerned/lost on setting up the return. I’m completely new to the sump aspect of it and I’m trying to plan it out for my tank that I will be doing (40g breeder).

I’m wondering if drilling holes in my tank is the best method or if overflow boxes are easy and good to use? Does anyone have any suggestions on where to start or if there is a good guide I can be following for this. Any help is appreciated.

BitReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I drilled my own tank. It wasn’t too hard. Just watched some videos on YouTube and did what they did. Use a diamond hole saw and a good drill.

for me the hardest part was where to put the hole for my overflow. The template that came with my box seemed way too low. I felt like the water level was going to be 2” below the trim which I didn’t want. I raised up higher and it turned out fine.

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been searching YouTube for help on where to start but a lot of the videos are on setting up the sump tank itself whereas I’m more concerned/lost on setting up the return. I’m completely new to the sump aspect of it and I’m trying to plan it out for my tank that I will be doing (40g breeder).

I’m wondering if drilling holes in my tank is the best method or if overflow boxes are easy and good to use? Does anyone have any suggestions on where to start or if there is a good guide I can be following for this. Any help is appreciated.
Drilled are better. I've tried overflow boxed before and they all fail pretty regularly. They lose siphon, clog up with stuff. I was very regularly fixing my external overflows on my 125g probably a couple times a month. My saving grace was that I had two, so things still functioned when one failed.

On my most recent tanks, one is a drilled modular marine ghost overflow, which is my favorite, and my other is an older reef ready corner overflow. I've had exactly one issue in 7 years with that tank that the hole in the top of the durso clogged once with saltcreep and made slurping noises. No leak or major issue. Just had to clean the hole and back to normal.

\m/reefsnmetal\m/

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been running an Eshopps HOB overflow for three years on one tank and have had no issues once I ditched the filter sponges it came with. They would clog fast and decrease flow. It has never lost its siphon even when a tornado knocked my power out for 24 hours.

OP
OP
S

swoons

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been running an Eshopps HOB overflow for three years on one tank and have had no issues once I ditched the filter sponges it came with. They would clog fast and decrease flow. It has never lost its siphon even when a tornado knocked my power out for 24 hours.
Good to know. This still requires a separate return pipe right?

adpuls34

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too was intimidated with the drilling process but I am glad I did it. Most overflows come with the template and the drill bit. When in doubt, err on the side of putting the overflow too low. You can only drill once! I went with the Fiji cube 800 gph and it works great. You will want to put a gate valve directly beneath the overflow to manage the noise and flow rate. I have a 30 gallon rimless display with a 10 gallon sump. I used one of the "10 gallon sump" DIY setups on amazon that has the different barriers for each compartment.

In terms of plumbing and specifically the return line, I used soft tubing which was more forgiving that hard plumbing it with PVC. Return pump is pretty simple. I use the vivosun 800 gph on amazon for $25. It is quiet and is still working great after a year.

Whatever you do, you will look back and want to do things differently as you learn if it your first reef like mine. For instance, I wish I would have made space for a manifold for easy additions for things like a UV and a reactor.

\m/reefsnmetal\m/

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know. This still requires a separate return pipe right?
My return is hose instead of pipe and it's attached to a hard plastic return nozzle that's HOB as well. Drilling the overflow definitely provides a peace of mind. The deciding factor for me to go HOB was that I couldn't afford a new tank if I destroyed one trying to drill it for the first time.

Lou City Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too was intimidated with the drilling process but I am glad I did it. Most overflows come with the template and the drill bit. When in doubt, err on the side of putting the overflow too low. You can only drill once! I went with the Fiji cube 800 gph and it works great. You will want to put a gate valve directly beneath the overflow to manage the noise and flow rate. I have a 30 gallon rimless display with a 10 gallon sump. I used one of the "10 gallon sump" DIY setups on amazon that has the different barriers for each compartment.

In terms of plumbing and specifically the return line, I used soft tubing which was more forgiving that hard plumbing it with PVC. Return pump is pretty simple. I use the vivosun 800 gph on amazon for $25. It is quiet and is still working great after a year.

Whatever you do, you will look back and want to do things differently as you learn if it your first reef like mine. For instance, I wish I would have made space for a manifold for easy additions for things like a UV and a reactor.
Hey Adpuls34,

I'm about to drill my tank and add a 10 gallon sump and just came across this thread. A few quick question, what material did you use for the soft plumbing? Did you use soft plumbing for the return as well? What filtration do you run in your chambers? Also, about 2 months of that set up, do you still like the soft plumbing or do you wish you would have gone hard plumbing?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 32 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back