Sump growing algae like crazy

WhiskeyCoffee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So a while back I was growing beautiful chaeto in my sump but I was also getting insane amounts of other types of nasty algae that was getting out of control. I was using a LED bulb, 5000k that was 1150 lumens.

I have a skimmer going now but I'd like to do chaeto again because I'm getting GHA and I think it's because I pulled the chaeto. What kind of bulb should I use (it's a 10g sump) to avoid algae growing everywhere including in/on my skimmer? Also how can I prevent algae from growing on my skimmer and filter sock?

grhppCJ.jpg

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing I can think of from seeing the picture is to divide the sump with black acrylic and have a direct light only on the chaeto side.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
whats wrong with algae growing in the sump is my question. I belive thats kinda the point. you can go with a smaller phillips par 30 5000k bulb(its a spot lens not a broad spread), black crate, black acrylic etc etc. I still think its going to be an uphill battle.
I have(had, just upgraded) twist compacts and led that blasted light everywhere. I don't get algae in the skimmer socks etc, I get coralline, sponges and such in those chambers but the refugium 2 inches away is growing great and has all the sometimes funk or growth etc..

OP
OP
WhiskeyCoffee

WhiskeyCoffee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The more algae in your sump, the less in your display!

I was growing nasty black stringy algae on my filter sock. Also I don't want algae growing in my skimmer haha. I think I'm going to get some plexiglass and spray paint it with Krylon Fusion or plasti dip and use that has a divider to block light from hitting the filter sock and skimmer.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was growing nasty black stringy algae on my filter sock. Also I don't want algae growing in my skimmer haha. I think I'm going to get some plexiglass and spray paint it with Krylon Fusion or plasti dip and use that has a divider to block light from hitting the filter sock and skimmer.
yea, new tank maybe too..... I do wonder why that is. I do have a pretty high return rate.
Man Id feel better about black acrylic. Yea, im paranoid.

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Don't do that. Just build a black acrylic baffle between the 2 departments and use silicone

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I"m not sure how fish safe plastidip is and if it will withstand saltwater. It doesn't have to be black. Any non clear acrylic or pvc will work for you.

OP
OP
WhiskeyCoffee

WhiskeyCoffee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I"m not sure how fish safe plastidip is and if it will withstand saltwater. It doesn't have to be black. Any non clear acrylic or pvc will work for you.

I looked up the manufacture's MSDS for Plasti Dip and they claim it's inert and non-toxic when cured. Manufacturer also states it is food safe. It's just rubber. I could think of many foreign materials that we use in our systems that sound really bad - super glue, plastic, silicone, rubber, acrylic, PVC, etc.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 17 37.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 26.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 8 17.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 8 17.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back